Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS Classic caliber

TreblePlink

At the SSC this year, we all filled out a questionaire which asked, among other things, what caliber we're shooting. At the chrono I noticed what seemed like a fair percentage of folks shooting .40. In past years the equipment used would be posted on the 1911 society website, but they seem to have all but abandoned the website with just past years and dead links on it now. So this info does not seem to be published?

So - does anybody know or have a feel for the 40 vs 45 choice in single stack? 40 is the caliber of choice in limited for several reasons including - cheap brass, higher mag capacity etc - but it's sometimes suggested that perceived recoil is more favorable in 40.

In SS, there is no advantage in mag capacity - so what do you think is the reasoning many are shooting it? Is it just standardization of caliber with their Limited gun OR is it because of some other advantage?

I think we beat this into a dead horse on another thread.

Since I shoot around 25,000 rounds a year of .40, I have a Delta Elite with a Schuemann .40 barrel in it and just shoot the same ammo I shoot in my SVs.

.40 brass is easier to find than .45. I also shoot Super with WSR primers that I can also use in the .40 but not the .45.

.45 bullets are expensive with the "Precision Bullets" 230s running the same or slightly more than my good deal on 180 .40 FMJs...

These days there are good single stack mags for the 40 but they are limited to 8 & 9 rounders as I haven't had any good luck with any of the 10 rounders yet.

This is where the .45 may have an advantage. In 45, the 45 single stack can shoot SS and L10 as the 10 round 45 mags are good stuff.

Bottom line for me is the components issue and not having to change the 1050 over to large primers for just one caliber.

Please don't let this turn into another holy war....Please don't let this turn into another holy war.....Please don't let this turn into another holy war... :(

For me it's cost and reloading convenience. Just change the dial on the Redding seater and I'm off to the races. No muss no fuss. I'm buying new "Production" guns in 40 as well for the same reason: to leverage my component buying and my investment in a 1050.

For me its just the reloading deal. I shoot .40 for everthing else so the .40 SS just fits in.-------------Larry

I sure glade you got the new .40!!! The one you were shooting at my SS match was pissing you off! By the way we are planning a nice big SS match in Jan.

Maybe all this is true,not saying its not about why 40s but whats happening to SS is what happened to limited 10,which i thought was to also bring people into the sport without competeing in a arms race that wasnt affordable perhaps. limited 10 went from making a SS 45 pistol competitive again with lots of people who already owned them to having a wide body built and then down loading it to 10 to have a bigger and faster hole to reload not to mention justifying it by also being able to use it for limited especially if its in 40,again good reason not to use a SS 45. Atleast thats my take because thats what i see and do also,now your SS 45 laying around while being on a budget is again not the best tool so if you want to be competitive in SS build a 40 .There is always good reasons it seems to never really have a real home for a 45 SS across the board.At least with limited and open there is no pretense if you want to play on a level playing field its going to cost you.IMO.

I think that this could be a good study for someone to see what the difference could be, I think that it would come down to the shooter. I know that with my single stack shooting 166 power factor 200grain wad cutters I get a quick snap using a 14 pound recoil spring, but compared to a 180 grain 40 bullet would there be a difference, maybe maybe not. I think you might see a difference between a 165 or 180 grain 40 bullet compared to a 230grain 45 because of the torque the heavier bullet might make.

Beside reloading there might be something there, the trick is getting the mag and the gun to run in a single stack format compared to a tried and true round like the 45 acp in the heavier round nose 230grain bullet. But with the guns today getting them to run shouldn't be a problem.

guy's I have been shooting a .40 for a couple of years. I shoot it just because I load .40 for my limited gun! My .45 has a little less recoil than my 40 but i don't care. just like Mick said! I don't want to change my 1050 over to LP.

Edited by MarkS_A18138

I threw the .40-.45 thing back and forth alot befre I bought my SS gun. I already load .40 for a production gun and a limited gun so .40 would have been a huge convenience. After all I read about getting a .40 to run reliably and which mags work and dont work, I ordered a .45. I would rather shoot a reliable gun than spend tons of time trying to get the right combination of mags going with the gun and the right feedramp, etc...

I throw in a Wilson mag and the thing just shoots and shoots and shoots.

I have to swap my 550 back and forth but its not too bad as long as I dont have to worry about a finicky gun.

Edited by TCK

Did some one say Holy War

Strike tha banners

Sharpen the swords and pikes

Bring out the horses

Have the wenches dress in their best garb and fix the chastity belts.

ON TO THE HOLY LAND

LET THE BLOODBATH BEGIN.

Did some one say Holy War

Strike tha banners

Sharpen the swords and pikes

Bring out the horses

Have the wenches dress in their best garb and fix the chastity belts.

ON TO THE HOLY LAND

LET THE BLOODBATH BEGIN.

I missed something...?!

Hello: I shoot the 40 as well since that is what I found best for myself. I also want to load one caliber only. I'm lazy or cheap. If I had 2 presses then I would shoot a 45. The 45 200 grain Wadcutters are hard to beat. Those big holes are easy to see as well. If you set your pistol up right the 40 and 45 feel almost the same. I know the 40 doesn't have the same cool factor as the 45 but who cares. Magazines for the 40 are no problem and most 45 mags will work with my Kimber 40. Now I just have to dust off the 45 and shoot it, oh need to buy bullets. Thanks, Eric

Bigger is better unless we are talking about my weight. Nothing worse than getting a 40 short & weak stuck inside a .45 while tumbling. It's like they are trying to mate. My Open gun is a Glock 21. Limited Para 14-45. L10-SS 1911 & different mags.