Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 1911?

Is there a general concensus on which manufacturer makes the best single-stack 1911? I'm interested in fit, finish, and out of the box accuracy. Any to stay away from? I'm looking to buy a new one. My old one is an early 90's Norinco in .45 ACP that I stripped and rebuilt from the ground up- slide and frame are original...all else replaced.

Thanks.

B)

I doubt you'll get a general consensus. You'll get responses for Kimber, Springfield, STI, Taurus, S&W, etc..... Any of the major manufacturers can provide the gun you want or at least a great platform to build on.

If it matters to you, there are certain companies that REALLY step up to support our sport with generous match sponsorship, prizes, etc. If I were you, I would buy (in order):

-Dan Wesson (CZ-USA owned - generous sponsor)

-Springfield (TGO's employer)

-S&W (Julie Goloski's employer)

-S_I (USPSA Gold sponsor - and a gun for every price range)

-ParaOrd (Todd Jarret's sponsor)

-Rock River Arms

and though they don't sell guns complete, Caspian supports us big time.

I am sure I miseed a few (feel free to jump in with positive sponsorship reports).

There are several other companies - big ones - I won't name and while they might make an OK gun, they have told the shooting sports: "Tough luck!" - well, you can tell them what YOU think - with your next purchase.

If you wanted the best and most accurate 1911 pistol it would be the SVI Infinity gun. They are incredibly accurate, made from 100% billet parts, fit together tight and smooth and look like works of art. I have one and can barley bring myself to shoot it is so beautiful. It is the best I have ever held or shot, and I have shot just about all of them. It will, however, cost you a few extra bucks and that would be the only reason not to buy one.

Edited by L9X25

I guess if I had to assign a price range, $1000 or under (if there is still such a thing). I'd go a bit higher if that's what it took to get something of vastly superior quality. I've been thinking maybe Para or Springfield Armory. I guess I'm really trolling for guns to stay away from because they're more prone to problems than others. Any come to mind?

I have had very good luck with my Kimber. The pistol has been very reliable, and shoots way better then I can. I have the Eclipse target II. I have seen a a norinco 1911 that was very finicky, but other then that, I believe most full size models are pretty good. This is going to end up being a loaded question though, if you ask 5 shooters, you are likely to get 5 different answers. Finally if money is no object a sti, or a les baer, are definetly near the top of the pecking order.

As everyone has said, there are good guns from a variety of manufacturers. I have a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm that I dearly love. My newest gun is a Kimber Gold Match II Stainless .40. The gun is wonderful. I wish I could get my money back for the Kimber .40 mags I bought to go with it.

My Colt Gold Cup, purchased new in box last year had more problems, right out of the box AND after Colt got the gun back for repairs, of any weapon I've ever owned. The slide had to be tightened, the front sight was defective and had to be replaced by Colt. It was not properly installed and had to be replaced again, this time by my gunsmith. The rear sight was also defective. I had my gunsmith replace it too. I may buy more Colts, but I'll never buy another new one.

One of the nicest 1911 guns I've ever had in my hands was a S&W .45 from their performance center. Nice, but pricey.

Lee

Many shooters have had excellent expereince with the S&W 1911. I purchased a lightly used SPringfield 1911 trophy Match and was surprised by the accuracy level. Unfortunately to have to swap out the sear, kammer and disconnector to get a good trigger pull as the factory trigger is ca 6 lbs.

There are also the Les Baer products which have excellent accuracy.

I guess if I had to assign a price range, $1000 or under (if there is still such a thing). I'd go a bit higher if that's what it took to get something of vastly superior quality. I've been thinking maybe Para or Springfield Armory. I guess I'm really trolling for guns to stay away from because they're more prone to problems than others. Any come to mind?

Para & Springfield are good guns but they have a lot of MIM parts in them that need replacing to get a smooth trigger pull and the new Para's seem to have an extractor problem. For a single stack gun a cheaper model Kimber or Springfield and a good gunsmith or a tuned STI for limited.

If I had a grand to burn in a skinny gun I'd look at (in order of preference):

1. STI (Trojan)

2. Caspian (frame, slide & barrel fit)

3. Springfield

4. S&W

If I had more than $1K (maybe WAY more)

1. STI (Sentinel)

2. Nighthawk

3. Les Baer

4. Springfield

5. Wilson (maybe)

If I was looking to get an economy model

1. STI Spartan

2. Armscor (RIA) Tactical

3. Taurus

$0.02

All the factory STI's I have owned are fantastic handguns. Accurate, reliable, and well made. No complaints.

As far as semi custom 1911's, I have had Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson, and Nighthawk. Out of the four mentioned, the Nighthawk 1911 is a step above the others. Everything is exceptional!

Paul

Just curious as to why you are getting away from the Norinco...? With different fire control parts and (perhaps) a new barrel....Really very decent/underrated guns... :)

Actually, I like the Norinco alot. I carried it for years, as well as used it in USPSA competition - that is, until I picked up my Para. And like I mentioned, I've replaced everything on it but the frame and slide. I'm just looking to buy a new toy, and I'd like to get the opinions of those who know what's the best for the money, AND - if there's anything I should stay away from. Several years ago, I was seeing posts on various sites that folks were having boatloads of jammimg problems with certain makes, and I'd like to avoid those if I could.

B)

If budget is tight, you really can't go wrong w/ a Spartan, at this point. If budget allows for $1K or so, you have a lot of options - my recommendation would be to stay away from as many MIM parts as possible, unless you're planning on having the gun reworked (and then I go back to the Spartan, anyway...). If money is no object, well... ;) You have lots of very nice options at that point...

If I already had a shooter I would really consider getting a smith to build you "The Dream Gun." I also like what Nemo said about a fitted barrel, slide and frame from Caspian. If you have some gunsmithing skills you might could finish it out yourself....

I'm also looking for a new 1911. (My Kimber Team Match II .45 will be replaced soon)

Just like to add some points to consider:

No point to have a gun smith pimp out your gun (my Kimber) with the added cost for the parts-labor you will be in the price range of a high quality 1911 - after selling the old gun.

Why not just start with a good gun what is already a good quality and has a much better resale value....

No point to buy a cheaper 1911 (Trojan- low level Kimber Springfield etc) then have your gun smith pimp it out. As above mentioned, the price of the project will set you in the price range of a decent gun (Les Baer- STI etc.) At the end of the day it's just still a ....

I like to point your attention toward Les Baer's Premier II ($1400 from Sporting Arms- no waiting readily available) or STI's Sentinel ($1430 from Brazos but 3-4 months of wait time. On the flip side you can have them to work on it $125 trigger job etc. and have one hell of a

Those would cost you about the same price as a pimped out - updated low end 1911.

I would also consider the radius of the grip safety.

For example the Premier II will sit higher in your hands due to the different cut of the frame-grip safety, then the Sentinel.

Edited by TheHun

If you are on a budget and want something pretty reliable, get yourself a Mil-Spec Springfied, add the basics, AMBIES, Grip Safety, Trigger Job and Bomars, Guide Rod

That would put you near a grand, and you would have a little control of how it went together.

Joe

New Colts