Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

07 Open/Limited-10 Nationals *Missoula*

rtr

Dude.... I even *offered* to schlep all your stuff to Missoula so you could do the trip on your bike, but noooooooo. You said something about 500 miles on the bike being a little hard on your ... um... well, maybe you would have been walking funny for a couple of days, but where's your sense of priorities?!?!?

:P:P:P

Bruce

Hi Bruce..yeah to bring everyone (who doesn't care) up to speed, 2 days before my trip to Missoula for A1-2005 by car blew a radiator. Bruce had offered to schlep all of my stuff over while I rode my bike....a Yamaha R1. It would have been a great plan if I was riding from oh say...Spokane to Missoula.....but by the time I would have made it to Spokane from Seattle, I'm guessing my butt would of had enough of the "fun".

The autoparts store bailed me out and got me a radiator 1 day before I left. :)

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing my butt would of had enough of the "fun".

500 miles, that's... what... 3 hours on one of those things? What a wuss!

B)

(I did it door-to-door in 6.5 hours of air-conditioned, ipod-cranked, radar-detector-on-high-alert comfort...)

B)

(I did it door-to-door in 6.5 hours of air-conditioned, ipod-cranked, radar-detector-on-high-alert comfort...)

3 hours without cops.....30 days with! :P

Any word on match hotel, yet??? ;)

We'll be using the Holiday Inn Parkside, which is downtown, very near I-90, and the University of Montana campus. The downtown area has regular after-hours activities, I hear, which would be good for family members as well as competitors. There are several funky shops down there as well.

As for shipping ammo, the best way to do that is to ship it to yourself, care of your hotel. Let the hotel know it's coming and ask them to hold it for you. We don't have a shipping address for the range, and I don't want to overwhelm the tremendous local help we have with receipt and delivery of ammo and stuff.

Troy

B)

<_< 500 on a bike <_< My wife and I are going to do 50+ on our feet after the match ;)

Troy, will there be a negotiated rate on the hotel, similar to the arrangement in Tulsa last year? (ie, can we get into the match hotel for less than $140/night)???

Thanks for the info!

Days Inn is around $80 + taxes ... I doubt that any discount will amount to much more than $20 a night and probably much less than that. There's a few other hotels in the area. I booked the Red Lion for about $30 less than the match hotel. Still hits $630 with taxes etc.

Missoula is scary expensive <_<

Edited by BritinUSA

We're in the throes of negotiating a competitor rate at the hotel. It will be less than $140 per night, but I don't have a final number right now. As soon as we sign a contract, I'll post the info here.

Missoula is fairly inexpensive in the winter months, but rates go up in the summer because that's their bigger tourist season. The weather is nice, the scenery is beautiful, but the rooms cost more. C'est la vie.

Troy

When I did 2005-A1, I stayed at the Val-U-Inn....don't let the name fool you, it was a really nice hotel and about $70 a night as I recall. I found it by searching user review on a website called tripadvisor.com. It had high reviews so I thought I would try it....glad I did. The only negative was that I wasn't in the match hotel (Rubys?) and had to drive there for the awards...but that wasn't that big of a deal.

A quick check of the hotel links I posted earlier show that some of the motels are already listed as sold out when entering Jun 20-25. The motels do not list when summer rates start but the KOA list Jun 1-Sep 15. As Dave Thomas stated in his Front Sight article Montana does not have a sales tax but it does have a 4% bed tax which are not included in the listed room rates. Dave also fell back to his Montana frame of mind of distance, the road to the Bison Refuge turn off is 27.5 miles up US 93 and the first good view of the Missions is near the town of St. Ignatius where there is a Catholic Mission built in 1891.

Montanan's are a little lax about distances as it is not unusual for a parent to take their child 250 miles one way for a ball game. For me it is only 165 miles to the nearest match which barely gives me time to check out the scenery.

As Troy mentioned, the Holiday Inn Parkside will be the match hotel. I haven't posted anything on the Nationals page yet because they are in the process of setting up our online booking utility. The rate will be $109, double occupancy or $129, double occupancy with breakfast buffet for two. Breakfast is served beginning at 6 am and according to my sources, it's supposed to be a good one.

In addition, they'll be offering our guests a punch card for one complimentary drink in hotel lounge per night of stay. I know. It's a small thing, but they're doing what they can. It's a beautiful property adjacent to the Clark Fork River. It's very conveniently located. Easy to get to, 15 minutes from the range, close to downtown, scads of good restaurants, shopping, etc. Free parking, free wireless internet access. Awards and registration will be there as well as the staff appreciation dinner.

They've gone out of their way to work out a deal for us. June is the height of tourist season so they can obviously get much more for these rooms. Many of the other hotels in the area weren't willing to budge an inch from their summer rate when I called to inquire about working out a deal. They wouldn't even talk to me about it. Nevermind the response I got when I tried to set up the Award's banquet or reserve registration space. So while this might seem steep, the Holiday really has bent over backwards to do what they can to accommodate us.

As soon as they've set up the online booking utility I'll post the link over on the Nationals page and anyone interested in booking in on our reserved block may do so through that link.

That's all I have for now. I'll post more when I know more.

Thanks,

Kim ;)

The Holiday Inn/Parkside is 2 blocks south of Broadway.Broadway is the main east/west street through Missoula.It is also the road that takes you almost to the range.You would leave the motel,go 2 blocks to Broadway,turn right (east) stay on Broadway,which will take you under the interstate and thriugh East Missoula.Once through East Missoula,you will go down a hill(brickyard hill).Turn right at the first street at the bottom of the hill(Speedway Drive).Go 1/4 mile and turn left at the first road(Deer Creek Road).Cross the river and go by the new,exclusive golf course and continue on for 2 miles.Take the first right after you cross the railroad tracks(you'll see the range sign).So far you've travelled about 5 miles and you should take 15 minutes max if you drive like an old grandma.On the way to the range,you'll drive by all the popular fast food places,plenty of convienience stores,gas stations,grocery stores and sports bars.(the best eateries and bars are on a need to know basis).The week you people are here the sun will be up about 6:00 AM and go down about 10:30 PM.It makes for nice,long summer days.We might even get 9 holes in after shooting and before dark.The lows should be in the 40's and the highs in the 90's.at about 4:00 PM every night,we get what are known as the hellgate winds.They last about 2 hours and can be 20 mph's.Plan on them if you are shooting during these times.No sales tax and you can pump your own gas.(that last one was for our Oregon friends).If you need any other questions answered,just ask.I'm always willing to help.See you all soon.

Bubba

Does the altitude affect reloads, particularly the power factor? I'm at about 900 feet above sea level. I understand Montana is about 3000 feet?

Will that difference have any appreciable effect on the power factor? I know the temperature got some people in trouble at Area 4. I'm hoping to avoid that.

Thanks.

Altitude at the range;3244.Will it affect your FPS?? Well let's just say that at Marysville for A1 a few years back,I was 169PF in Missoula and 164.8PF in Marysville.Oh well.

Bubba