Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nothing but bullets through your Glock's bore?

dglock9

My Personal Practice has become to never clean the bore of my barrels. I do use a brass rod to scrape the deposits out of the chamber. But, I've learned to leave the bore alone and it very slowly becomes shinier and cleaner all by itself. Years ago I occasionally scrubbed the bore with a brass bore brush. But, doing so always seemed to cause the bore to revert to a dirtier look with more shooting, so I eventually stopped ever putting anything down the bore except bullets...

Good luck,

Wil

From - http://www.schuemann.com/Content/clean0.htm

Shuemann's talking here about pistol barrels made of 416 stainless steel. But I am curious if anyone will admit to no longer cleaning the bore of of their stock oem Glock barrels? I have a G34 that I've shot 2K of 147gr Bear Creek molycoated lead through (over 3.8gr of Unique) without cleaning. Everytime I clean this gun's bore (total round count is about 10K) the groups expand and then shrink as the round count increases (over multiple sessions). The spent brass looks normal and the bore is cleaner after having 2K down the pipe than it is after cleaning down to bare metal and firing 200 rds. If I had access to a chronograph and plenty of spare time I'd probably experiment and see if the velocity average increases following roundcount. I keep the ramp and mouth of the chamber clean and have never had a malfunction with this gun.

Any thoughts?

I have a stock G23 that is a few years old (about 3k thru it, all fmj) and has never seen a bore brush. I don't shoot it a lot but it's one of my most accurate stock guns. When I clean it, I just make sure the chamber's clean and run a patch down the bore. It might just be me, but I swear the bore is shinier than the day I got it.

I used to clean My Schueman open gun barrels with an eletronic/liquid bore cleaner (I forget the name of that thing) and my guns would always shoot larger groups after cleaning till they were shot a bit. Needless to say I don't bother to clean hangun barrels much any more.

I agree, I only shoot jacketed bullets and I only clean the chamber, the outside and the ramp of the barrel. In my open guns I clean the comp occassionally as needed. Every once in a while a boresnake finds its way thru the barrel and thats it. I havent notice any change in accuracy and the barrels are very shinny...

How does this work with lead and molly coated lead (aka masterblaster)?

That's the million dollar question. I'm hoping that the moly/polymer coated lead bullets (masterblaster, precision, bear creek) perform similarly to jacketed bullets in this respect, but maybe not.

As noted above, Schuemann recommends against moly coated bullets and his barrels use standard rifling, not polygonal rifling.

As far as moly coated, IE Precision Bullets, go, I have used nothing but them in .40S&W and .45 for a couple of years now. The only reason I drag a boresnake down the barrel occasionally is to remove the powder residue from the titegroup powder... and that is for aesthetics only ;)

YMMV but it works for me

dj

I clean my stock Glock 21 barrel with solvent and STAINLESS brushes!! I have 10's of thousands(probably over 100,000) of jacketed and a few thousand lead rds through it. But remember, the Glock barrels are treated with tennifer. If anything this gun has improved accuracy over the years.

I would follow Wil's advice if I owned one of his barrels though.

domzilla

I shoot nothing but jhp's and go by Will's advice for Nowlin 1911 barrels and OEM Glock barrels.

BUT

For shooting lead or moly-coated lead or even plated lead thru a Glock barrel, you have the issue of the legendary/infamous/real/imaginary/dead-serious [take your pick] "KaBoom" syndrome. If you search on here or glocktalk for kaboom, k-boom, KB etc you will have more info than you can get thru in one night.

I don't know if it's true or not, but the most popular theory for the cause of KB's is a build-up of lead at the front of a Glock's rifling. Many many shooters buy an aftermarket barrel to shoot lead, out of caution/fear of this happening. Others just scrub the heck out of their OEM barrel with a bronze or brass brush.

2nd-most-popular KB theory is gun firing out of battery: lead build-up could be a cause.

After shooting for years, decided i don't like breathing lead at the indoor range or in my cleaning & reloading room so i quit buying lead or even FMJ bullets. Can't buy as many but it's clean.

I clean my stock Glock 21 barrel with solvent and STAINLESS brushes!! I have 10's of thousands(probably over 100,000) of jacketed and a few thousand lead rds through it. But remember, the Glock barrels are treated with tennifer. If anything this gun has improved accuracy over the years.

I would follow Wil's advice if I owned one of his barrels though.

Stainless steel brushes ??? Is there a real need for them??

Hmmmmm ??

Yes and no.

If you shoot jacketed bullets, not really, unless you use them only in the chamber area to loosen up debris and follow up with a clean patch.

If you shoot lead bullets at a speed high enough to leave deposits, a stainless brush could help push them out without damaging/scoring the bore, provided you push the brush in from the chamber and out of the front, remove the brush by unscrewing it and don't pulit back out. Do it only a few times. And never,ever, reverse directions in a scrubbing action inside the barrel. "Tornado" style (round spiral wound) stainless brushes can be helpfull to remove superficial debris but won't scrub/scrape/push out effectively from the inside corners of the rifling. Now remember we are talking ONLY "layered" lead deposits that will keep on thickening unless thinned out. Brass brushes are too soft to do much in helping remove this harmfull lead without using (even more) harmfull solvent/chemicals.

You guys talked me into it--I'm gonna try this.

I've applied this theory to all my guns. In fact, I've taken it a step further and now I only clean them when they stop working. It's amazing how much more fun shooting is without the hassle of cleaning. Especially with my Glocks which run longer than any other guns no matter how dirty they get.

-Cuz.

[i've applied this theory to all my guns. In fact, I've taken it a step further and now I only clean them when they stop working. It's amazing how much more fun shooting is without the hassle of cleaning. Especially with my Glocks which run longer than any other guns no matter how dirty they get.

-Cuz.

Well...maybe not with my carry guns. ;)