Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decapped primers

Is there any way to adjust the decapped primer shoot or pin on a 550b so they actually fall in the primer bin?

Every time I decap a 9mm primer using the Dillon sizing/decap die the primers pop out all over the place instead of falling through the shoot to the bin. Decapping the large .45acp primers they fall as intended. I'm using a Lee sizing/decap die for the .45's though so maybe it's just the dies.

Anyone else have this problem or a solution?

You can try adjusting your decapping dies spindle slightly up or down, to make the die decap either earlier or later in the ram stroke. I've noticed that this sometimes help make the primers drop straighter, without flipping. I know it sounds strange, but it often works.

I don't try to catch em,... They stick in the bottom of my shoes and make kool sounds when I walk around the shop. B)

Those pesky small spent primers are a PIA. I have done the spent primer collection modification system on my 650 and have no problems with spent primers all over the floor. Oh wait I don't reload 9mm nor small primer cases. When I had my 550b 10+ years ago never had a problem with small spent primers....

Chief-7700

Edited by Chief7700

+100 on the spent-primer tube mod. I think it's in the 650 thread, but I know it works on 1050s and probably on 550's too

+1 on that thread http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...on+spent+primer very cool idea/solution, I've got to get my lazy a$$ to rig it up one day. I'm still just accepting it as a fact of life :goof:

Two items to check on the RL550 for mis-directed spent primers: First, if the aluminum cotter pin that the flipper pivots on is bent, then primers aren't always directed into the cup. Replace this cotter pin with a small safety pin. This gives you a hardened steel axle for the flipper to pivot on. Next, remove the toolhead and look down through the hole in the platform where spent primers go while lifting the handle up. If the roller bracket assembly is too far to the right, then the flipper opens over the rear of the spent primer cup instead of over the cup part. This allows spent primers to hit the rear lip and bounce in whatever direction they want. In this case, use a plastic mallet to gently drift the roller bracket slightly to the left, so the flipper opens over the center of the cup. :ph34r:

Dillon, as always we appreciate your input and your products rock. Bug guys ... come on ... if the cotter pin suck so bad that you guys recommend using a safety pin (which does help a lot btw) why not pass a word up to the R&D department and ship the bloody things with a safety pin or some Dillon branded version of the same. It seems to me that everyone knows the cotter pin is a bad soltution.

+ 1 on the primer tube modification. The modification is defenately worth the time it takes to do which is not that long at all. I did it a 1 1/2 years ago and have loaded about 7-10K rounds with no issues. I have not even dumped the container that they fall into yet. It is just an olld laundry detergant container.

• 2 weeks later...
+100 on the spent-primer tube mod. I think it's in the 650 thread, but I know it works on 1050s and probably on 550's too

Please share, if you will, how it works on a 550.

Thanks,

Monte