Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Local Match Payback

Sestock

OK, I see that payback is offered in some areas and not in others. Locally none of the clubs do payback or any type of award and the number of shooters is on the rise.

What is the practice in your area?

I tried to edit the questions, but I was unable, here is a follow up question.

If you club does not do a payback what is your match fee?

Edited by Sestock

In the Mid-Atlantic Section:

Non-USPSA non-club member shooters pay $25.

USPSA members pay $20.

Club members may get a discount, depending on their club's policies --- most charge their members $15 to shoot.

There are reduced fees for Juniors, and multiple family members shooting together.

The match Prize structure is: $30 to division winners if there were 5 shooters in the division. $20 to class winners within a Division, as long as there were three members within the class/division. If we get 8 or more in a class/division, first loser in the class gets paid $12.

Here in Hi you either shoot matches or dont shoot.. There is a nice public park but it is very restrictive, the indoor range is very expensive so 15-20 entry for a match is a bargain. I generally win enough for a combo meal on the way home occasionally I can supersize it.

Since none of the clubs I have visited in Montana have paybacks I was not able to answer your poll. However the average price is only $15 & they do not discriminate between USPSA, club & non-club members. One club gives a discount to people who show up for set-up.

Our local club doesn't have paybacks for the match.

Match fees are $10 for a club member ($100/year for membership) or $15 for non club member. The match is always four stages plus a classifier. I think because we shoot twice a month, we are able to hold entry fees down.

I believe outrageous match fees may discourage shooters from attending, but IMHO payback usually isn't the reason most folks shoot.

dj

Edited by dajarrel

DJ, you bring up a good point. WHat is and "Outrgeous Match Fee"?

Here in NJ we have 4 clubs shooting USPSA matches, as a pat of the Mid Atlantic Sectoin we all charge the same fees. As nik pointed out, we have a fee schedule

$25, non-uspsa

$40 join USPSA at the match, shoot the current match free

$20 USPSA member, but not local club

$15 discounted for club members

$5 junior shooting with parent/guardian

$35 Husband Wife

Considering that a movie here costs $10 without pop-corn we don't think these fees are high. We have some fairly hefty expenses to meet and even at these rates, when you figure in targets, USPSA fees, sticks, wear and tear on equipment, (new steel as needed, new fencing, new props etc.) we are not really making any money. At $10 per shooter, even with no payout, we would be a losing proposal to our host clubs.

Jim

I have never been to an IPSC match that had a pay back but have been to a few that had man on man plate shootoffs for payback as a side match.I personally don't go to Local IPSC matches for a purse..... when bowling pin shooting was popular I made money ......but thats a different story.

The local clubs I attend charge $25/gun.

What's a "payback"? :huh:

Payback is when the club gives points/cash back to the shooter for winning class/division etc. Out clubs in Eastern Colorado give back point cards that have a dollar value off the next match at that club.

For the record, we used to offer a Plaque. After you win enough "Class Winner Plaques" to fill the living room walls...

Seriously, no one after the first wanted the plaques. Chacks became our option. Essentially win in class is free match. Win in a Divisoin is a free match and a half. In one way I suppose we could simply offer up Club Script, good for one match etc. Not really a great difference.

Jim

We charge 20 for non members of the club and 15 for members. Re-shoots are 5.

At the indoor range I work at its $10.00 for USPSA and IDPA.

We used to to paybacks but there were about 3 of us that traded winning every week and people were getting pissed.So we just stopped doing paybacks and put more money into the club.

DJ, you bring up a good point. WHat is and "Outrgeous Match Fee"?.......

.......At $10 per shooter, even with no payout, we would be a losing proposal to our host clubs.

Jim

Jim,

We are fortunate to have a small piece of leased land that has a very reasonable rent. Unfortunately, it is 40 miles for the closest club member and 60+ for those more distant. That doesn't include those driving from Mississippi and Florida. We have 15 members and have anywhere from 10 to 20 shooters each match.

