Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock Glock Sights

Tattoo

Ok,

Tell me I'm retarded, but I don't know if its because I have used them more or

what but I seem to like the stock sights? I like finding that big white dot up front.

I shot a local match last week after doing the .25 cent trigger job and shot really

well. I really dig the Tru-grip on my gun too. Thanks for your guys' help.

I want to upgrade my sights, and a buddy has been cool enough to let me

try his Dawson Adj, Heinie CGR race cut's, and plain Heinies, but I keep picking

up my gun and just zeroing in on that big white dot. Am I nuts or just not giving

the other sights enough time? Also I think I like the wider front sight. I think

with the narrow front I take longer to make it look perfectly centered and it

happens faster with the fat front sight....... Maybe a FO front would help.

Anyway, Am I alone here, help me out Glock GM's.

T

Ok,

what but I seem to like the stock sights? I like finding that big white dot up front.

I shot a local match last week after doing the .25 cent trigger job and shot really

try his Dawson Adj, Heinie CGR race cut's, and plain Heinies, but I keep picking

up my gun and just zeroing in on that big white dot. Am I nuts or just not giving

the other sights enough time? Also I think I like the wider front sight. I think

T

The only thing wrong with the stock sights is that they are fragile and prone to coming off during a match.

Just find something in steel that approximates the stock sight.

Sights, grips, trigger pull, etc. are individual things. What you like will probably different from somebody else.

Over the years I have spent a ton on things that were theoretically an advantage in my mind that turned out to be, at best, indifferent.

As a point of reference, I'm thinking going back to black on black on all my sights (replacing my fiber optics). To my mind there is nothing better for long or tight shots.

But that is just me. Do what you like.

And we all are a little mentally challenged or we wouldn't be here.

I couldn't find the Holiday Inn

Edited by underlug

Try shooting some plates at 25y and that fat glock sight will cover up a lot of the target.

But, a fatter front sight is easier to see and pick up...as is a front sight with a white dot.

If I were shooting up close all the time, I'd got with a fatter sight. I use the Glock for all the different games...so I split the different. My front sight is 0.115 ...almost too big. :)

I currently use Heinie sights. (But, like the Warren/Sevigny.)

I drilled a small divot in the front sight and put some white fingernail polish into that divot (with a toothpick). Instant white dot.

...I seem to like the stock sights...[and] I want to upgrade...

If you mean upgrading from PLASTIC, then you should know that GLOCK makes and sells FIXED SIGHTS made of STEEL in all of the standard heights/configurations.

(AFIK, GLOCK does not offer their adjustable sight in any material other than plastic.)

Note that Lone Wolf Distributors shows the OEM STEEL FRONT SIGHT on their website. In addition, a quick look at their hardcopy catalog reveals you would only need call to order/obtain both (i.e., GLOCK OEM STEEL FRONT & REAR SIGHTS).

Note as well that the GLOCK OEM STEEL SIGHTS are inexpensive, and Lone Wolf's service is excellent.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

BALLARD

Try shooting some plates at 25y and that fat glock sight will cover up a lot of the target.

But, a fatter front sight is easier to see and pick up...as is a front sight with a white dot.

If I were shooting up close all the time, I'd got with a fatter sight. I use the Glock for all the different games...so I split the different. My front sight is 0.115 ...almost too big. :)

I drilled a small divot in the front sight and put some white fingernail polish into that divot (with a toothpick). Instant white dot.

Wait a minute, like always you may be on to something here Flex. Do the Heinie sights

or Sevigny sights come with a .115 front? Or how about the Sevigny carry? And I am

really diggin the white paint thing.

I know it sounds weird but the thin front sight just seems too thin to me.

T

Edited by Tattoo

I thinned my Heinie slant Pros down to .115

The Sevigny sights can come that narrow from the start. (a big plus)

I like the serrations on the Warren/Sevigny sights a bit better too.

I just measured my sights and holy cow those Glock front sights are .165 wide!!

But, does'nt that mean the rear is also that wide or widder(?) too. Does that help

with sight picture? Why the heck did they put the goalpost white on the rear?

Anyway, I have to atleast replace these cheap plastic sights with steel ones.

I am going to try a pair of Heinies my buddy gave me for free first, they measured

out at .125 at the front. Still kinda wide. Can you recommend a sight pusher from someone or the best way to change sights. I think I may be experimenting and may save money just buying the tools to do it myself.

Thanks,

T

...I seem to like the stock sights...

I want to upgrade my sights...

OK - if you like the stock sights and it works well for you, what reason do you have or why do you want to upgrade? Upgrade for the sake of upgrading?

...I seem to like the stock sights...

I want to upgrade my sights...

OK - if you like the stock sights and it works well for you, what reason do you have or why do you want to upgrade? Upgrade for the sake of upgrading?

I have to atleast upgrade them because they are plastic POS's

But I do like the fatter front sight picture. I am going to try a fatter

"carry" front for now. I have a "free" set of Heinies to tryout.

T

I started shooting IDPA about 4yrs ago, with a second generation 17. It had the old style adj rear that hung off the back of the slide. Everybody said I had to get rid of those sights. A year latter when I made SSP Master, I had guys asking what kind of sights I had.

