Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DENIED!

revchuck

Last month, I decided to try out a little bottomfeeder for a carry gun, or at least as a back-up to a full-size one. I picked up a little Kel-Tec PF-9 (single stack 9x19) and put a couple hundred rounds through it. It ran fine, but hurt to shoot, so I decided to trade it in on a S&W 642. Last Friday I took it back to my FLD (from whom I had bought it) and made the deal and poured myself a cup of coffee.

He called in the 4473 info, waited a minute, then I saw his jaw bounce off the floor. "Ma'am, that can't be correct!" A little more discussion, and he hung up. I had been denied. Most of the guns I own came from (or through, on out-of-state purchases) him, with the appropriate paperwork done each time and no problems.

He was actually more upset than I was. The first woman he spoke to had refused to pass him to a supervisor, so he called back and got a different one who did pass him to one. It was explained to him, then to me, that my name was similar to someone else's, so they denied the transfer. The fact that I had supplied my SSN was irrelevant - the BG's info didn't include the SSN, so there was no way they could tell whether I was him or me.

Now I'm waiting on a package from ATF. I've got to go through the jugscrew of being fingerprinted AGAIN, plus fill out some paperwork, to get a special PIN.

I'm 55. I'm nowhere near perfect, but I have a decent personal and professional reputation. I can't begin to describe how it feels to be treated like some dirtbag criminal...just because I have a similar name.

Edited by revchuck

Heh, I have a friend whose name is only 1 letter different from one of the country's most notorious murderers... (who also happens to be a free man nowadays, thanks to our lame ass prison terms and court system.)

Edited by askomiko

Welcome to my world.

Of the last 4 or 5 firearms transactions I have made, only one was approved immediately.

The rest were put on delay / next level.

They always go through within a few days but I always have to wait.

It usually upsets the dealer more than it does me.

In the days before the current system, firearms purchases in my state were approved by the local sheriff after an

NCIC check and a seven day wait.

I once had a firearm denied and immediately went to the sheriff's office demanding to know what was the problem.

It was a simple case of mistaken identity.

It turns out that there is a known felon in the system with the same name, and born one day after me.

The only way you could tell us apart is the SSN (which was also similar).

Not surprising that they always look twice at me before approval.

I have come to expect it.

I suppose I can live with it if it keeps guns away from the "Evil" Tony.

Tony

Edited by 38superman

I've yet to be denied, knock on wood, but I'm always delayed when I make a purchase. I have a CWP and it makes no difference. I guess being a Latin guy named Angel born in New York City buying guns in Virginia raises some kind of red flag :rolleyes: .

Angel

Though I haven't had any problems with b/g checks for guns or work within the law enforcement community (but I hold my breath every time my records are run), I did experience a credit agency's typographical error on my Soc.Sec.# last year that was a bit of a hassle: They'd (Experian*) typed in my Soc just one digit off the correct number, and the number they'd typed in was that of a woman in Texas who had all MANNER of horrendous credit problems and this flagged my account and cancelled my credit card suddenly one day. I had to write to Experian with the full explanation (which they dutifully corrected within the time they are required to do so, thankfully), but it took several months to straighten out (and I only have the one active credit card), and it shut down my eBay account and a few other commercial things until it was re-instated. I had to BORROW a credit card to stay in business.

Soooo.... the tiniest error in record keeping can disrupt your life. Yes, been there.

*The other two agencies had it right.

I know what it is like to have a name similar to a notorious and despised figure. It is a shame that just because your Mom happened to watch the same TV soap opera and gave you a name like a criminal that YOU should be held in utter contempt!!!!

Thanks for your post,

William J Clinten

Edited by Merlin Orr

I always get bumped up to the next level...Not sure why. I then get the approval. The FBI has multiples of my fingerprints since i am a physician and have had to provide them on several occasions.

Sorry you have to go through the BS of proving your innocence, it shouldn't be that way.

Its been happaning a lot.

Lots of holds, lots of kick ups.

Last time I called one in I asked about this and was told they had a major data dump from several sources (HS) that apparently listed lots of alias.

So the system hits a name and bingo, hold or up you go.

Heh, I have a friend whose name is only 1 letter different from one of the country's most notorious murderers... (who also happens to be a free man nowadays, thanks to our lame ass prison terms and court system.)

Stabs McDagger?

You know BJ Simpson?? :rolleyes:

For two years I have had to wait a couple of days before being approved... so much for instant. Out of the last 25-30 purchases one went through without having to wait.

No big deal for me as I have yet to "need" the new gun same day

Last time I called one in I asked about this and was told they had a major data dump from several sources (HS) that apparently listed lots of alias.

WOW I'm in for a wait next time....

Scott Peterson (and no my girlfriend is not Amber, and Yes my wife is alive.)

I still get questions.

As one of the FFL holders in the nation. I see alot of people delayed because they hold a CDL. I have only had one person denied in 5 years and the ATF took care of that one.

Simular names are a problem however my wife was delayed when I bought her a gun and was testing the system. She is listed on my FFL as a principle as well as my borther. I found out that I am not supposed to transfer a firearm to her and call it in because it causes all kinds of problems for their system.

I still get questions.

D'oh! You would think that the system knows better... :blink:

As one of the FFL holders in the nation. I see alot of people delayed because they hold a CDL. I have only had one person denied in 5 years and the ATF took care of that one.

Simular names are a problem however my wife was delayed when I bought her a gun and was testing the system. She is listed on my FFL as a principle as well as my borther. I found out that I am not supposed to transfer a firearm to her and call it in because it causes all kinds of problems for their system.

Why does a commercial drivers license cause delays?

Because CDL's are a special DL based on Federal Regs and Administrared by the States. There used to be some truck drivers that had multiple DL's and since they were very mobile they could have had convictions or warrents in several states and now when the ATF checks backgrounds they do a more through check

This is my speculation as I have no basis of fact except that 100% of sales to CDL holders come back delayed.

David

I still get questions.

WOW Thank God only one of me in the whole Us. I can count the TRoms' on one hand LOL

Good luck getting your new kid home

Edited by R/T Performance