Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sunglass lens color

basman

Any suggestions on which color lenses would allow the best view of the dot? Orange? Rust?, Smoke?

With sunglasses to light I spend the day squinting if they are to dark the dot becomes dim and small. I currently use a 8 moa dot and do not want to go any larger

Edited by basman

Rudy red lenses work best for me, maybe not so much that the dot pops off the glass but the target brown and white steel really pops. Grey seems to hide the dot the most for me....

I am using the photochromatic Rudy red Impact-X lenses now, perfect amount of tint for any light conditions.

Clear M Frames from the Oakley Ballistic array for the few seconds of shooting unless the stage has you facing into the sun and then back to dark, Oakey XX's for the taping and walking around. Sharyn likes the Oakley rose tinted but they didn't do much for me. Best resolution on the dot was with the clear ones.

Donn

Edited by DHTampa

I've been using a pair of Bolle' Mongrel's with sandstone lens, the tint is dark enough for bright days but light enough for over cast days. Works good with yellow or green fiber optic inserts

Spankymac

Yeah, I reeeally like the ones I have... not sure what the lens 'color' is called (VR28 or VR50). I like them because they're versatile and transition easily between bright sun and overcast (late afternoon thunderstorms anyone?) But, I've also learned that lens color preference is highly individualized. I see a lot of shooters with the smoke color or orangie/yellowish (persimmon?) tint and I just can't stand either of those. I'm willing to bet that eye color has something to do with lens color preference too. (i.e. light colored eyes are more sensitive)

Oakley has a pretty cool page that you can "test" view the different lense colors in different environmental situations... I checked out the Positive Iridium Red and that looks pretty dang good... :D

http://oakley.com/pd/2012 (look under the big lens picture and click on the LENS TINTS tab)

Thanks for the info. I have a set of Rudy's that I can chage the lens on. it seem funny that the red lens would help you see the red dot the best. that Oakley lens tint tester is pretty cool.

I really like the Rudy Racing Red lenses-- I use them at every match-- desert to mountains. They're considerably lighter than typical sunglasses, which might be a problem depending on your eyes.

Yeah, I reeeally like the ones I have... not sure what the lens 'color' is called (VR28 or VR50).

Judging by the pics from the Nationals, you're shooting VR28s - the VR50s are a lot lighter. I shoot VR28s in sun, and currently Persimmon in darker overcast.

I like the amber/orangey color lenses for the same reason HSMITH likes the reds - they seem to help the targets stand out against the berm a little bit better, through better edge definition. I've tried shooting neutral colored lenses, and clear (I get headaches shooting clear lenses due to tension, etc). I keep coming back to VR28....

I'm not sure what thebest color is to use but i fing myself shooting in clear M Frames most of the time. I tried some glasses with purple lenses indoord and they were unreal. Those glasses made the targets just pop in defination so I guess it's worth trying different colors to see what works best. I just haven't played around much different len colors. Many swear by a green fiber optic vs the red as well. Guess I should make a trip over to Oakley and try different shades. Seems like many here are endorsing a red tint for better target defination.

The Oakley G26 Lens is the best lens I have ever used!!!!

It comes with some of the Ballistic Shooting Arrays. You can only get them for shooting and will probably never see them in stores with Oakley displays. You can buy it online. This lens is sort of a green mirrored. It is the best, check it out if you can. Not much color distortion like with the yellow and ambers.

Redwoods

• 1 year later...

(Resurrecting an old thread)

After much research, I've decided to go Rudy Project and would like last minute advice. My plan is for prescription (progressive) lenses in the Rydon frame (not inserts). I will put these on at the range, and take them off when I leave. The only thing left is color. After talking with Jim Shanahan, I think Action Brown is the popular color of the day, for shooting in the bright Florida sunshine, IF it's available. If not then I guess Racing Red. I'm not going to invest in 2 sets of prescription lenses until I see how these are going to work out.

Is there anything else I should know ? Open to any and all comments. This isn't going to be cheap - I want to do it right the first time.

JimInFL

PS - another vote for doing business with Jim. Even though we've determined that for the Rudys, it doesn't make sense for me to go through him in my case, he was absolutely willing to do whatever he could to advise/help me. Good guy !

I like the Oakley VR28 and lately have used the Oakley polorized amber which has been really nice.

How are the VR28 lenses with a red dot (if you've tried that)? I shoot mostly Open with a C-More or Limited with red fiber optic front sight. Most of the time I use a clear lens on my M Frames unless the sun is really harsh.

I like the Oakley VR28 and lately have used the Oakley polorized amber which has been really nice.

How are the VR28 lenses with a red dot (if you've tried that)? I shoot mostly Open with a C-More or Limited with red fiber optic front sight. Most of the time I use a clear lens on my M Frames unless the sun is really harsh.

Just fine.

If you come to the Mountain on Sunday, you can try my Rudy Red polarized. About the only thing they are not great in are the shoot houses at Blackwater when it is real cloudy. Rest of the time, they rule.

You can also try the other inserts that I have (I have never worn them so I cant even guess the color).