Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Won A Glock! Now What?

Micah

Get a 35. If you chew up your 34 frame too much you can drop the top end on a new 35 and shoot PD or Limited. OR drop the 35 top on your 34 and give Limited a whirl. A local shooter shot his Glocks like that for a while before taking the plunge on a S_I Limited setup.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted G35, because if you will put that work like before you may be in IPSC World Shoot in 2009 as USA team member copeting in Standart div. In other way you can shoot in Limited in US. :)

Congratulations!!! Well done!!!

You need an identical backup gun --- for two reasons: If there's ever a problem, you won't be scrambling to fix the gun, and wondering; you'll just pull the replacement out and go back to worrying about the next stage. Two --- I've seen your primary. You'll need a replacement sooner or later, and I'm thinking sooner!

Something to consider Micah. Remember what happened to M Smoot at a match last year. All of his practice reloads also did a number to his magwell like yours and his Production Glock was ruled illegal. Think Backup.

Edited by bobert1

You need an identical backup gun --- for two reasons: If there's ever a problem, you won't be scrambling to fix the gun, and wondering; you'll just pull the replacement out and go back to worrying about the next stage. Two --- I've seen your primary. You'll need a replacement sooner or later, and I'm thinking sooner!

+1 on what Nik said. Your G34 looks like your dog chewed on it :) Glocks are tough and chances are you won't need a backup, but think of it like insurance. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it :blink:

So I say keep the 34 unless you have something real close like a 17 that could be pressed into backup.

Keith

Get a 35. If you chew up your 34 frame too much you can drop the top end on a new 35 and shoot PD or Limited. OR drop the 35 top on your 34 and give Limited a whirl. A local shooter shot his Glocks like that for a while before taking the plunge on a S_I Limited setup.

You can't switch top ends on a Glock and still compete in Production division. That would be a "Illegal Modification".

Something to consider Micah. Remember what happened to M Smoot at a match last year. All of his practice reloads also did a number to his magwell like yours and his Production Glock was ruled illegal. Think Backup.

THANKS ALOT BOB! :rolleyes:

He really DOSENT need a backup gun .............. I AM his backup gun! :lol:

In the past, the 40 caliber Glock made a lot of sense to me...and that is how I would steer those that asked. The one qualifier being that they reloaded their own ammo (cost$).

With proper fundamentals, the 40 caliber Glock is competitive in Limited and Limited-10 at Major power factor. It can be downloaded to Minor and be as good as anything out there for Production.

At the time, Limited was the division that had the most shooters...the most competition. That is still true at the top...nationally. The list of top shooters in Limited goes deep. Deeper than any other division. Now, Production is coming on strong. It's the most popular division where we shoot. And, there is plenty of competition to go up against.

So, if you are looking for competition, then you can find it in Production now.

That brings me to cost. I shot 40 in Production because it was an easy switch for me to go back and forth with Limited. I used the same powder (TG) and the same bullets (Zero 180jhp's). The only change I had to make was to dial down the powder measure. And, that was cool. The performance was a wash between 9 and 40 for me. I was already shooting Limited and buying 40 bullets, so it didn't cost me anything "extra" to shoot in Production.

Now, I've been shooting mostly Production for the last year and a half or so. And, the cost of bullets are going up and up. If a shooter is going to settle into Production division, and there is no real advantage gained between 9 and 40, then why not go on cost ?

I just got the dealer pricing from Zero. I'm looking at a difference of about $30 per thousand between 124's and 180's. If you shoot 5k a year, that is $150. If you shoot $10k, that is a difference of $300. With differences in price like that, we are going to become a 9mm game. That means Production or Open.

Open...it has it's own headaches. Certainly workable, but shooters aren't going to be able to buy a police turn in gun for $350, another $50 to get them enough mags, then some Uncle Mike's gear and away they go to the match with a gun and gear that is ready to go for Open. Open is the top fuel dragsters...they take some attention to gear.

Backup gun? Hmmm. Seems like you can always buy a police turn in for cheap if you need one. It may not be exactly like what you are running, but it is good insurance if you think you need it. There are usually so many Glock and people you know at matches that you might get by with the beg and borrow if your gun went down. (The more stock you gun is, the less likely it is to go down...many believe.)

Then again...a certificate for a free Glock...hmmm. I don't win stuff like that much either. So, it just might be real nice to turn that cert. into a gun. You can always sell a Glock. It's not like you'd be going down the road of no return. (I did win a shotgun in a drawing once. Then, after a few trades for various things, that morphed it's way into my current competition Glock. It's nice to shoot with a free gun...and win a little. :) )

Your current gun is pretty chewed up. What the heck are you doing to it?

- I'm sure your seen my "barber pole" visual focus point ? That is a great tool. the idea there is to always look the mag into the magwell.

- Using dummy rounds (clearly marked) can help keep the feedlips from digging into the magwell area.

- In your case, it might be a good idea to even put some electrical tape or something on the feedlips of your practice mags to keep from tearing things up.

- And, maybe...practice hitting them clean, as opposed to practicing missing. :):P

----------------

Hey...sound like Keen wants a G34. Go ahead and just get one, then charge him rent to look at it. ;)

That brings me to cost ..............the cost of bullets are going up and up. If a shooter is going to settle into Production division, and there is no real advantage gained between 9 and 40, then why not go on cost ?

