Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2007 Ft Benning 3 Gun Match

All of the AMU folks did a fantastic job. I have to thank Linda especially for getting me in off the waiting list or otherwise I couldn't have won trooper :cheers:. Every year since the AMU started this match I have attended. I almost made the mistake of not attending this year, but boy would I have missed out on some awesome stages and a great match staff!! It seems like my family has turned the meeting in Ft. Benning into a family get together since my brother, father and uncle have been coming to watch. I spent 5yrs of my childhood at Ft. Benning so it is nice to go back. My brother shot some video of me shooting a couple of the stages and I finally got around to posting it.

thanks again to everyone who made this match happen especially my sponsors Cavalry Arms :blink::) My little Green Cav-15 kicked butt. I can't wait to see the footage that Russell has from the Striker.

Alan

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just wanted to add my thanks to the AMU and all the hard working folks that made the Ft Benning match happen!!!

This match gets better every year! cant wait to see what next year brings :surprise:

Thanks LindaC for the kind words about the people working stage 1 & 6. I worked stage 6 and can say its not fun for the people working the stage to have people waiting a long time to shoot, but it happens. I was very pleased to finish about an hour behind schedule Sun. :cheers: My hats off to Max, Max Sr. (I can see where Max Jr. gets his work ethics) Dan, Mark, Matt you guys got it done!!!

I will take one memory with me to my grave and thats the sight of Hopalong's eyes in his not so good fittin brain bucket when they popped smoke and started the fake shooting and singin in the Striker ride on stage1...PRICELESS.

Linda can you say the word tracking now without a tic ???

Alan

Linda can you say the word tracking now without a tic ???

Alan

:lol:

The trick was to say the word 'tracking' without tears. Now I just say the words "new program" with a big smile.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

2007 Ft Benning 3 Gun Match Statistician

That KellyN is one cold ass RO........ None of the ...if you are really possibily maybe truely surely definitely completely sure you are finished ??

Just the plain old fashioned 'if you are finished UNLOAD show clear' !!!! thats just COLD ! :angry2::rolleyes:

I just wanted to say thanks again to ALL of the people responsible for putting together and running such a great match. I don't do many 3 gun matches but this is one match that is a must do regardless of the firearm(s) involved. As for the sponsors, what else can you say but thanks for your support. I just received from JP Rifles the items that I won and they are awesome!! I'll definitely support these guys with my next purchase. I hope to see you next year.

That KellyN is one cold ass RO........ None of the ...if you are really possibily maybe truely surely definitely completely sure you are finished ??

Just the plain old fashioned 'if you are finished UNLOAD show clear' !!!! thats just COLD ! :angry2::rolleyes:

Just there to help.

This match has become the premier 3 gun event in the country if not the world but I'm not so sure about letting foreign nationals on base much less actually compete or RO such as fine event.

I'm just glad that 1) the Hooter's waitresses did not serve beer to those with no IDs and 2) Ft. Benning security demanded passports from suspicious looking Englishmen. America is safe.

Hi all, the dust has finally started to settle so I thought I would take a few minutes and hack out a few words and thanks. First of all I would like to thank the USAMU commander and SGM, LTC Muggeo and SGM Fuller. Without their support it would not be possible. SSG Sokolowski, SFC Hocking, and SFC Raphael, without their effort we could not have gotten the off-site ranges or any of the cool vehicles. The entire Army Marksmanship Unit, through it all you all made it happen. Lind Chico, Jeff Cramblit, and Sandra O, of course our biggest issue has been SCORES, not any more! And Jeff had a number of tough calls to make, and I stand by them all. To our truly world class RO staff, I can't believe you came back! You all did an excellent job. To our sponsors, words are not enough; I hope the banners and TV help, you all made this event GREAT!

Most of all I want to thank my Team, SSG Michel, SSG Johnson, SGT Tomasie, SPC Dimaculangan, SPC Eusebio, and SPC Horner. These guys are amazing! This entire match was built on there backs. All the designs and labor fell to our team and man did they step up. We have about 3 weeks to put this together and we could use a dozen more. The really hard part is the rest of our work does not stop, so for 7 guys this would not be doable, but for 7 Soldiers too easy! They are excellent examples of America’s finest and Army Strong.

