Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have been trying to get a friend of mine to shoot USPSA/IPSC matches. He has always been reluctant because he is more interested in the defensive aspects of shooting. He has taken several Gun Sight Defensive pistol classes. So today, I tried once again to persuade him to come out and try action pistol shooting and this is what he tells me....It goes something like this...."I can't shoot in public because I'm specially trained. I would have to get permission to come out and shoot." At this point I start laughing uncontrollably. :lol: He looks at me all serious and says that he truly can't shoot in public because he might expose some super secret gun training that he has received. Again I bust a gut laughing. He says, "You're mocking me with your laughter." I told him I would check out his story and if indeed there was merit to it I would eat the "humble pie". Then I explained to him that there is nothing super secret about pointing a gun at a brown paper target and pulling the trigger. OK so does his story hold water??? For those of you who have taken Gun Sight Courses...is there some super secret gun handling that can't be displayed in public?

BTW....I'm only mocking the fact my friend can't shoot in public.....I'm not mocking Gun Sight. I was out in Arizona last year and visited Gun Sight! It is awesome. AND IMO Col Jeff Cooper was to guns what John Wayne was to westerns. I have the greatest admiration and respect for the extraordinary man that he was. The only thing keeping me from a Gun Sight Course is $$$$$$ ;)

Edited by Calamity Jane

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Complete and total BS...I work in the SpecOps Community and work every day on Fort Bragg and know not only hundreds of graduates of all of the most noteworthy shooting schools, Front Sight, Thunder Ranch, Midsouth, Universal Shooting Academy, Blackwater, to name just a few, but a few of the instructors and I'm glad I'm wearing my boots because his stuff is DEEP!

Even if there was some super secret technique he was sworn to protect under threat of some secret black government agency swooping in under cover of darkness and cutting his head off and storing it in a safe, TGO, Brian Enos, Todd Jarett, Dave Savigny, Julie Goloski, (please excuse my spelling errors if any) et al, all manage to win matches at the national and world level without this super secret technique, so why couldnt he come out and leave his Secret Squirrel stuff in the black briefcase at the dead drop near his rendevous point with his asset?

Edited by CDRODA396

Er... I'm a Front Sight grad and they didn't "swear me to secrecy" or anything like that. There aren't really any "secrets" anyway. There are a bunch of FS grads in my local USPSA club. We shoot, we practice, and we get better. Tell him to come out and shoot!

ETA

The only "secrets" they told me: Sight alignment, sight picture, and trigger control. There. Now I've let the cat out of the bag.

I've spent the last 9 months trying to UNLEARN some of the useless stuff that I learned at FS and in the Marines (e.g. Weaver and modified Weaver stances, helpful when using a flashlight but lame for this game). I got absolutely OWNED when I started shooting USPSA (unexpected at the time but now perfectly logical), and I still get beat plenty... but I've gotten a little better and have enjoyed USPSA lots... most fun I've had with my clothes on. Maybe your friend might experience something similar if he comes out to play.

Edited by big_kahuna

...."I can't shoot in public because I'm specially trained. I would have to get permission to come out and shoot."

TRANSLATION

"I'm worried about getting my butt kicked by a woman at the match..."

BWAHAHAHAHA :lol:

I'd suggest you give up on him Jane. His :ph34r: secret :ph34r: is out. :lol::lol::lol:

I've not actually been to Gunsite in AZ, but I have trained with three Gunsite instructors, one was a provost instructor and I shoot with him monthly. Not even a secret handshake. Then, maybe they just don't trust me with it.... :unsure:

...."I can't shoot in public because I'm specially trained. I would have to get permission to come out and shoot."

TRANSLATION

"I'm worried about getting my butt kicked by a woman at the match..."

Tell him to watch Jane and Dave. Jane does it to him all the time. HaHa! Just kidding Dave.

I'm a Federal LEO and I have been to a little but of training and I can tell you without a doubt he's full of it.

Edited by jasmap

I have also taken classes with a Gunsite adjunct instructor. I like the classes they gave a great basic skill set that I have refined and turned into something completely different. He chides me about not taking anymore classes and being a competition shooter. I chide him right back by saying I shoot IDPA, I get all the training I need!! :ph34r:

Edited by theknightoflight

This is why I don't fight in the UFC. I am a trained ninja and I'm not allowed to fight in public.

:D:lol::D:lol:

Oh, God, I think that ones going to kill me... :D

Seriously, though, Jane... try not to laugh at him, and keep coaxing... :D Maybe he'll give it a whirl some day...

He is! I seen it!! I even took a picture! I was lucky to get away!

You didn't! He's right behind you! Look o... Oh well... too late...

:D

Complete and total BS...I work in the SpecOps Community and work every day on Fort Bragg and know not only hundreds of graduates of all of the most noteworthy shooting schools, Front Sight, Thunder Ranch, Midsouth, Universal Shooting Academy, Blackwater, to name just a few, but a few of the instructors and I'm glad I'm wearing my boots because his stuff is DEEP!

Even if there was some super secret technique he was sworn to protect under threat of some secret black government agency swooping in under cover of darkness and cutting his head off and storing it in a safe, TGO, Brian Enos, Todd Jarett, Dave Savigny, Julie Goloski, (please excuse my spelling errors if any) et al, all manage to win matches at the national and world level without this super secret technique, so why couldnt he come out and leave his Secret Squirrel stuff in the black briefcase at the dead drop near his rendevous point with his asset?

Not to mention, those same successful USPSA shooters make more than a few coins as instructors at Super Secret Squirrel facilities throughout our armed forces.

The guy is so full of she-ite his eyes must be brown. :D:lol::lol::P:lol::D:lol::D:P

I have a friend who's trained at gunsite several times....He attends Idpa matches every month and Uspc and steel matches when he can.

I got to tell you the fist time I read this thread I thought it was a joke. :D

Kind of reminds me of a guy I went to highschool with who used to tell me what a great fighter he was because of his JROTC training.... I asked him to show me a few moves.... he told me if he did he would be arested :huh::lol::lol::lol:

Smells kind of funny in here dosen't it? :lol::lol::lol:

Jane,

I am practicing with a gentleman that has taken the Gunsite Training so I know that they can shoot in public! ;)

But he took it at the satelite class in Indiana so maybe they don't teach the super secret stuff outside of AZ!

Hope to see you, David and Jackson at South Central Sunday