Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic Hearing Protection

riden

Need to invest in a set of good electronic ear muffs. Of all the brand names out there, who comes out on top as the best for the price? Will appreciate leading me to where to get them also. :ph34r:

I don't know about the right ones, but I would stay away from the low-profile version of the Pro-Ears for pistol and rifle shooting. There's just not enough attenuation to use them w/o plugs.

Yep...3dB is double or half (depending on which way you go).

Generally good non-electronic protection is about 29 dB NRR. Most electronic are 19 - 21 dB NRR. This is why most people with electronics are also plugging...especially around the lads and lasses with the open blasters.

However, 30 dB of plug and 29 dB of muff is NOT 59 dB...it is just a wee bit under 33 dB. dB is on the log scale.

The advantage of course of the electronics is that you can amplify ambient sound to overcome the plugs during non-shooting periods.

My hearing sucks already so I am pretty careful about hearing protection. It is this reduced NRR of electronics, and the price, that keeps me from going that way.

I have heard that there are electronics with a NRR up in the high 20's but I haven't found them yet. There are also electronics with inputs for radios, cd-players, etc. I have even seen them with built-in AM/FM radios. Not sure that is suitable for a range though for the obvious safety reasons. Would be nice for the work shop though.

Although parts of "The Book" on tape piped into the headphones during practice could be fun. ;)

I've been using the big ProMAg from ProEars for 3 years, wich I believe is rated NRR 26 or 27. This is not the new "dimension" model.

Can't be more satisfied. It protects well and you don't get that bad sensation of noise cut that the competitors offer: it doesn't cut the loud noises, but compresses them. It 's tough to explain but the sensations are way better.

I'd buy another one for sure.

I'm a fan of the Dillon HP1's. I also have a set of ProMags, but don't use them as much just due to the bulk. I discovered that lots of noise was leaking in where my glasses temples went in-- more so on the ProMags than the HP1's, but that may vary based on your head shape and size. I double-plug indoors or if I'm RO-ing.

My main gripe with the e-muffs is their insistence on using the World's crappiest earseals. I got a ton of leakage around my glasses too and finally just said to hell with it. I sure wish David Clark made e-muffs. Soft, gel-filled ear seals, plus a nice cushy headband and a killer warranty. Then we'd be talkin'...

I have a pair of the Walker's Game Ear Power Muffs. They are smaller and lighter like the "Stalker" model Pro-Ears. In fact, they are so similar that they are at LEAST sharing some parts suppliers if not being made by the same people, yet the Walker's are rated at 24db reduction and the Pro-Ears are only rated at 21 or 22 I think. They have extra gain since they were developed for hunting, and I have found this handy since I like to double plug for extra protection. With a comfortable plug in and the gain cranked way up, I get good protection, good comfort, and can still hear conversation well. I've been pretty happy with the setup so far. I think I got them from Natchez Shooter's Supply. A little pricey but worth it to me.

Shooter Grrl

hate to be the one to tell you, but when you get to be my age, you plug and muff to save what hearing you have left. Need to wear muffs because of the Hymoid bone behind the ear which transmits acoustic sounds to the inner ear, so plugs are not the optimum answer. Need to do both.

Have to agree with Tightloop! Had to wear muffs or plugs every day on my job AND wear what was provided by the company {read: not the best}.

Wound up with Tinitis. If I only use plugs at a 2 hour Match the rining drives me nuts for 3 days to a week after. So it's large electronic muffs adjusted to cover the maxial bones outdoors & non-electronic over plugs indoors. {One of the VP Engineer's @ ProEars related a Ball State study that stated 25 or 27% of your hearing comes from/thru the maxial bones low & behind your ears}

Having poor hearing when you get older really SUCKS !

Need to wear muffs because of the Hymoid bone behind the ear which transmits acoustic sounds to the inner ear, so plugs are not the optimum answer. Need to do both.

Doesn't matter, the pressure ALL muffs place on my jawbone has me, literally, screaming in pain within about 30 mins. Just can not wear them... someday someone somewhere will realize that more than 3/4 of the population can't use their products and will make them with smaller "cuffs" :)

"3/4 of the population"???

Where do you get those numbers? Speaking for those among us who were blessed with "exceptional cranial capacity" (aka us Melon Heads) I think you're way off.

I do agree whole heartedly with Eric though that the cup seals on Pro-Ears could use some work. Nothing worse than yawning at the indoor range and breaking the seal right when someone cooks off a .44 in the next lane.

John

I think that they need to come up with a better, more realistic, way of measuring the efficiency of the muffs. I have 2 pair of muffs that have the same NRR, but one pair has liquid filled cup seals and the other has foam filled seals (like the Pro Ears). The Liquid seals do a much better job of sealing out the sound while wearing glasses and a ball cap. The foam cups are not flexible enough to seal completely and require the use of plugs.

Leo

• 8 months later...

I use the Dillon HP1 and plugs all the time.

The difference in my shooting since I started double plugging is measurable, especially when shooting rifle, or shooting indoors.

I still flinch when the guy next to me touches off his 450 Marlin revo with a JP brake.

Travis F.

I use Radian's Pro-Amp e-muffs and I like them and they're cheap (about $70).

23 db noise reduction.

http://www.radiansinc.com/proamp.asp

I did have to send mine back because the left side went out but they sent me a new one really quickly, and it kind chews through batteries (I went rechargable so it's not a big deal any more), but other than that, I like them a lot.

BTW, I also bought a pair of the Caldwell e-muffs from Midway for $50... and they're AWFUL. I sent them back. Don't bother.

I like the Radians a whole bunch, both for their noise reduction and for their gain when I need it. In events like the media seminars, where I've got anywhere from 5-10 instructors and 10-20 students on the line at any one time, the extra gain allows me to step back and still be able to moniter everything that's going on. Good *and* cheap...hard to beat!

Michael B