Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Gun Poll

galt11

I am looking for the opinions of those who shoot or own limited guns. Are they built on Long wide frames, like a STI Edge, or on a standard frame. Please let me know why you made the choice you did. Thanks

Adam

I built my limited gun on a Para frame so there was no choice of dustcover. That said, the steel frame with an STI unique profile slide and a Schueman bull barrel provides a nice balance. It is a bit heavier than a plastic frame gun but it shoots nice.

Later,

Chuck

I shoot an Edge with some slide lightening by Gary at Gans Guns. I shot everything anyone would let me shoot for about four months, then ordered the one that felt the best in my hand, that I shot the best, and looked good, because looks are important...as Fernando Lamas (SNL) would say, "Its better to look good than feel good, and you look Marvelous!"

I much prefer a light gun. It transistions a little quicker and a good bit more accurately for me, the recoil doesn't matter to me. I have a much harder time transitioning to the exact spot I want with a full dustcover gun.

I'm shooting a long wide STI. Honestly, my Para was my favorite limited gun but I switched to STI when I built a new gun because they support USPSA in such a huge way.

If you're concerned about weight, it's really a toss up unless you're going for the heaviest gun you can get. I think the L/W frame adds 1.5 to 2 oz. That's the same you would get from changing to a tungsten guiderod or bull barrel. I don't think felt recoil changes much between L/W and short frames.

Balance is a different story. There are a lot of things you can change that affect the balance of the gun, and you can always cut off a long dustcover if you want. Extending one is a little more involved.

Try as many different guns as you can and buy/build one based on what you like the best!

Long wide with tungsten guide rod. I like a lightened slide but want the weight too....so sighttracker for me. My SV has the butler cut...and it takes just a bit off the front because the SV's are so heavy. If you want a sighttracker the man above builds a nice one.

What gun do you shoot now? If it is light stay light, if it is heavy stay heavy. A really light gun will magnify any bad habits you have...a heavy one will quiet them to some degree.

Edited by chmerr

Afraid I'm no help as I shoot a glock long slide but that doesn't answer your question. I suggest like the guys above you shoot as many different guns as you can get your hands on. That is probably the best bet! :P Good luck, MLM