Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major Pf Idpa

steel1212

but minor is 125 for both.

There is no "minor" PF in IDPA, only low PF limits for divisions.

Semantics.

IDPA calls it Power Floor.

Still calculated the same as Power Factor.

Edited by RePete

IDPA power floor for CDP and ESR is 165,000. (In IDPA they don't divide by 1,000.) In USPSA the power floor for Major power factor is 165. In other words, identical. Back when I shot a 1911 .45 in USPSA/IDPA, I used the exact same 170 pf handloads for both.

Power factor or power floor its the same thing it equals out to a 125 grain 9mm going 1000 feet per second to make it.

Regardless this isn't my question so lets get back on track here.

My question is for mainly people that shoot a 40. Do you download to 40 minor or just keep shooting your major power factor ammo so as to not change anything.

Hello: I have two loads for 40. My USPSA major load using 185 grain bullets and my IDPA load using 155 grain bullets. The USPSA is 171000 power factor and the IDPA is 131000 power factor. The major load shoots flat compaired to the minor load. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

Power factor or power floor its the same thing it equals out to a 125 grain 9mm going 1000 feet per second to make it.

Regardless this isn't my question so lets get back on track here.

My question is for mainly people that shoot a 40. Do you download to 40 minor or just keep shooting your major power factor ammo so as to not change anything.

Actually it was your question.

I load 45ACP and 40S&W to major.

Why change?

I don't want to go to a match and find out that I've picked up the wrong PF'd ammo.

No change, no mix up.

I shoot a 125.1 pf in IDPA and a 165.1 in IPSC. I like a little cushion.

Joe:

I hate to tell you but that's cutting the line too fine.

A temperature change can/will push you into shooting for fun class/division. I've seen it happen at the 2005 Ontario IPSC Provincial Championships. Guy's shooting class close to the line went down (major to minor and minor to fun).

Do you download to 40 minor or just keep shooting your major power factor ammo so as to not change anything.

Corey,

I kind of approach that as "what's my main thing".

If I were only shooting at my home club every weekend, I have one match (USPSA) that recognized the power of a fully loaded 40. The other matches/weekends at the club, I'd get no benefit from shooting "major" power in the 40.

40 minor is probably a little easier on the brass, gun, and such...and still plenty accurate. But, you might have to mess around with changing your gun up (springs and such) to ensure that it runs.

On top of that, your timing would change. So, you'd want/need some practice time to get your timing back when you switch back and forth.

I usually just simplified things and ran the same (major) load all the time. I really don't think that the casual shooter who jumps back and forth between major and minor gains any performance. They may notice the softer feel of shooting minor, but I don't know that I've seen those shooters gain in the scores from it. Now, if they are hard-core and get out and shoot a bunch as they switch up, then they might see a little benefit (of course, that may come from sheer practice too :) ).

I shoot a 125.1 pf in IDPA and a 165.1 in IPSC. I like a little cushion.

:lol:

Joe:

I hate to tell you but that's cutting the line too fine.

A temperature change can/will push you into shooting for fun class/division. I've seen it happen at the 2005 Ontario IPSC Provincial Championships. Guy's shooting class close to the line went down (major to minor and minor to fun).

Okay, we all DO realize he was joking, right? ;)

I do wish IDPA would allow Major PF loads to be scored differently than they currently are. TSA, while some aspects of it are flawed, has a good approach.

We are going to shoot a fun IDPA style match this summer, just for grins, using a little different scoring. Major will have +.25 and +.75 scoring and Minor will be +.50 and +.1.50 scoring. Hit on NT will be a 10 sec bite. A miss will be 5 sec.

I will probably shoot my G35 in SSP with Major loads. Hope I don't break my wrist :P

Now that's an interesting concept! And here are a couple more suggestions... Allow 9mm and .40 to load to major, since apparently it can be done safely and allow only 6+0 in the gun at any time so that the revolver shooters are not disadvantaged. There is no such thing as a "Division" and everybody really does compete on equal terms. Sound good?

Dave Sinko

Now that's an interesting concept! And here are a couple more suggestions... Allow 9mm and .40 to load to major, since apparently it can be done safely and allow only 6+0 in the gun at any time so that the revolver shooters are not disadvantaged. There is no such thing as a "Division" and everybody really does compete on equal terms. Sound good?

Dave Sinko

Major 9 in a unsupported chamber is a disaster looking for a place to happen.--------Larry

I shoot my USPSA limited gun in IDPA ESP class (Para .40) I only shoot IDPA once a month (vs 6+ a month USPSA) so I tend to just shoot my Major .40 load. I have played around with minor .40 loads for ESP and have gotten my gun down to "spitball" level of recoil, but I am too lazy to mess around with the press and change recoil springs for a once a month match. :) Besides, I shoot my major load so often that I don't think shooting it at an IDPA match puts me at a great disadvantage. That said, I would probably load up minor .40 if I was going to shoot a major IDPA match in the ESP division.

I have a double stack and single stack .40 that i shoot in IDPA. I just use my Limited loads (174 PF) as i shoot USPSA much more, don't have to fiddle with the press, and do not have to adjust to different timing issues with the load and gun.

I am not so sure I would want to be around a 9mm shooting Major. I do wonder if it would not be a little easier to make if the gun did not have a comp and holes in the barrel.