That being said, the expenses of our two matches each month are minimal (targets and pasters.) We basically repair our own props and are fortunate enough to have members in various businesses that help us when we are working on the range. We usually end up each year with a slight surplus in funds.

We hope to move to a closer facility in the near future. Our rent could double and our range fees would have to increase as well. Of course we would draw new members who just don't want to drive that distance....especially with gas being $3.00+ a gallon.

For us, outrageous would be charging $20 and $25 for members and non-members respectively at our present location. It's all based on the economics of your range.

FWIW

dj

Edited by dajarrel

• 4 weeks later...

I get a payback every match I shoot. Something more than money. I get to shoot. I get to have fun. And I get to do it with great people.

I have shot few matches that offered a choice of a plaque or rangebucks (discounts for next match fees) but that was only if you had 3 or more in the division and class. Shooting revolver I wasn't going to get anything because I wasn't the only one.

At one club I shoot at, depending on the number of shooters, they award primers by the 100.. Match winner usually gets 1000 and then it trickles down from there. This club charges $25 for non-members and $20 for members of the local club.

The main club I shoot at gives out a perpetual plaque and after every match depending on where you finish they give little plates to put on the plaque stating where you finished. This club charges $25 for non-members, $20 for members, If you build a stage or volunteer for signups/stats the match is free, if you help someone build a stage, you pay a discounted $10 match fee. This match generally has anywhere from 30-65 shooters depending on weather, time of year, and if there are any major matches going on elsewhere.

NCPS usually has a payback schedule for some of the special matches like 3-gun, rifle or shotgun matches. I think $10 of each entry goes into the pot, then its divided up among 1st-3rd place in each division.

To clarify waht Nik pasted early in this thread, this is the Mid-Atlantic Section proceedure

Match Fees are: $20 for a USPSA member, $25 for a non-USPSA member.

Clubs MAY offer a discount to members or any other deserving individual.

Non-USPSA members can join USPSA for $40 and shoot the match for free.

Awards are as follows:

Division Winner: $ 30.00 (5 in division)

Class Winner: $ 20.00 (3 shooters in class)

Second Place: $ 12.00 (8 shooters in class)

Third Place: $ 8.00 (15 shooters in class)

We occasionally do get enough shooters, usually C class in a divison to pay 3 deep!

We used to give out plaques as an option, but most people after winning a few plaques opt for the check, so we no longer offer the plaques.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

My home club doesn't have a payback, other than the chance to shoot a great local match with 7 stages. Only $20 for non-club members, $15 for club members, and $10 for R/O's. We also have a division championship per month, with plaques/ribbons going to class winners. So far, we have averaged 70-75 shooters per match, with 91 at the last one we had.

My local match has a payback. Entry fee is $20. RO's shoot for free.

Payout structure depends on the number of shooters in the division. Production (the most popular class) might pay three places and the winner might get up to $200, but usually less. Revolver winner, if there is one, usually only gets his entry fee back. There is no distinction between the classes.

What's left of the money, after the payback to the winners, paying the scorekeeper and the USPSA, is raffled off to those that stayed and helped break down stages and clean up. The club's overhead is low, as the range and equipment are provided by the military.

I would prefer that there wasn't a payback. It seems to me that the newer and weaker shooters are subsidizing the experienced shooters. (I'm one of those newer and weaker shooters, and I know I don't have a chance of placing in the money...yet B) )It would prefer to pay a $10 or $15 entry fee and not have a payback.

Nor would I want to change the structure to payout to winners by class, which I feel would lead to sandbagging. As it is now, there's no recognition of class winners, and the results are only posted by division as a whole and not by class. I don't know if this is by design or just the way the scoring system happens to be set up, but I like it.

If the big dogs like the action the chance of winning real money brings, they could voluntarily ante $10 into a pot that goes to highest shooter that paid the ante. Do any clubs do that?

I think the raffle is a good way to ensure that match organizers don't get stuck by themselves with range cleanup.

Edited by Leozinho