Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Trojan Vs. Les Baer Premier Ii

Hi Guys,

I recently found this forum, my first post here.

Looking for a new 1911 for L10 and Single stack and possibly IDPA.

So it will be a competition only gun.

Option #1

STI Trojan from Brazos Custom

$922 for the gun itself

ambi safety $45 plus installation $60

high performance package $125

I know it will be a good gun after getting some tweaking from Brazos.

I like the idea that I can have them set the trigger like 2 lbs.

STIppling any good? I would prefer checkering...

Cast frame?

Undercut trigger guard and high ride grip safety...

Total cost would be $1152 and that is what makes me wonder if it is worth the price?(Les Baer Premier II $1400)

Option #2 to pay $250 more for a Les Baer. ($1400)

Forged -checkered frame.

Probably the best "stock" trigger pull out there but at 4 lbs it's a bit heavy for my taste...

Probably more accurate then then the Trojan

Tighter - better fit then the Trojan.

Better finish.

The lack of undercut trigger guard and high ride grip safety...can I live without them?

Whichever I buy will get a recoil master, extended mag release, and a magwell from the shoe box. B)

edited:

I would add a steel mains spring housing for the Trojan for the added weight (what is a plus for me as long as we talk about shooting .45's) what would also add to the price...

Edited by tommyasIam

The Premier II wins hands down. Accurate, reliable, solid as a rock, quality parts throughout. If you ever have the slightest problem with anything, you can call LBC. Brenda will answer the phone. She'll usually put Les on himself. The answer will invariably be "send it to me and we'll fix it". He really stands behind his guns. Customer service jobs are done immediately. Overnight it on Monday and he'll fix what ever and ship it back before the weekend if you ask. I can't say enough good things about Les Baer Custom. I have two Premier IIs, both with the 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards guarantee. They both have over 17,000 rounds through them and both run flawlessly. :wub:

edited to add: Leave the recoil master in the shoe box. Don't screw with the gun's timing. All you need is a Wolff 16.5 pound variable power recoil spring - a fresh one every 2000-3000 rounds.

Edited by Steve J

Your choices were good until I read RecoilMaster!!

Why? Get a one piece guide rod and spring it the way you want.

And....

Welcome to the Forum

I used to have a 14 lbs recoil spring and a shock buff on a one piece guide rod.

Now I have a recoil master. Feels better for me, I am happy with it.

(170 PF ammo)

PII hands down. It isn't even a contest. The PII is far and away more gun than a Trojan.

The recoil master will break on you, just so you know. Ditch it and get used to it now, or later.

I have three Les Baer pistols. A 4 1/4" Stinger, a 5" Custom Carry, and a 6" Premier II. They are all that everyone said they were. You will not go wrong with them. I have close to 15 or 16 1911 pistols and they(LB) are at the top of the list.

Good Luck, Buddy

I've had my Trojan for 5 years and really like it. It runs as well as my Glocks and more accurate. With that said it would be the Baer and it's not even close.

Rik

• 1 month later...

Heh -- I'm in the opposite boat. I *have* a Les Baer PII, and have been looking for a second single-stack for competition. I will say the PII is a terrific gun for the price point, but I have had a couple issues.

First, I have a hard time agreeing the trigger is the best "stock" trigger out there. I've had Kimbers with better triggers out of the box. My PII pulls about 4lbs, and the break isn't crisp. It's not a bad trigger, however.

Second, the finish -- at least the blued finish -- is no big deal one way or the other. Just blued steel.

Third, the gun is heavy. With a steel S&A magwell, it's not IDPA legal, or at least mine isn't. Don't shoot that much IDPA, so it's no big deal, and it's never been weighed, anyway.

Fourth, the gun is so tight it's amazing, but I've also found it a bit unforgiving with ammo OAL, and certain bullet makes/types. I suspect the chamber is tighter than my case gauge, and sometimes I have to help the slide into battery. Not often, but sometimes. In fairness, I haven't bothered sending it back, for LB to check.

All that said, the gun is very accurate, yes, and feels great in the hand, and it's clearly got this "hand-fitted" vibe. I don't think you'll be sorry, for sure.

I have the STI Trojan w/Dawson FO front sight, and I changed the MSH to the STI metal and magwell.

My trigger is about 3 1/2lbs from the factory, just about perfect.

It is the forged frame and I like the STIppling and it is similar to the Baer chainlink.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'got 3 PII's..1has right @ 74k on it,with no major problems..only a broken extractor @25k...makes weight fine 4 iDPA..also just got a UM and just put 600 thru it with only 2 ftf's...still super tight".I've found it takes around 4k to break them in a little