Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Power Factor?

ATMester

Hi,

I just chronoed my loads again.

Clays, WLPP, Win. case, 1.222 oal, crimp is .470, Precision 230 gr RNF

Ten rounds average on the 650 gives me 38.3 grains <---- that's what I aim for.

Kimber 5"

Average: 744.5

Hi: 766

Lo: 723.3

Es: 42.7

Sd: 11.5

Ad: 9.0

That comes down to 171.2 PF

Is it too high should I dropp the charge?

On the flip side I'm not worried that I have to shoot minor....

You're right where you should be.

You need to have a little margin for error.

Ammo that chronos 167 PF at home has a way of going 163 on the match chrono.

Due to:

False chrono readings because of varying light conditions and other issues.

Lot to lot variations in powder, primers, bullets.

Loading dies that slip out of adjustment.

Temperature

Etc, Etc, Etc.

There are very few shooters that can feel a difference between a 166 and a 170 load in the field.

Go with it.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

My target for load development is 170-171. As Tony said, that gives a comfortable chrono safety-margin without getting silly about it (no need for 185 just to make sure you make Major).

You hit it first try (damnit! :D ).

I too target 170 but will happily accept 169-171. I'm working up a Major .38 Super load now. The first batch was 163 while the next batch was 173. Just for the heck of it, I mixed rounds from both batches in the same mag and fired them off. I couldn't tell any difference in recoil or muzzle flip.

Edited by XD Niner

Ater a close scrape at the chrono I won't dip below 173 on my chrono. I will also shoot well over 173 if it doesn't hurt. I shot a 181 PF load for a while with a Limited gun that didn't hurt me one tiny bit at the end of the day, and my current favoriite Open load is 175ish and probably will end up around 180 PF for the best performance I can expect in my gun. If it takes 185 I will go there. The timer and points are my guide once I meet the number, not someone elses interpretation of what is good for me. Call me hard headed, that isn't a problem. I will do everything in my power to not go minor and to find the best load for me in my gun.

I would not change a thing. I went to an Area match in Bend with a 200gr load that had a low velocity of 850 at home and chroned before the match at 162 PF. Trying to find 300 rounds in one place in Bend was not fun and the Blazers I found chroned at 192.

170 - 172 is my target after chronoing at 165.0 with what should have been a 168 PF load at the 2005 SC Sectional. I made major, but that was a nail biter for sure until the last round was fired.

It's good not to have to worry about equipment or ammo by being as prepared as possible.