Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloads

Turbo23

I practice reloads every night as best as possible. About 100 or so.

How much do some of you all practice this. I know that it is beneficial, but am I doing this too much and not enough of something else that would do more good?

Thanks for your time all

Todd

Get Steve Anderson's Dry Fire books. You can do different drills that help your draws, transitions and reloads. To me it is more beneficial to put different skills together instead of just standing and doing reloads over and over.

Depends on your division. If you are shooting 10 round mags like I do in Hi you might average 3-4 reloads a stage, n which case your reload speed has a big impact on your time. But figure reguardless of division or stage you will allways have target transitions. I know people who spend hours working on their draw speed, even it is a very small portion of stage time. I can generally hit an easy target in the 1.4 to 1.1 second area I could practice the heck out of it and probably only get down to .9, look at the average stage and do dry fire training and drills in the same percent as you would use them.

I think it's harder to get fast than to stay fast.

When I was really looking for major improvement in standard loads, I used to work them 4+ times a week, 100's of reps a time.

Once they got fast and CONSISTENT I moved onto to other weak areas.

Now 3 years later, they need work again, so I am back to working them 1-2 times weekly maybe 20 min at a time.

I don't know how many. I guess I do a couple of hundred a week. My reloads are if I can do 10 in a row with no issues I go to something else. I have a reload video in my range diary that you can watch but I don't know if it's the right way that it needs to be done. It's just the way that works for me. No extended mag button or anything like that. Just work hard at it and you'll get it down.

Chris C.

i use the wifes ironing board,put some towels down, setup behind the chairs in front of the tv..and practice that way useing snap caps ,3 per mag ,in 6 mags,and work it off the belt...2 to 3 times per month...then while in the motel room,night before the match,just work them and dropem on the bed..at least 100 times...and...i'll air mag while walking around at work....

DP is spot on.

How many times to practice? A lot. A lot more than you think.

I've always said that if you want a kick ass reload, dry fire 10,000 reloads a week for 2 months.

Gman,

I used to put a laundry basket full of some towels in a chair and practice over that.

DP is spot on.

How many times to practice? A lot. A lot more than you think.

I've always said that if you want a kick ass reload, dry fire 10,000 reloads a week for 2 months.

Gman,

I used to put a laundry basket full of some towels in a chair and practice over that.

+1

I have done countless reloads on the smallest of A zones for 18 months now over a bed. The less you are bending over to grab magazines the better off you are!

• 2 months later...

I recently started practicing reloads without dropping a mag above a glass table. It makes me focus. If I fumble a load and drop the mag (loaded with dummy ammo) it will fall on the table.

I have become a lot more consistent this way.

I practice loads all the time. I love them. There's something about smoking a reload that just feels good.

Having an awesome reload is better (to me) than having a speedy draw.

That's the one thing that I've noticed in my own training I've got to focus on. I loved having a solid reload back in the day. Today I'm not there and look forward to getting that component of my game back.

Also - lim. 10, SS, and production have all added emphasis to the reload. It is (in those divisions) once again a competitive advantage!!!! :cheers:

J

my reloads are inconsistent. They used to start in practice in 2.3 second range now they start in the 1.7 range. After a few they move to 1.5 range. They have not gone lower. So I know I need to kept practicing (this is a stand in one spot shooting).

In a match my reloads go really well. I have noticed that the more I incorporate live fire the faster they get. I do four targets, draw, 2 shots, reload, 2 shots, reload, 2 shots, etc.

I knock off two seconds on a Vice Pres from two month ago. So I know I am seeing improvement. My goal is to get them in the 1.3 range.