I have told myself I wouln't change the sights until I felt limited by them. I'm currently knocking on production master in USPSA with the same sights on a 34.

I haven't felt Like they were holding me back yet, so I'm going to keep on with them until they do.

I did open up the rear up to .150

SGT

I've always preferred a narrower sight, but you make good points. I do like the Glock rear with that big white U. Combining that with a good fiber optic front, like a Dawson, makes a killer combination. That bright front dot just seems to find it's own way into the big U. That said, most of my comp guns have a narrow FO front with a plain black rear. All this talk makes me want to re-visit the Glock sights, though. I have a couple guns with FO fronts and Glock steel rear, which works very well.

I've always preferred a narrower sight, but you make good points. I do like the Glock rear with that big white U. Combining that with a good fiber optic front, like a Dawson, makes a killer combination. That bright front dot just seems to find it's own way into the big U. That said, most of my comp guns have a narrow FO front with a plain black rear. All this talk makes me want to re-visit the Glock sights, though. I have a couple guns with FO fronts and Glock steel rear, which works very well.

I really think after experimenting with my buddies sights ( I'm gunna try a match w/ Heinie's and straight 8 night sites tomorrow ) I am goint to try putting

an Ameriglo .125 front w/ white dot night sight and try it out. Its only like $29.

Gotta try them all out I guess.

T

Edited by Tattoo

I don't normally shoot a Glock in competition, but I carry them and have to qualify with them. What you describe is exactly what I've found to be true. At 25yds the front sight (all of mine have the Trijicon sights) is too big to get really precise with it...it covers way too much of the center of the target we use. At closer ranges it's very easy to pick up and center. I really like the Warren/Sevigny sights too and that's what I'd use if i was going to use mine personal G22 for matches frequently.

Take a look at the Ameriglo sights. They offer fat and thin fronts along with a very good rear. The rear has the same profile as the Glock fixed sight. They offer the rear with two different notch widths.

They cost about half as much as the others.

Take a look at the Ameriglo sights. They offer fat and thin fronts along with a very good rear. The rear has the same profile as the Glock fixed sight. They offer the rear with two different notch widths.

They cost about half as much as the others.

Joe,

thanks for the advise man. I reeeally wanted to get the Ameriglo operator nights sights.

I shot my buddies Heinie straight 8's in a match really well but I only want the front

tritium dot to look like the glock stock sights. I was just going to get the Ameriglo front

but I think I am going with the Warren/Sevigny w/ one front night sight.

But, I will check out the Ameriglo website first, becasue I need two sets and $$ is

always a concern.

• 3 weeks later...

If it works for you, why change? I switched over to the Heinie slant pro's, but my put white paint on the front sight. I like dark rear sights, and light fronts. But I'm in the minority.

For a long time i just used the plastic OEM adjustable sights BUT with the front sight narrowed down to "just" wider than the dot, and the rear opened up to "just" narrower than the outline. A razor-scraper knife and one file & 10 minutes work is all that takes.

Then i tried different colors of Sharpie and settled on green ink over the front dot, blue ink over the rear outline. Comes off easily with alcohol & a rag if you don't like it.

Never quite made M with that but honestly liked it better than the Dawson with red FO in front and black in the rear. The plastic glock sites sat much lower; also, if a shot was a bad shot, you didn't see the front sight at all. With the Dawson there were many shots past 10 yards that let you see the FO somewhere in the notch but the shot was a miss.

If i never had shot so much with the fat plastic sights, that might not have been a problem. YMMV...

I have carried stock for 14 years and never an issue with the plastic sights and that is daily carry. In my last few Glock 19's that I bought the stock sights were dead on. but I wanted to try the trijicon's on 2 sets for night self defense as such. But I am not impressed with trying to get them to be sisghted in as good as the stock sights. so go figure. Night sights whether trijicons or mepros or whatever are harder to pick up and that may take some getting used to - but I still wish I would have left them stock!

I carried a glock 23 for 11 years daily in all work conditions 5 AM until 11 PM and the stock sights were just as good as the day i bought the gun and that goes for all of my other many Glocks.

If there was just some way to reverse time and have things as they were I would have been much happier; until the time I needed the night sights. So really a catch 22!

I feel your pain!

Ok,

T

Ah, I see you've discovered the wonders of a compromise. The big dot on the front sight makes the pistol faster to shoot a large targets of at close range. A narrow sight is more accurate, but you generally lose some speed. For a while, I thought my G26 just wasn't very accurate, then I figured out that it was the Trijicons, and that I was comparing apples and oranges.

The indoor range that I shoot at has some weird lighting. The firing line is darkish, with lights that shine on the targets. Night sights look like black sights, you can't see the white outline or the glowing dots. The white on stock Glock sights is still very visible,

I'm pretty sure that the metal Glock front sight needs to be staked on, and you'll have to be careful about mixing and matching front and rear sights, since not all fronts and rears are the same height.

Edited by Suburban Commando

I just changed from a ghost ring set up to the Sevigny tatical set on my department issued Glock. The sight picture is great. I think the front site is just right. You can pick it up fast and still have space around it to see the target. They are worth the money.

I have a Dawson set on my personal Glock. They also work well but are huge and hang up in some holsters.