Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Duane,

Now I know what you mean about the 9mm 1911. Just got a Springfield 1911 9mm. Wow!

You will go WOW when you have failure to feed from one of those makeshift magazines trying to feed those short 9mm's and it costs you the stage or the match...the 38 Supers loaded down are a better choice..

Actually, I've found the key to reliability in 9mm is the Robbie Leatham designed magazines made for Springfield by OEM Metalform. Have you tried those, tl? I've found, literally, I could turn a 9mm 1911 jammamatic into a 100 percent reliable gun just by switching to those magazines.

Actually, I've found the key to reliability in 9mm is the Robbie Leatham designed magazines made for Springfield by OEM Metalform. Have you tried those, tl? I've found, literally, I could turn a 9mm 1911 jammamatic into a 100 percent reliable gun just by switching to those magazines.

No I haven't tried them....might have to build another 1911 9mm if they work..I'll try em...Thanks

No I haven't tried them....might have to build another 1911 9mm if they work..I'll try em...Thanks

Yer gonna build a new gun just to test a theory about magazines...? :blink:

Sounds like something I would do....hehe

Thought you washed away....

If it works...had a great 9mm in a Combat Commander, just could not get the darn thing to feed...this was 5 yrs ago..

TRUE!!!!!

Why would you opt for a 9mm? Not addressing this to you TL. When a .45 cuts bigger holes for our games and it can be down loaded to minor for Steel or IDPA????

PS, YIKES, this is my second post in 3 days in the IDPA section!!

Edited by zhunter

And cheap factory ammo. And the fact that the ammo is right at the power level we need for USPSA Production and IDPA ESP/SSP with no need for handloading. And the light recoil.

Hey Duane,

My sister just bought a Springfield 1911 in 9mm......she is looking for a quantity of reliable mags.

This from Metalform's site:

Springfield 9mm Front Ramp configuration

Part No Comp Cal Cap Tube Flwr Base Retail QTY 1 to 6 Qty 7 to 39 Qty 40 to 399 Qty 400 to 1000 Pkg at 200 Add to Cart

9FR-795 >NEW 9mm 9 S F W 39.34 29.15 14.57 13.61 N/A ADD

9FR-795B >NEW 9mm 9 S F WB 44.83 33.21 16.60 15.52 N/A ADD

Would these be the units to order?

Thanks,

Zee

I have never had any feed issues with my 9mm Kimber. I use 10 round 38 Super mags. Gun does not seem to care if I load long or short. OTOH I wonder why 1911 lovers do not just down load their .45 to a 130-135 pf and shoot ESP with it. One is not at much of a disadvantage using 8 round mags. If you think about it how many IDPA stages require more than 17 rounds.

A 200 gr SWC at 650 fps is softer than a 9mm. And no you are not waiting on the slide. The slide will cycle faster than you can pull the trigger. Those big 200 gr slugs make a really large hole. You will pick up several seconds every match with hits that cut the -0 circle that a 9mm would miss.

OTOH I wonder why 1911 lovers do not just down load their .45 to a 130-135 pf and shoot ESP with it. One is not at much of a disadvantage using 8 round mags. If you think about it how many IDPA stages require more than 17 rounds.

A 200 gr SWC at 650 fps is softer than a 9mm. And no you are not waiting on the slide. The slide will cycle faster than you can pull the trigger. Those big 200 gr slugs make a really large hole. You will pick up several seconds every match with hits that cut the -0 circle that a 9mm would miss.

Those are good points, but in this area I see stage after stage in which 9+1 is an undeniable advantage. Sure, you still gotta get your hits, but I can't tell you how many 12-round stages I've seen in IDPA matches....

And, in an all-steel 1911, reloaded 9mm's can be awful soft and snappy, and of course there's a huge cost advantage to reloading. 9mm brass is usually free for the picking at almost any range around here.

I do see your point, but chacun a son gout.

IMO, my G22 with a steel guide rod, and -- if I can find one -- magwell and grip-tape is a pretty solid ESP pistol at a fraction of the S*I costs, yet faster to reload than a 1911.

I have a Wilson 9mm that I got to "practice" with, but I liked it so much I've used in both IDPA and USPSA and had fun. I am using the Wilson 9mm version mags and I've jammed them once outdoors when the mags ate sand after dropping them. I had no time to clean and I got burned because of it. But, my other 1911s have all done the same thing on the same range once the mags hit the sand without getting them cleaned really well. The metalform bases don't come off of mine which is a real pain though.

I just looked at my 9mm mags and as it looks, they appear to be the Springfield front ramp version mags. There is no spacer in the rear and the front of the mag just has a crimped dent along the entire length of the mag which forms a spacer plus a small ramp at the top where it ends. I've spent no time tuning these mags and they worked great out of the box until they got dirty.

Edited by WickedBag

I have a 9 mm Kimber Target II and it is very accurate and reliable. I guess I am lucky, I use 38 Super mags and 9 mm mags.

I have a EGW Custom Springfield 9x23 and a Colt Series 80 9x23 and both of these pistols shoot nines without a problem.

Nine's are cheap to reload compared to the forty and forty-five and I think a little quicker to shoot, if you are the average Joe.

I don't shoot IDPA as much as other types of competition, but I put my Glocks back in the safe and use the Kimber when I do.

Buddy

Hello: I used to use Kimber/Metalform magazines with no problem at all. I did have to open the feed lips up a bit and also to make them the same. I sold those mags since I am building a 2011 9mm ESP pistol. The reloads are faster with the double stack. I do use a Glock for SSP in 9mm as well so loading the same ammo does help. Thanks, Eric

The Metalform forward ramp 9mm mags are 9 round capacity, have a welded base and are drilled for screw-on mag bump pads. With just a little deburr effort, you have absolutely the finest, most dependable 9mm 1911 magazine bar-none. For most IDPA COF, you WANT their 9 round capacity vs other makers 10 rounders (9mm or .38 Super). You may expend a little effort at first getting them ready to run, but once you're there, you will be ecstatic.

9mm can be just as accurate and dependable as a .38 Super. Brass cost of 9mm over .38 Super represents a huge savings.

I have worked on .45 Minor ESP along with Joe, but it is not a New Thing.

I saw at an early IDPA Nationals, a S&W rep - not a pro shooter paid to win for the company, just one of several employees showing the flag - shooting a DA/SA .45 in SSP with Federal Match Midrange .45 ACP - a 185 at 750 (maybe) power factor 138 tops.

I think one driver toward 9mm for everything feasible - IDPA SSP and ESP, USPSA Production - is due to the numbers of shooters disinclined to handload. Prices are up, but people still say that "reloading 9mm is not worth my time."

Metalform now has X-tended - protuberant but still Boxable - magazines of 10 rnd capacity in .40 and 10mm. I await their 9mm and .38.

I still say that if you find 9+1 capacity a real advantage - five double taps and reload for the next whole target - that the MD is not doing his job to mix up the CoFs. Ought to be a good number of 3 hit target stages and some steel.

Edited by Jim Watson

Metalform now has X-tended - protuberant but still Boxable - magazines of 10 rnd capacity in .40 and 10mm. I await their 9mm and .38.

I have been calling Metalform for years asking for a 10 round 9mm mag. It's been a while since I pestered them but the last time I talked to them a lady assured me that they would be available in January, that was last January. :angry2: Wilson and Tripp have been saying the same thing for a few years now and they still don't have any. I'm running some of Tripp's 10 rd 9mm mags and they work but he quit selling them to redesign them and hasn't resumed yet.