Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Need An Ss For The Nationals, Recommendations?

Matt Griffin

I'm in need of a singlestack for the nationals, but I'm mostly a Glock shooter these days. I know how difficult a "what gun is best?" question can be, so I'm mostly looking for a range of possibilities. Requirements:

1. I'm a lefty, so it has to have an ambi safety. Extended mag release would be nice, too.

2. I'm pretty sure I won't be converting to 1911s, so I'm not looking for a best-in-field pistol, just something that runs 99% of the time, and isn't too crippling in terms of trigger and handling.

3. If there's a .40 SS that is division legal and affordable, that would save me some reloading headaches.

4. Some advice on mags would be appreciated, as well.

5. I have a very high grip, and most grip safeties don't work for me. I can always just add grip tape to fix this, but the highest/fattest grip safety would be best.

Sorry to ask the eternal question, but I thought I'd try.

H.

PM sent.

I would try on some of the Kimbers and Springers, and STI Trojan / Spartan if you're on a budget.

I don't know of a turn-key .40 out there I would trust for the nationals. I have mine set up, and you're right it do save a reloading change over.

As to your specific questions;

Just have an ambi fit to which ever you choose, the Brown, and SV seem to go best with the high grip you're using.

As to mags, I use the Wilson 47D's in mine, and .40 loaded out to 1.200" oal. Works great and no keeping special mags for one gun.

Edited by dirtypool40

I don't believe (for the money) there is a better equiped and tuned SS than the Springfield Trophy Match.

Mine came with a crisp 4 lb. trigger and better accuracy than I need. Good rear adjustable sights, a C & S mag. well, a match barrel, and ambi safety.

The only thing I've added is a $29 Dawson FO front sight.

That's a lot of gun for the price... I paid $700 a year ago for mine.... and have seen them NIB for as low as $650.

I just bought a Kimber Classic Stainless II in .40 a couple of weeks ago got the SS Nationals. It has worked great. I've used about 6 different brands of ammo (short, long, factory, handload) and it has worked great. I had 2 problems the first week I shot it. A bad magazine and there was a little too much metal on the mag release on the inside (button side). I got rid of the mag and took a little metal off the mag release and it has been flawless since then. I'd recommend the Tripp Cobra mags for it.

Local I can find some SA's used pretty often, maybe you can do that to get through the match and resell it like you said.

I also went to SA to pic out a single stack 40 like Rob shot but they don't make one. They did about 2 years ago I believe. Would like to see 2 or 3 versions come out again. Would be great for all the USPSA shooters.

I talked to the SA guys last year at the SS Nationals about the .40 SS. They had no plans for production runs any more, but told me I could order on thru the custom shop. So if you're set on an SA, that's one way to go.

I love my .45's don't get me wrong......but .40 is a hard caliber to beat. The recoil may be like what you have now (assuming you don't shoot production with your glock). The second thing for me was how few problems there seem to be with making a Ramped barrel feed. And one more thing..super tight guns are great, but can be a problem...in the 1911's the bushing and lug lockup is the key. I have an Ed Brown I can take apart with my hands that shoots just as good as my Les Baer that I need a hammer to dismantle!

I love my .45's don't get me wrong......but .40 is a hard caliber to beat. The recoil may be like what you have now (assuming you don't shoot production with your glock). The second thing for me was how few problems there seem to be with making a Ramped barrel feed. And one more thing..super tight guns are great, but can be a problem...in the 1911's the bushing and lug lockup is the key. I have an Ed Brown I can take apart with my hands that shoots just as good as my Les Baer that I need a hammer to dismantle!

When we do the stage design for the Single Stack Nationals we do our best to negate the advantage that a .40 would have over a .45; at least for rounds per aray and reloads. Robbie has frequently won using the .45.

The .40 was popular at the Single Stack Classic in the past for three reasons. One was Robbie shot it. Two, Robbie was shot it. Three, it could hold 9 rounds of major power factor before all major power factory loads were limited to 8 rounds in the magazine. Robbie shot a .40 last year, but has said it had more to do with recoil of factory 45 loads and not having time to develope a .45 load before the match. I wouldn't be surprised if Robbie shot a 45 this year. Having said that .40 is cheaper to reload for, many of us are already set up for it and for some like myself there seem to be less torque when shooting a .40 over a .45.

Keep your eyes open and watch the Classifieds here, and on the USPSA web site. I recently bought a NIB, unfired Kimber TLE/ RL II ($900 + retail) for $650 !!!!! I grabbed that one up in a hurry.....

FWIW- If you have to chose between Kimber and Springfield for USPSA shooting, keep in mind that Springfield is a large sponsor of USPSA matches and supports our sport. They have sent hats and tee-shirts etc to relatively small matches without a lot of hassles. Kimber, otoh, does not sponsor or directly support our sport and will send catalogs and not a lot else when asked.

Support those that support our sport, when given the choice. Especially in this case where quality and price between the the two makers is pretty much equal.

Edited by baa

I shot the Single Stack the last 4 years....(always on Friday).. and I always stay on Saturday to follow the Super Squad around.

I asked Robbie why he was shooting the 40 instead of the 45 (which is what he shot the prior 3 years).. He said that now that he has a factory ammo sponsor (Winchester).. he has to shoot their ammo and that of the available loads that made PF... he thought their 40 was a little softer than the .45.

I asked him what he would shoot if he could shoot ANY load that just makes PF and he said he'd rather shoot a 45.... 'cause in generally they feel softer.