I just got the dealer pricing from Zero. I'm looking at a difference of about $30 per thousand between 124's and 180's. If you shoot 5k a year, that is $150. If you shoot $10k, that is a difference of $300. With differences in price like that, we are going to become a 9mm game. That means Production or Open.

I shot 30,000 rounds last year ........ 9mm Production rounds, mind you. How does that shake out in cost differences ? B)

And we all know Pharoah Bender shoots ALLOT, so I wouldnt doubt he can shoot 20,000 ~ 30,000 rounds in a year either.

- Using dummy rounds (clearly marked) can help keep the feedlips from digging into the magwell area.

I believe he already is.

The more stock you gun is, the less likely it is to go down...many believe.

Also when your gun goes down, the one you beg & borrow dosent feel too different from your competition blaster.

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

It's clear this Pharaoh Bender cat wants to keep his new Glock, and I can't blame him.

Maybe he should use the old one for dry-fire & the new one for matches, because if he dry-fires with the new one it's just going to end up all dog-eared like his current one.

Then he can bring the old one along to matches as a backup. Oh but wait ............ the old one won't be legal in Production, since it's all Chewbacca'd up :unsure: Now what ?

You see if he sells it to me (not biased at all, again) he can keep the cash, spend it on whatever his little heart (wife) desires, and I will be his backup gun. I go to all the same matches as he does. And even if I didnt, I'd surely let him borrow it to take as a backup.

Oh heck, now I'm about as confused as I'm sure Pharoh Bender is ................. :wacko:

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

It's clear this Pharaoh Bender cat wants to keep his new Glock, and I can't blame him.

Maybe he should use the old one for dry-fire & the new one for matches, because if he dry-fires with the new one it's just going to end up all dog-eared like his current one.

Then he can bring the old one along to matches as a backup. Oh but wait ............ the old one won't be legal in Production, since it's all Chewbacca'd up :unsure: Now what ?

You see if he sells it to me (not biased at all, again) he can keep the cash, spend it on whatever his little heart (wife) desires, and I will be his backup gun. I go to all the same matches as he does. And even if I didnt, I'd surely let him borrow it to take as a backup.

Oh heck, now I'm about as confused as I'm sure Pharoh Bender is ................. :wacko:

So back to buying my own G17 ..........

Who's got one ???

Sh!t...I checked this thread with my wife sitting here reading over my shoulder. Thanks for all of the input and information gents...I'll come to a conclusion soon :P

I also shoot USPSA with a G34 and ended up winning two GSSF certificates last year. I settled on a G35 for the occasional L10 visit and I also want to play around with .40 in minor to see if it's any good. The second one ended up being a G26, just for fun...

The G35 might not be the optimal gun for L10, but since I mainly practice with the G34 I probably wouldnt do any better with a shiner 1911-type gun anyway.

Prizes are a lot easier to get through the gf, so selling was not an option ;)

Edited by gose

Oh but wait ............ the old one won't be legal in Production, since it's all Chewbacca'd up

You guys are going to have to tell me that story (shooting this weekend?). It sounds like some BS rule calling to me.

Yup, shooting this weekend.

You saw the pics above, didnt you ??? ............one of our friends had a G34 with the same (maybe more) amount of ragged-ness around the perimiter of his magwell, and was told by the Chrono man :ph34r: that it was illegal for Prod. Division. RM backed up the call.

:(

Was told it looked like he 'purposely' filed or sanded on the magwell to gain an advantage. Of course he didn't, he was on the Pharaoh Bender dry-fire plan. ;)

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

Your current gun is pretty chewed up. What the heck are you doing to it?

- And, maybe...practice hitting them clean, as opposed to practicing missing. :):P

I do use dummy rounds in my dryfire only mags. I had to learn to crawl before I learned to walk, and my magwell paid the price. I've been trying to practice hitting the reload for quite some time now...only as of late have I had some success :D

sell the glock

buy a an XD or 1911

:lol::D:):mellow:<_<:(:angry::ph34r:

Thanks for all the input. After much thought, I believe that I will obtain another G34 and carry it in my range bag as my backup. I'll have the same sights installed and will run with a tungsten guiderod, but aside from a polishing of the internals, will not make and other modifications.

sell the glock

buy a an XD or 1911

:lol::D:):mellow:<_<:(:angry::ph34r:

Thanks for all the input. After much thought, I believe that I will obtain another G34 and carry it in my range bag as my backup. I'll have the same sights installed and will run with a tungsten guiderod, but aside from a polishing of the internals, will not make and other modifications.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Buy a manly gun! :P

I don't know Pharaoh, you can do a lot with a 17. :)

DSC01100.jpg

We'll add some color over the summer... :)

Fireglock, trust me when I say that the thought has crossed my mind more than once to get a G17 and send it to SJC :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy everyone....interesting topic and a great problem to have...last year shooting GSSF I randomly won (4) pistols and I say randomly because I'm not that good...I sent in for G17's and have (4) setup the same way....I now shoot GSSF and Steel Plates and find that having backups keeps continuity of my progression of progress.....I vote a backup in whatever firearm that you intend to shoot in the future. :)