This year we attempted to provide a good mix of stages, all fun and all challenging. We made an effort to not put any speed shoots, all field courses, well except for the boat. We wanted to challenge you in a number of ways not just shooting, but we did not want the physical aspect to determine the winner. I think we did a good job. For the most part all our stages matched a fast mover to a fast shooter. Meaning if you had wheels and ran it, a fast shooter could negate your speed advantage. There is still the Horner factor, but we don’t let him shoot.

“Nothing is a problem, until it is a problem”

We have literally used the same barrels from the 1st match to place abandoned guns on. No one has ever been DQ for a gun falling off till this year, and no one had an issue till this year. That is not a crack on ANYONE, just a wake-up call. I now firmly believe that a match and its staff need 5 years to get a 95% product. You learn a lot every year, and every year you make changes to fix mistakes made the previous year. We will change a number of things should we host this event again. And we will make a different mistake, which is how the game goes. If you are considering hosting a 3-gun match, stop thinking and put a date on the calendar, it is going to hurt and you will NEVER be ready, so just do it and learn as you go.

Getting DQed is an emotional event. The actions leading to it are logical and rational, but if it has happened to you then you know it becomes emotional. Because of this opinions get thrown in and eventually rumors start. I can say that all violations that deserved a DQ got a DQ and will in the future. The time to argue a rule is unfair is before the first shot. And not knowing the rules is not a defense. We will continue to tweak our rules and enforce them as published.

Sorry for the ramblings but I just wanted to say a few things as this match recovery winds down. Oh I am disappointed that NO ONE mentioned the knives!

Thanks for your support, hope to see you all again sometime.

VR,

AARON L. HAMPTON

SFC, USA

NCOIC AS/ CBT Team

Edited by BigHamp

Oh man Hamp......you are so right. Those knives were the cats ass and we all forgot to mention it. Whoever had the idea for the Kershaw knives went above and beyond and I for one appreciated it as it was a super cool momento from the best 3 gun match of the year. Please bring them back next year............there is gonna be next year,right?

Many of you have asked where to direct written compliments to the AMU (and to thank those in the Chain of Command who supported this match):

LTC FRANK MUGGEO

7031 BILLS ST BLDG 243

FT BENNING GA 31905

LTC Muggeo is the commander of the AMU. He was at the match and talked to many of the shooters. He also spoke at the opening meeting and at the awards ceremony. The soldiers under his command spent a lot of time and resources to put on this match. His support of the match was vital to this year's match and his continued support is needed for future matches.

You may also address official messages to SFC AARON HAMPTON or SSG ROBBY JOHNSON to the same address. Please realize that many of the AMU team have vacation time scheduled over the holidays or will be visiting family away from Ft Benning. They may not see your message until early January.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

2007 Ft Benning 3 Gun Statistician

To Big Hamp and ALL of the AMU, ALL of the staff and supporters, Linda and her squad of hard workers, This match was so much fun, I wish I had it to do all over. Now that I think about it, I believe that I had a range malf on almost every stage, and I demand a reshoot. I know the stuff has allready been torn down, so the first weekend of Dec '08 should give you plenty of time to set it all back up and be ready to GO! To be serious, the match was a total blast. You guys are the best. Love the knife, can't stop playing with it (boys and their toys). As an ex military guy, this is my "official request chit" that the sniper hide stage remain for future shoots. Keep up the good work and have a great Christmas.

Hamp,

No one may have mentioned the knives here but folks did ask me if there were nay extra as they wanted to buy them and since the matchhas been over another match organizer asked about where and how to get them for their event, so I think it was a big hit and others wanting to do the same speaks volumes. The AMU personnel did an incredible job and it will not be forgotten for a long time. But we are looking for word on next year, now that some of the pain has worn off. My application is already in for 3g matches in MI and VA, and soon to be NC, let the 08 fun begin

jc

thanks Hamp you guys did great

• 1 month later...