Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting *all* Your Brass Back

milanuk

Thanks to all who replied (even the smart alecks B) ). I'm going to try the CED weighted netting that smokshwn linked to. I figure it'll get the majority of the stuff from when I'm shooting stationary... still working on basic marksmanship; it'll be a bit before I feel comfortable running around and actually expect to hit something at the same time ;) For the stuff 'on the move' I figure it falls where it falls... kind of like coyote hunting w/ an AR! As a side benefit, though, I figure I might try the mat out w/ my Service Rifle... might save me a heck of a lot of time chasing down cases during brass call!

Thanks again,

Monte

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mark all my rounds in the 50 count box with a straight edge tool like a primer tube and a paint marker form Michael's M J Design. Not only does it tell me It's my brass or load but I don't stripe it until it's been checked for primer depth and/or chamber checked.

Um, yeah and? :) Some of those moon clips are 'spensive, I think some of the specialty ones are like $7 or $8 each, if it were a true lost brass/clip match, it might be like shooting a 1911 mag and leaving it for the RO's.

Of course we only get to fire 6 and reload. A 32 round long course requires 5 reloads, and more if you do a lot of missing..

:)

Vince

I'd be a little worried about the paint marker idea.

I did that once and the paint started building up on the breech face until the gun would barely cycle. I was shocked that it made it through the match. Switched back to using a pair of sharpies (making a cross) and all was well.

Since I don't pick up my brass anymore at matches, and our practice bays are pretty much free of brass, I only mark them now to let myself know I've given them a final primer check.

I've noticed that as the years go by, and I shoot more and more rounds, all the anal things I do to rifle brass and I used to do to pistol brass have gone by the wayside. When I'm shaking the media out I can hear split cases, and I check each round as I put them in boxes, plus they get a final primer seating check when marking.

Like others have said...this brass (pistol) is different from your match rifle brass that you have spent countless hours preparing. So if you lose a few it is not really a big deal.

When I pickup brass off of the ground or floor I use one of the pistol grip sticks that has the "pincher cups" on the end. These are commonly used to pick up trash. They work well for brass. I took a little kidding when I started using it, but many of the guys that made jokes are using them now.

Buddy

9x brass is a dime a dozen (literally) and not worth worrying about.

Even semi-prepped brass for my 3gun AR's is lost brass once it exits the chamber at a match. At practice, I barely bother, at a match I just walk away ;-)

I usta' get 70-80% back when I was a newbie and cared. Now I get 5-10% back, don't care and am a much happier person ;-)

I barely got 60% of my heavily prepped rifle brass back at last years USPSA Manually Operated Rifle Nationals in Albany, OR.

"I'd be a little worried about the paint marker idea."

"I did that once and the paint started building up on the breech face until the gun would barely cycle. I was shocked that it made it through the match. Switched back to using a pair of sharpies (making a cross) and all was well."

One SV has 114,000 round through it and the other 51,000 rounds, ALL rounds had paint marker on the brass. Not a problem yet but I do clean the breechface every thousand rounds or so.

My color is Kelly Green. My buddy uses Ford Blue and another uses a purple. I save the pink for guys I load for...

I can't think of any local USPSA shooters who don't mark their brass.

I'm happy if I can just retrieve all my magazines.

I only pick up brass at the indoor range where I have a reasonable chance of finding most of it.

I wouldn't even try at an outdoor match.

It's too hard to find even if you mark it.

Sorting through all the rock, grass and miscellaneous debris lying around the stages takes forever.

After you shoot you should be following the scoring.

After someone else shoots you should be helping your squad reset the stage.

There's really very little time to scavenge for brass.

I leave it where it lays and consider it part of the cost of shooting in this sport.

Tony

Best way to get maximum amount of your brass back ........ make friends with some of the regular shooters in your area, and offer to hunt for their brass ... if they will help hunt for yours. Of course it helps if you both shoot the same caliber, so your not mentally looking for two different calibers.

I have a friend who shoots with me, and we both pick up all the 38 super we see. Sometimes I get some of his, and sometimes he gets some of mine. Then later we sort out whos is whos, and walk away happy. :)

2 sets of eyes are better than one, especially if you are shooting a match, and can't stop and look for 10 minutes at every stage.

I'm happy if I can just retrieve all my magazines.

I only pick up brass at the indoor range where I have a reasonable chance of finding most of it.

I wouldn't even try at an outdoor match.

It's too hard to find even if you mark it.

Sorting through all the rock, grass and miscellaneous debris lying around the stages takes forever.

After you shoot you should be following the scoring.

After someone else shoots you should be helping your squad reset the stage.

There's really very little time to scavenge for brass.

I leave it where it lays and consider it part of the cost of shooting in this sport.

Tony

+1 100%

Mick

I can't recall anyone ever using a paint pen before, so I was passing on what happened to me. Perhaps I went too heavy on the paint ;)

If you don't care, I don't care :mellow:

At most of the matches I attend, if you pick up 9mm brass, you'll leave with more than you brought.

I mark my 45 brass with a stripe around the case. I don't use a paint marker, but a permanent chisle tip marker. I'm looking for something that will survive through tumbling...

Hello,

I'm getting ready to start loading for my Glocks in 9mm, and one of the things that been bugging me is brass collection... how do you do it in a timely and efficient manner?

The coolest and best thing I've seen yet for brass collection was a roller contraption that you just roll over the brass like a lawn mower. It has what appears to be a giant plastic "brush" with "tenticles" on the ends that just picks up the brass as small as 9mm and as it rolls it uses a "rake" to wipe the brass into a catch can.

It's large and expensive and if your range could swing one it makes picking up brass REAL easy & faster. The one I used had to make several trips as it does miss some. Tarps etc. are fine as long as you are standing in one place- not applicable for moving and shooting. I don't recall who makes it but it's large and expensive. I'm trying to have our club purchase one but they are quite pricey.

MW

Um, best way to retain all your brass is to... shoot one of the flavors of moon-clipped revolvers.

Cool. Can I get that in a 9mm?

-Chet

Yes ... but you may have to look long and hard to find the right gun combo. Search for "9mm" in Revolver forum and you will find a few wheel gun shooters that have done it or are in process of doing it.

Mick

I can't recall anyone ever using a paint pen before, so I was passing on what happened to me. Perhaps I went too heavy on the paint ;)

If you don't care, I don't care :mellow:

If you lay it on too heavy it will let you know the hard way.

There are some neat markers out there now. I may have to switch to that Dykem marker.

Black Marks-a-Lot and Nolan's Brass Striper works well.

As a general rule, I use two colors to denote my rounds.

Two Black is Full Power, 2 Red is Production .40 or Steel 38 super. Steel loads for .40 may wind up being either two blue or a red and black.

Very easy to see since most brass lands on its side. I don't nned to handle any more than my own, or if we scour the range, I can easily sort out mine from the pile.

Jim

Edited by Jim Norman

Hello: Merlin calls me the "Brass Rat". I just started marking my brass so a Glock one does not stop my STI. I put one black stripe on the side of the case. That way I know they are mine. After the match is over I go pick up the rest. I also will pick up other peoples brass and hand it over to them and they do the same. I shoot a 40 and most of the guys here shoot 45 and 38 super so I get most of my brass back which is nice. Thanks Eric