Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Local Match Payback

Sestock

Our club is $10 for everyone $1 to re-shoot in the same division. No paybacks or awards. :cheers:

I would have a hard time paying more than that for a local club match. At $20+ I would kinda expect not have to help set up, paste, tear down etc. But I think the everyone lends a hand nature is one of the sports best qualities.

Edited by Vagus

None of the clubs I shoot at have one but it doesn't matter. I do this because I love it. If I were to want anything I would like to see a pin, patch or some small token to recognize division winners.

Would I shoot were there no payouts? Yes

Do prizes such as Cash or things other than plaques or pins entice me? No, Not too likely I'll retire on my match winnings.

Do I want or need a plaque? NO, I have boxes of the darn things from club matches.

I do like the occasional Match Class or category winner from say an Area or Section etc.

Problem is severalfold. We here have a payout, If we removed it, would it hurt turnout? Maybe, maybe not, What effect would it have on the Match fees? We charge $20 for a shooter, Assumming 70 shooters, that is $1400 income, Expenses are $210 to USPSA, Current Prizes would be if we have 4 div winners and 10 class winners. $320. Leaves us $870.00, Now several things here, One, we discount the club members, so knock off about $100, leaves us with $770, now we used aboutn 100 tagets and 7 rolls of tape. Knock off another $100. The club now gets $670. If we were to eliminate the prizes, we save the $320 so that reduces the match fee by $4.50 Assume we lose 15 shooters, and we can start to get close to the support level that the club might not be happy with.

Understand, in NJ we have a very high cost of existing. (Can't really call it living). Just the taxes on the range are in the neighborhod of $20k and that doesn't include any range maintenance. We have to dress the road and th eberms evey year, we pay for lawn maintenance and so on. Then there is the inevitable replacement of movers, walls, doors and sticks.

Understand that the above is based upon reality, but does not represent any actual return or expense from any particular match. Prizes could be more and the number of shooters considerably lower, We do run matches with as few as 20 shooters and occasionally as high as 90. All must be taken into account.

The subject of a Plaques vs a Check vs a Pin or Patch.

Plaques cost nearly what we pay out in a check, in fact our Section requires that! I suppose a pin or a patch or Range bucks would work, but there is in fact no difference between free match or range bucks and a check. A patch or pin could be awarded, but they are so insignificant that I'd just as soon not get one, What do you do with a drawer full of pins and patches? A jacket can only hold so many.

I think that what we have here is Freedom of choice in action. Some Sectoins have a proceedure to follow, some apparently do not. In some places there is payour, some there is not, some goive range bucks, some give a free entry, some a pin, plaque or patch, others maybe nothing but a warm fuzzy feeling. All are OK by me so long as I know going in.

Jim