Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Oregon Star.

JaredB

Good target for a side match or county fair. Next I expect to see ducks on a conveyor belt that need to be knocked down with a stuffed bear going to the stage winner.

Obviously it's a bit too carnival for my taste and I don't think too much of white painted steel that needs to be shot backed by white no-shoots.

On the practical side, what happens when the falling plates destroy the paper targets?

Nice TEXAS Star........ with the Oregon addition perhaps...... ;)

YUP---It's a TEXAS star. Straight from Terry and Linda Ashton in San Angelo TEXAS.

A couple of REALLY nice people, and a pleasure to do business with. :D

The Oregon part isn't original either, there is a video of a similar 6 plate star that's

been around for a month or so. The Oregon part took about $70 in parts, the better

part of an afternoon, and some moderately creative cussin'. If anybody is serious about

modifying an existing TEXAS star, PM or Email me for a parts list etc.

Bill Marrs aka "Evil Bill"

TY46179

Dundee Practical Shooters, home of the "Crazy Croc match"

or the splater... The paper will be shredded, but it does look, um, interesting.

What isn't obvious from the video it that there is about 16 inches of space between the

plates and paper. (hopefully) plenty of room for the plates to fall without hitting paper.

For the same reason, splatter shouldn't be a problem. Might get some from edge hits.

Guess we will find out soon, It's set up and ready to go for today's match.

Edited by open17

I think this might qualify as "bubblegum" in the view of some.

This would make an nice standards course. Starting with hands on top of your head, pistol laying flat on table, unloaded, under a piece of Juicy Fruit gum. On the signal, unwrap the gum and put it in your mouth. Load the pistol and shoot the plates weak hand only. Perform a mandatory reload, spit the gum into the spitton located under the table, then engage the paper targets with two rounds each strong hand only. :lol:

Shot this today at a match. Yes Bill is a Sadist. Had some problems with splatter and with the plates hitting the targets. Bill's gonna make some changes that should alleviate both problems. Other than that it worked great. No problems at all. I didn't hear too much grumbling about it, surprisingly. Definitely makes you think.

Somewhere, I remember hearing something about being sure of your target and what is behind it. This looks like a great test of this skill in a dynamic environment. Admittedly, it happens on a predictable cycle, but it looks like a great intermediate step.

Mind you, I think that something like this should be used sparingly.

Respectfully,

Mark Kruger

This would make an nice standards course. Starting with hands on top of your head, pistol laying flat on table, unloaded, under a piece of Juicy Fruit gum. On the signal, unwrap the gum and put it in your mouth. Load the pistol and shoot the plates weak hand only. Perform a mandatory reload, spit the gum into the spitton located under the table, then engage the paper targets with two rounds each strong hand only. :lol:

That's a Cowboy Action stage!

-Chet

Yessss, my pretty ....... !

The Evil Oregon Star is indeed the child of Evil Bill Marrs and The Evil Star (which I've linked to ... somewhere.)

We shot Version 1.0 this weekend, and there were some problems with splatter and Plates striking the too-near cardboard targets. I talked to Bill during the match, or rather he talked to me, and he has some fixes already in mind for Version 2.0.

First is to move the cardboard-target back another foot, second is to remove the angle-iron splatter-shields (so-called by me) with flat plates made of mild steel. In fact, he'll plate over the entire double-rod support armto make bullets bounce back instead of splattering.

I'm sure there will be a Version 3.0, or at least a Version 2.1 in the future. This is a "Work In Progress", and we all know that development of a new system is bound to involve some problems which need to be worked out.

Do any of us besides me remember the problems with using the .38 Super in IPSC? The good news is, there is almost no probability of experiencing "Thirty-Eight Superface" during the development of this target.

The Texas Star is almost universally accepted as a legitimate target, at least in the lower levels (I and II) of competition. Rumor has it that it has been included in at least one Level III competitive venue.

I have no investment in the promotion of this target design, except that I have shot the stage presented April 28 at Dundee, Oregon, and I saw no insurmountable problems with it.

The folks who use the word "bubblegum" in relation to this target are wearing blinders. I understand that the phrase originated with Ron Avery, but I have no idea why it was used or why it applies to this target.

This target adds a new dimension to IPSC/USPSA competition, in that it requires the competitor to engage small, moving targets agains a confusing background. I challenge those who would demean it to provide a reason why it should be denigrated as "bubblegum", which I assume implies a meaningless, inapplicable challenge.

Since when has IPSC competitiion rejected a shooting challenge as being too difficult? As far as I can see (lacking a clarification of the "bubblegum" canard), the only reason to reject is is that the target array is too confusing.

Does anyone have a better reason to reject it? After all, the last time IPSC competition rejected a target was the "Hanging Ninja" issue, which applied correctly to the "Classic" target, but included not exception to the non-assymetric "Metric" target.

You think that was well considered?

Neither do I.

First is to move the cardboard-target back another foot, second is to remove the angle-iron splatter-shields (so-called by me) with flat plates made of mild steel. In fact, he'll plate over the entire double-rod support armto make bullets bounce back instead of splattering.

Flat mild steel might be a bad choice for bullet impact areas. It craters up fast and then the craters become really good uprange-splatter-reflectors. Bounce-back is not good.

We shot the counter rotating Double Texas Stars again this weekend at the Double Tap Ranch but with 5 plates instead of 4 for each star. After letting it kick my butt at the championship in March I got even with it and hosed it!!!

The first time I saw the counter rotating plates, I kept watching the plates wrong and missed abunch of shots.