Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Precision

lgbmike

Thats right. Just spoke to Dawson and he is not accepting orders for any new custom guns until 2008. Back logged, manpower, and a big gov contract tying him up.

Now where do I go?

Michael

The Dealer's Forum has a whole list of some pretty darn good gunsmiths, all of which not only support our sport, but this forum, and you can find thread after thread heaping praise on their work throughout the rest of the forum.

"Rusty Kidd in Atlanta - 770-447-6021. Tell him Dave Re sent you

An example of his work: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30303

Rusty is the inventor of the AFTEC ACE extractor, BTW..."

+1

Dave Re????????????

Holy S--t, I haven't even heard your name in YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wondered where you had disappeared to!!!! (Some of us "old crew" types are still shooting at South River Gun Club!!!).

How've ya been dude??? Still shooting that Viper that Rusty built for Ya????

Actually, I think that you and Spanky are the ones who convinced me to have Rusty build my Para (which has absolutely nothing from Para left on it except the frame -- and Rusty modified that!!!). I've been shooting that gun in matches at least several times a month since he built it in 1996, and it has NEVER jammed or hiccupped in any way, shape, or form!!!!! (Damn, I hope I didn't just jinx myself!!!!) Absolutely the most reliable weapon I have ever encountered. The gun is still more accurate than I am capable of shooting, and I still get questioned about it (who built it) at every match 'cause it looks as good as it shoots!!!

Rusty is a little slow to finish his guns, but that is because he is an extreme perfectionist. The finished product is WELL worth the wait and the cost. I would put his work up against ANY other gunsmith in the nation, with absolutely no hesitation. He does true top-of-the-line work!!!

Hi, Bobby!

Holy S--t, I haven't even heard your name in YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wondered where you had disappeared to!!!! (Some of us "old crew" types are still shooting at South River Gun Club!!!).

How've ya been dude??? Still shooting that Viper that Rusty built for Ya????

Things are well - actually I took 6 years off... got back to it about a year and a half ago. Shooting a Pit Viper, now - picked it up used (if you can call 1800 rounds used). Sold the 6" gun a long time ago... This one kicks as much ass as the old one, though... ;)

Actually, I think that you and Spanky are the ones who convinced me to have Rusty build my Para (which has absolutely nothing from Para left on it except the frame -- and Rusty modified that!!!).

I'm glad I didn't steer you wrong!! :D

Rusty is a little slow to finish his guns, but that is because he is an extreme perfectionist.

Which (good) gunsmith doesn't take a while? I don't know what Derek's schedule looks like - but most everyone is backed up 8+ months, now... Last I spoke to Rusty, he quoted me 3-ish months on a new Open gun, so figure really more like 4-ish months...

The finished product is WELL worth the wait and the cost. I would put his work up against ANY other gunsmith in the nation, with absolutely no hesitation. He does true top-of-the-line work!!!

He's built world champion pistols, and he knows a 1911 inside and out, and then some... and his guns are sharp looking, without being overly fancy. They have the look of a serious tool, without quite becoming a safe queen... ;) Just like I like it ;)

The only custom guns I see around here from big names are from Benny Hill, Brazos and Bedell. All of them run well, the owners rave about them, and all are really really good guns. Brazos guns are just damn sexy, I really like the cosmetics of his guns and the feel in the hand. The Bedell guns are all Open guns, and they are really slick too. The Benny guns are all Limited guns, and they are each unique in appearance but equal in great performance.

These three guys are part of a short list of guys I talked to when I ordered my last full custom gun, Bob and Dan were 7+ months out and Benny was 3 months out. I ended up going with Benny due to several things, notably comfort factor and his reputation for reliability but a partial factor was delivery time too. The old Para I was shooting when I ordered it was toast, just plain worn out on several fronts. Benny gave me all the time I needed on the phone and I got to know him a little, at least as much as the phone will allow, his delivery was less than half of the others, and his reputation as far as I can tell is flawless. The gun came out simply outstanding, shoots like a dream and if I feed it good brass it is as reliable as a gun gets. Since I have gotten my gun I have sent a couple more guys to Benny and he has treated them all just as well and delivered damn close to on time, none of the month or two over stuff from Benny! Pick on Benny for a moment? My gun has some sharp edges on it. The gun is a little hard on kydex holsters in high volume dry fire situations, and I should have paid him to stipple the grip. Telling him he had to knock off ANY of the sharp edges that might bite a holster and not asking him to stipple the grip would have left me without anything at all to complain about, and I am not sure about how that would feel LOL. Going back over the last 10+ custom guns I have had Benny is a real blessing. The 'ol boy does damn fine work on time, and treats me like I bought enough to feed him for the rest of the year when that isn't even remotely close to the truth. Bob Cogan is the only other man still in the business that treated me as well as Benny has, but it has been several years since Bob and I have done business. Bob Cogan has done very nice work for me in the past, but due to things on my end I have not used his services in about 10 years.

Rusty Kidd in Atlanta - 770-447-6021. Tell him Dave Re sent you ;)

An example of his work: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30303

Rusty is the inventor of the AFTEC ACE extractor, BTW...

Dave!!!. :o

Don't go telling the rest of the world about Rusty Kidd.

If word gets out how good he is, it won't be long until he has a 2 year back log.

Rusty has been my gunsmith since day 1.

He has never built a gun for me from scratch but has modified every gun I own.

He always seems to find time for any job I give him, big or small and he turns it around quickly.

Rusty is my little secret ..... Let's just keep this between us. ;)

Tony

Edited by tlshores

Don't go telling the rest of the world about Rusty Kidd.

If word gets out how good he is, it won't be long until he has a 2 year back log.

He's definitely the "sleeper" of the gunsmiths, isn't he?? :lol:

Quality(guns that just flat run), service, turn around time and delivery time and price? I just know one answer, Benny Hill,361-241-1091.-------Larry

I can't add any more positive comments than have already been made just another vote for Benny.