Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic For Ar

ray1425

I'm new to 3 gun and I'm looking for opinions. I just bought a JP AR and now need to choose an optic. I would like to buy the best suited and do it right the first time. The 2 I'm considering are the Meopta K-Dot mounted on a Larue mount or an Acog with a dot mounted on top.

The Acog w/dot on top would put you into the Open class. If you have the other weapons to match in that class you would be good to go. Tactical Optic class only allows one optic on the rifle.

I would be shooting open

Here's mine before I deployed. This upper is now with me here in Afghanistan on my duty M-4, although we changed the rails to a rifle length setup (and no...I don't get any blow back through the charging handle either):

DSCN0045-2.jpg

DSCN0049-2.jpg

Rich

ETA: Sorry for the blurry pics and yes I fixed the JPoint mount after seeing it in these pics.

Edited by uscbigdawg

The 2 I'm considering are the Meopta K-Dot mounted on a Larue mount or an Acog with a dot mounted on top.

I'd get the Acog with a dot mounted on top.

Just personal preference. But I think the transition between dot and magnified optic (and vice versa) is faster if you lift up your head vs. turning the entire gun. If you are prone and for some reason need to transition between sights it's again easier to just lift up your head vs. twisting the entire gun.

Of course you unfortunately have a higher bore to sight height with the dot on top of the magnified optic.

For Open, ACOG with JPoint on handguard, or maybe Matt's mount. I tried the on-scope option and it's a loser with a Capital L at CQ distance due to the POI/POA offset that mount position brings to the table.

No secondary sight setup gets lower to the bore than the skinny JP handguard with the JPoint mounted on it. Matt's mount position puts the dot just a tad further from the bore center than a handguard mount does.

Yikes! I hope Matt doesn't have any gas blowback through the charging handle! That could be a bit hard on the eyes. Yeah, I know he is posing. Still...

-ld

I think Matt runs a PRI Gas Buster charging handle that vents the gas (in those instances), off to the left side of the receiver and down.

I have tried numerous scopes, dots etc. I just bought a Valdada 30mm 1.1-4 X 26 CR Tactical scope with the illuminated CQB reticle. It is designed for the 62 gr .223 military round. I am mounting it on my JP CTR-02. Will post info after I give it some range time.

I just bought the new Millett DMS 1x4 for my 20" AR. I like the EOTECH for my 16". Here is a picture of the Millett. Only fired it once and I have to get used to shooting a scope versus a red dot type optic.

post-1626-1177769660.jpg

post-1626-1177769697.jpg

I just bought a Valdada 30mm 1.1-4 X 26 CR Tactical scope with the illuminated CQB reticle. It is designed for the 62 gr .223 military round.

I thought the ladder was in mils. Do you have a link or something where it says it is calibrated for a 62 gr?

RS, the earlier version of the reticle had 15 lines calibrated to Mils.

The upgrade version used a "holdover" line calibrated to a .223 line and the aiming horseshoe has been revised slightly. Feedback was gathered ( we asked dozens of people at the RM3G) almost 2 years ago on the earlier reticle.

The importer took all the feedback and came up with the new design. It has been available on the 1.5 -8 for close to a year and is finally hitting the US in large numbers the last few months.

It was discussed in details with images here.

I still haven't mounted my new scope. I was going to mount it on a riser with low rings, but I can't come up with a combination of rings / riser that is the right height. I guess I will just use high rings and forget the riser unless somebody has a better suggestion.