Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cdp Change?

I was wondering, if the rules to CDP remained the same with the exception of allowing .40 and up as long as power factor remained at 165 or above, would we see a movement away from .45?

<attention TEF guys, this post is meant to be humorous>

19852 Please do not stir up a hornet's nest with common sense observations, or suggestions. They are not well received.

IDPA is about real world, tactical training. The ONLY acceptable calibers for defence, and offense for that matter, are the 9x19 (and only in a Glock) and .45acp (only in a Wilson). I have it on good authority that there will NEVER be a place IDPA for the #1 LEO and CCW cartridge in America, the excellent .40 S&W, except as special, handloaded mousefart "gamer" loads.

Other calibers are tolerated, but only whilst, whilst mind you, sneering down your nose and mumbling something about them being a "game only" cartridge. :D You know, cartridges like 10mm and .357 Sig.

Go ahead try to find factory .40 that makes 130pf. Even the soft Federal PD made 167 out of my 5" gun. Everything else I've ever found makes 180+.

In conclusion, you're obsolutely right, it don't make no durn sense to have to handload to be competitive in the "real world, non-race, off the shelf, entry level, real world, combat" sport.

No, most in CDP would not switch to it, especially with an 8 round mag limit, and NO they will not listen to you. You are trying to teach pigs to sing. You're #19852 that's tried.

Edited by dirtypool40

I really am not trying to stir things up. I can't see any advantage to a 165pf .40 over a .45 especially if there is a mag limit of 8. What do the guys in USPSA single stack favor? Just trying to learn as much as possible.

I've always thought that it ought to be about power factor, and that the 10mm BELONGS in CDP.

I think it's cool to have a division dedicated to the 1911 in it's original form, but CDP doesn't quite do that (allowing Any .45 to compete there).

It is a bit of an oddity. Does it matter? Not so much. The .357sig and 10mm don't compete well most places when shot at factory power levels (and why download them to a .40 or 9mm, misses the point). CDP seems the best place for them.

Sure, I've known shooters who shoot them. But the competition is secondary to their getting trigger time on thier carry gun.

As for the original question. Some would choose to shoot other calibers there. Anyone wanting to shoot a full powered round cocked and locked would play there. Others who want to shoot a LITTLE cheaper might switch calibers. But the vast majority would likely go with a larger bullet - which is ALWAYS better on a shoot target.

KDMOORE you make a lot of sense and you're right.

That being said I would be amazed if they had the humility to admit the error and change the rule. Hell, they forced 10mm into the "minor, squirt gun" division. Yeah, there's real world. :D

It's funny, they were so busy "closing the loop hole" on other calibers, they left the one about other platforms open. :rolleyes:

We are going to shoot a fun IDPA style match this summer, just for grins, using a little different scoring. Major will have +.25 and +.75 scoring and Minor will be +.50 and +.1.50 scoring. Hit on NT will be a 10 sec bite. A miss will be 5 sec.

"We" = who and where?

"this summer" = when? Once or regularly scheduled?

Are you going to mess with any other rules in a "style" match?

I figure I can handle the power factoring and scoring, but other changes might be detrimental. Unless you plan to take JPA (Joe's Pistol Association) national or at least regional so I can shoot it all the time.

I'd shoot 40 simply because .40 is CHEAPER! Big difference to me and some other people...
if you can't afford the neighbor hood...then........... :lol:

looks like JPA may have something here....

also..i own a .400 cor-bon....but i don't feel left out...

Edited by GmanCdp

Charter memberships are available to the JPA at $10,000 each. There will be a limited number available. That number will depend on how many of you I can chump into sending me your money. :lol:

Now what was that bank account and routing number? Do you have the pin number handy?

careful.....i once got 7th out 40 shooters with a Hi-Point.....sometimes it's the injun and not the arrow.... :P

It could be done, and especially at close IDPA ranges, but doing prooves more you're a good shooter than it..... wait, :huh: seriously......one RAN for a whole match?!!?! :o

Edited by dirtypool40

It is a bit of an oddity. Does it matter? Not so much. The .357sig and 10mm don't compete well most places when shot at factory power levels (and why download them to a .40 or 9mm, misses the point).

Just as odd as USPSA requiring .40 caliber or greater for major power factor in Limited. This thread has started turning into a "Let's make fun of IDPA" topic.

Moderators???????? The topic on the USPSA rules had many, many, posts deleted for getting off of topic. Why not here?

:wacko:

Charter memberships are available to the JPA at $10,000 each. There will be a limited number available. That number will depend on how many of you I can chump into sending me your money. :lol:

Now what was that bank account and routing number? Do you have the pin number handy?

How much of the membership fee goes to fund Scientology? Is Tom Cruise and Ignatius on the BOD?

It is a bit of an oddity. Does it matter? Not so much. The .357sig and 10mm don't compete well most places when shot at factory power levels (and why download them to a .40 or 9mm, misses the point).

Just as odd as USPSA requiring .40 caliber or greater for major power factor in Limited. This thread has started turning into a "Let's make fun of IDPA" topic.

:wacko:

I believe that is for safety. Is .45 the only safe caliber for a 165,000 power floor? I don't think so. 40/10mm can and does safely, I don't want to be around a non comped 9mm major gun.

I believe that is for safety. Is .45 the only safe caliber for a 165,000 power floor? I don't think so. 40/10mm can and does safely, I don't want to be around a non comped 9mm major gun.

Off onto USPSA and Ltd major...

Something I hadn't considered....

USPSA is going through a rules revision, and solicited member input on their forum.

I suggested that .357SIG be allowed to shoot major in limited, because my 226 comfortably makes 165,000.

The concern expressed was that cartridges smaller than 10mm give an advantage because a guy can get more rounds in a magazine. Obviously, that's not a problem with the .357SIG, but most who replied to my post didn't like the idea.

I guess I should have asked the question this way: is there any advantage to .40 over .45 when the powerfactor is 165000 and magazine capacity is restricted to 8+1? And, maybe put it in another section. My question has been answered anyway, thank you.

It all boils down to selling and keeping certain cartridges and platforms competitive. It's just too bad that the really great cartridges like the .45 ACP and 10mm (which incidentally are even more useful in REVOLVERS) are falling by the wayside and need their own special divisions to be competitive.

Dave Sinko