Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf SPP - Anyone Tested These Yet?

ChrisStock

I am sitting on 8K or so of Magtech primers, and realize that by shooting at my current rate, they will be gone quickly. I am looking at grabbing 10-15K of SPP, and Wolf looks like the best deal available at the moment. Has anyone here actually used them? I am interested in using them in my 9MM and .40 loads specifically. I have no issues with their finished ammo, and am just awaiting further info on their primers before making the wife go crazy with another order of reloading components.

I am sitting on 8K or so of Magtech primers, and realize that by shooting at my current rate, they will be gone quickly. I am looking at grabbing 10-15K of SPP, and Wolf looks like the best deal available at the moment. Has anyone here actually used them? I am interested in using them in my 9MM and .40 loads specifically. I have no issues with their finished ammo, and am just awaiting further info on their primers before making the wife go crazy with another order of reloading components.

Never even seen wolf primers but if the price right I give them a go :surprise:

Are the dimensions correct and do they seem to work in Dillon Presses?

Questions I can't answer. Their availablity has been limited in the past. The only references I had seen were for use in Highpower rifles. They were imported directly from Russia for a few years.

I guess that's also something I need to know. :P Thanks for the assist...I didn't even think about that. I'll know soon enough, as I'll be ordering on Friday, and will post if there is anything noticably different/odd about them. Thanks for all of the input so far, folks, it makes the reloading process much easier hearing it here.

• 2 weeks later...

I asked about the PMC primers here a while ago because I had the opportunity to buy out the last a gun store found tucked in the back of their storage area for the original price from three years ago. I chrono'd them against the Winchester spp's I was using and could not tell any difference with the primers being the only variable. There is no difference in how they seat using the 550. I just bought a Dillon mechanical primer filler from Brian but haven't used it yet so I hope they work in it - I bought 30k. They are marked as made in Russia and are the red boxes NOT the green. I don't know anything about them being the same as the Wolf.

Would love the update. Thanks

How timely that you should ask, as I used them in a match yesterday shooting in Limited with my M&P .40. The primers were perfect, my performance was not. I had no problems at all during the loading process, and they were 100% reliable when shooting. I haven't chronoed them to see if there is any difference between them and Win SPP or Magtech SPP, but as long as they are performing their function of igniting the powder, they'll work just fine for my purposes.

Thanks for the info Lighteye67.

How much did you pay for the Wolf SPP?

You mentioned Magtech SPP and I just picked some up at $18.99 + tax at a local Sportsmans Warehouse and I'm curious how you found them?

• 5 months later...

I loaded some Wolf Small Pistol primers this past weekend. They are tight going in and you do need to push a little harder for them to seat. I used them with different brass and here is what I found. Going from the easiest to seat to the hardest to seat was:

R/P

Federal

Winchester

WCC

R/P brass seated the easiest.

I ordered 1000 of each large pistol and small pistol. I can find no difference except they seem to be a little tight when seating in my 550 Dillon with most of the brass I normally use. The easiest to seat were those seated into Speer brass.

None failed to seat and none were visibily damaged after seating.

The crhono showed no noticable differences except those most likely caused by temperature differences according to my log book. I will be using them in the future until I find a reason not to. The cost of bullets dictates cutting expenses where possible these days.

They are not as Sensitive as Federals....I tried them precrushed in my lightened actions.....compare them to Winchester in terms of sensitivity, in my testing. I use a 1050 and precrush the primers as I have really light actions on my 8shot guns......FWIW

DougC

• 1 year later...

Was loading primer tubes tonight and caught three primers in one box that had a cup but no anvil. The explosive compound was present, but the anvils simply fell out as I lifted the box off the primers. They were in the box, so I was alert as to what was happening and found the guilty parties. Makes me wary to find that many in one box after no problems for the last 5-6K.

Be alert!

JZ