Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I need a new shotgun

Chris

OK, so I'm in the market for a new tactical division shotgun. I have an 1100 and 11-87 right now and they both have failed me in major matches (3-gun nats, SMM3G, etc..) too many times so I'm pretty much done with them. BTW they're both for sale.

Features that I want/need:

12GA

20" barrel

Screw chokes

8+1 capacity

Easy loading

Good sights (notch & post, no beads)

Should run on 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8oz loads

Must run all the time!

Parts should be readibly available

So with all of that in mind, here are the options I came up with.

Winchester SX2 MK2

Winchester SX3 Field

FN SLP MK1 (Winchester SX2 MK1)

Benelli M2 (Benny Hill Modded)

Browning Gold

Mossberg 590 (Hey its cheap and it works!)

Saiga (Not a chance)

So if you own one of the above, lets hear your opinions, suggestions, horror stories, whatever, and help me decide on how to spend my money.

OK, so I'm in the market for a new tactical division shotgun. I have an 1100 and 11-87 right now and they both have failed me in major matches (3-gun nats, SMM3G, etc..) too many times so I'm pretty much done with them. BTW they're both for sale.

12GA

20" barrel

Screw chokes

8+1 capacity

Easy loading

Must run all the time!

Winchester SX2 MK2 Suks

Winchester SX3 Field Suks

FN SLP MK1 (Winchester SX2 MK1) Suks

Benelli M2 (Benny Hill Modded) Excellent choice!!!

Browning Gold Suks

Mossberg 590 (Hey its cheap and it works!) Suks

Saiga (Not a chance) Suks Suks

So if you own one of the above, lets hear your opinions, suggestions, horror stories, whatever, and help me decide on how to spend my money.

I have an M2 with a 21" barrel. I bought it in September, I shoot it in 4 or 5 matches a month. I've cleaned it twice. The second time was last week - because I felt guilty. It's never choked. It runs and runs and runs .....

I am not an expert on tactical shotguns but I see a LOT of shotgun shells fired in clay target competition. The Browning Gold was popular in Sporting Clays but quickly built a reputation for breaking - specifically, the firing pins. I seldom see a Browning Gold in clay target competition anymore. I retied my Gold from competition years ago - it goes to the sporting clays range now only as a backup shotgun.

you can add the benelli m1 to the list, they can be found on the used market quite easily. shotguns like cars/trucks run when we maintain them properly, feed them good quality food, and lubricate them.......................sounds quite easy don't it.

trapr

I'm using an SX2 Mk2 and loving it. I don't think the ghost ring sights are very good for airial targets, but they work well for most of what we shoot in 3-gun. They are just too high off the bore. The gun has run great since day one. The only trouble I had was getting it sighted in for slugs. The sights need more adjustment as I'm pretty much maxed out on the front and rear sight adjustment with a 50yd zero. This has been true with all the slugs I've tried. Great gun though.

Saw this ad on an e-mail I got this morning from CDNN Sports, Inc.......

Benelli M1 Super 90 Shotgun

12 Gauge · 24" Barrel · 3" Chamber Timber Camo · 2-Chokes · Turkey Special · Semi-Auto #BEN11145....$789.99

Pretty good price for a brand-new M1, If you don't mind the camo......seems to work for Kurt though !!!!!

I shot Remingtons for many years but gave them up for the same reasons as most people, they always seem to let you down at the worst time, I lost a lot of points at the European Championships in Italy back in 2003, so I switched to a Browning Gold, great gun when it would work, but always had trouble feeding slug which cost me points in Greece 2006 & so after finally listening to Kurt I got the Benelli M2, man I should have listened sooner & saved myself a lot of money & pain, the M2 is just the best shotgun I have ever shot when it comes down to reliability, I got it back in February & have given it some heavy use since then & in all that time I have had only one malfunction, that came after some 200+ rounds fired at the British Open match last month, Kurt said it looked a little dry & to oil the rails a little more which I did & the gun continued to function perfectly for the rest of the match.

Get the M2 Field & life will be good !!!!!!!!!!!!

Get the 24" Barrel & you can come play this side of the pond with it :cheers:

N

The major differences in the M1 and M2, are stock design, having looked at a new M2 and taken it apart to show where to modify and oil, for one of our UK brothers. that is the only major difference I could see.......................Benny/Merlin any other input????? the M2, still needs to be modified as much as the M1, but M1's are easier on the wallet, on the used market, and work just as well.

My vote would be look for an M1, first!!!! spend a day looking on the gun auction sites or local shops, trap, skeet, and sport clay shooters don't care for them because they kick to hard???????????? :rolleyes: So you might try some local clubs in your area. then if you have no luck shell out the money for an M2.

trapr

Hi Trapr hope your well amigo, I only got the new M2 because finding a used M1 here was much harder because the used market is a lot smaller, much easier to buy a new one but not the cheapest option a agree, the M2 is just a face lift on the M1 platform, a few tweeks here & there with the shape of the reciever & add the comfortech stock, the trigger guard/group is now also synthetic & the forend is a slightly different shape, but nearly all parts will interchange between M1/M2 Benelli still offer the M1 brand new but its now only available in 20 Gauge, if you want 12 Gauge its gonna have to be an M2.

N

Chris,

If I was home sooner, I'd let you shoot my Benny-Hill-'Nelli M2. It's seriously sweet and don't know why I didn't get a Benelli sooner. That said, go with Trapr's advice and hunt for a M1. If you can't find one, just order the whole M2 through Benny.

Rich

Now merlin you said you like my saiga

12GA

20" barrel

Screw chokes

8+1 capacity

Easy loading

Must run all the time!

Winchester SX2 MK2 Suks

Browning Gold Suks

I like my SX2 MK1. I had a toolmaker cut off the cantaliever. I am in process of going to the dark side of the Saiga though.

Only problem ever was an aftermarket Briley bolt handle breaking. Cant blame Winchester for that.

Edited by tnek

A nice fn is very good but, I like my franchi. Shes been very good 2 me. Because I'm Heavy Metal Only, I have 2 use a pump. The choice really dosen't even matter, just make sure it takes 3'' inch mags, so u have plenty of room 2 shove rounds in. learn 2 load weak handed.

12GA

20" barrel

Screw chokes

8+1 capacity

Easy loading

Must run all the time!

Winchester SX2 MK2 Suks

Browning Gold Suks

there is no bias here :devil:

There is a guy named David Neth who is a pretty good 3 gunner who swears by the SX2. From what I understand, you are able to install the provided skeet piston and the gun will cycle the reduced recoil Fiocci loads very reliably. He also mentioned a sure cycle system.

I am going to pick mine up tonight!! I am so stoked!! :goof::goof::goof:

TG

So I got a new M2 from Benny Hill on order. Hopefully I should have it in a few weeks.

Chris, what option did you get for the rear sight? Mine got the Hi-Viz Comp front sight but no rear. Thanks.

Hmm.. and I've been shooting my Gold for all kinds of clays games, 3-gun, and hunting and have not once (knock on wood) broken a firing pin.

It is about.... 8 years old. Gold Hunter.. If you are going to race it, eventually something is going to break.. and I've seen more people with other named guns have more trouble than me at the matches I've been to..