Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

carrying on a motorcycle

ErikW

Members with good memories might recall I once asked for suggestions on how to carry on a dirt bike. That problem was solved, thank you very much.

Now I need a way to carry on a street bike. On the bike itself, not on my person. Something in or around the tankbag. I'll even consider a whole new tankbag.

I pulled my gun tonight, in my truck. Never would have been able to do that as quickly or discreetly on my bike, which also can't be put in reverse and can't make a sharp u-turn for "flight" instead of "fight." So I really need a better system.

Tank bag.

Dont remember who made the one I have but it has a velcro closure on the frt. and zippers on the sides.

All I have to do is grab the flap, pull up and I have access to anything inside.

I set mine up with foam pads from an old rifle case, cut out for a pistol & mag so they dont slide around.

If I can remember I will check and see who made the bag

If you wear a jacket you could just go with a shoulder holster.

Look at Western cowboy type leather holster shops and websights, many make Pommel holsters concealed and open, They are basically holsters and bags that go on the front of the saddle also traditional rear of saddle bags, are made to carry revolvers, you might find something that suits your needs, I would lean towards body carry, but as I have ridden in cool and cold weather, the way you bundle and seal clothing makes getting to a concealed shoulder rig problematic. I think I would go with the shoulder rig and modify my jacket to open faster.

I was in my truck, remotely opened my garage door, coming to the driveway when the garage light lit up a guy snooping around the side of my house and a woman coming from my front door. I discreetly got out the Glock. She said, "Don't shoot! Don't shoot!" even though my gun wasn't visible to them. Guilty conscience? She came up to my window with a pamphlet and made a lame pitch for carpet cleaning. Nice cover for scoping out homes to burglarize, except that it was 9:40 PM in the burbs. Really sucks that they got a look into my garage with four motorcycles, umpteen snowboards, gun safe, etc.

My thread on the motorcycle forum went to hell quickly. This is what a female wrote:

Well, guys with tiny dicks have to do something.

I never figured her mom for the kiss and tell type.

On the other hand, someone suggested this:

clynonmmx.jpg

What kind of bike? What tank bag are you running right now?

Depends on the riding gear you wear as well.

I carry under the jacket IWB. Then again, I haven't practiced drawing with riding gear on. Might be a problem.

Don't like having a weapon in a tank bag. Then I have to take the bag with me everytime I go somewhere (gas station, store, etc.)

I carry mine IWB while riding. If Im wearing a T-shirt it covers pretty well and if I have my riding jacket on, it coveres it as well. You might have to shrink the size of gun you carry though :( . I normaly carry a P3AT while on the bike or my S&W 642.

I don't like (or trust) any form of "off body" carry. It's just too easy to get separated from your pistol.

I think most IWB and strong side holsters often print big time and they would be damn hard to draw from.... wearing any form of jacket.

My choice for many thousands of street miles is a Galco horizontal shoulder holster. I used to carry a Glock 36 that way.. and now that is how I carry a Colt officers model..... or in very hot weather a Kahr P M - 9. Your gun won't print and it can be drawn in an instant. It's also great in a car or truck because you can draw while you have a shoulder harness buckled.

Erik,

In a situation like you describe, if you would've been riding the bike it would've been better to be carrying on your person. You could've gotten off the bike, engage these people without flashing the blaster but with your hand on it. Quicker than trying to go back to the bag.

No CCW in NV?

The tank bag option would be the way to go for long rides, but for daily stop-and-go routine stuff I'd suggest carry on your person.

Be safe!

She said, "Don't shoot! Don't shoot!" even though my gun wasn't visible to them. Guilty conscience?

Really sucks that they got a look into my garage...

Brother...she already knew you had guns in there.

You are about to get hit. Call the law and get some drive-by patrols going...and do everything else you can.

Erik, if you do not have an alarm system and video surveillance along with a bad ass dog in the yard, then get all these things NOW, or you will not have the other stuff in your garage anymore real soon now!

And start spending some quality time at home. Maybe take that 2 week vacation and watch a lot of TV at all hours of the day, every day. These type of folks have a couple week memory, then they forget about you when they stop by again and see the teeth bared ;)

......and made a lame pitch for carpet cleaning. Nice cover for scoping out homes to burglarize, except that it was 9:40 PM in the burbs.

That must on page one of the play book. I had 2 guys use the same lame excuse on me a couple of weeks ago. As soon as I opened the door (with a full hand behind the door, of course ;) ) this guy starts talking fast, showing me some cheaply laminated card describing their carpet cleaning options (holding it at belt-level, hoping I would look down, I guess). Then without slowing his banter at all he promptly stuck his head in my door and started looking around.

I jabbed a finger in his chest to back him up and explained that since I'm always at home telecommuting, I'm used to the way the carpet looks and have no desire for their services.

============================================

A quick check on packing.org shows Nevada has both Resident and Non-resident permits available and is a Shall-Issue state. Hopefully Erik already has that base covered. They require one of those CCW classes, though.

She said, "Don't shoot! Don't shoot!" even though my gun wasn't visible to them. Guilty conscience?

Really sucks that they got a look into my garage...

Brother...she already knew you had guns in there.

You are about to get hit. Call the law and get some drive-by patrols going...and do everything else you can.

Good observation...

I agree that a security camera would be a good investment. I added one to our home and its hooked to a computer. It can be set up through the software to be motion activated recording, can have the video emailed anywhere, have it call numbers, sound an in home alarm, the options are numerous. For less than 800.00 you can have a CCTV DVR card, professional software and a couple of cameras. Another great thing about it is that you or the kids can see what made that strange noise outside after dark.

PM me if you want info, I did alot of research before I purchased my system.

These guys have a lot of good deals on CCTV stuff. It's easy to install and the number of options is huge.

http://www.supercircuits.com/index.asp

B&W systems have better low light sensitivity and resolution for a lot cheaper price point than the color systems and work just as well if you are on a budget. The DVR is a much better option than the VHS VCR time lapse recorders.

Just make sure the DVR, VCR, or PC you record with can't be taken, or you lose the evidence too ;/

BTW, the PCI capture card based systems are all Windows only!