Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

May Be A Stupid Question . . .

glock_556

Is it safe and/or prudent to re-seat any loads with high primers?

I'm guessing that most people will tell you not to do it and they're probably right. I know I've done it in the past and never had any problems, but that doesn't mean it can't turn bad quickly.

I think the difference is that if one does go off when you seat it normally it's only going to be noisy. If it goes off on a loaded round you're going to have pieces of brass flying all over the place and you'll probably be picking parts of it out of your skin.

What I did was put on a welding glove, use my left hand (I'm a righty), put on ear protection, and turn my head so I wasn't facing the press (with glasses on). That way it wasn't likely to do much damage if things go badly. I did that when I was a poor college student, but now I'd just toss it in the garbage....it's like losing two dimes :)

Yeah, re-seat them with the firing pin in your gun even if it takes three whacks to do it. The ONLY place I am re-seating high primers is in the gun, and even then I am loading them slowly and carefully so that the breechface doesn't light them for me.

Just pull the bullets, seat the primers, and load them again. Nothing else is worth the hassle or risk.

No, do not reseat primers on live ammo. You can ask Dillon if you still are inclined to do so. Link here: http://www.dillonhelp.com/rl550benglish/safety.htm

If you need to take ammo apart get a bullet puller. They are listed under Miscellaneous Press and Loading Accessories at the bottom of the folloing page: http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.bench.html#swage

Bottom line, don't do it.

Keith

You know what I do with defective pistol rounds these days? I send them off to my local mob-owned-and-operated garbage incinerator for proper disposal. The money involved isn't enough to be worth the risk. And for what they're charging me, Vinny and Vito ought to be cleaning my guns for free.

Edited by EricW

What has happened when reseating primers in loaded ammo, is that powder dribbles down through the flash hole, filling the gap between the top of the primer and the interior top of the primer pocket. Then, when you push forward on the handle to reseat the primer, the anvil is compressed by the powder in there, setting off the primer. I have had one customer set off a 45 ACP cartridge while attempting to reseat a primer. The case stayed in place, the bullet went up into the die, pushing the die out of the 550 toolhead. Too much excitement! :o:blink::unsure:

Hi G-ManBart,

first, press harder before you finish loading the round.

second, either toss the round or...

third, as I do, disassemble it...

then press harder.

it is easier to press harder the first time!

miranda

Thanks Miranda. It was actually Glock 556 that was asking. I don't even bother disassembling bad rounds any more as it's not worth the time...just toss 'em and press on :)

"I don't even bother disassembling bad rounds any more as it's not worth the time...just toss 'em and press on "

That $0.09 worth of components may not be worth a hole in my hide, but they are worth pulling! I'm so broke, I pull each and every bullet that is FUBAR....

Billy

Billy,

I've been there myself. The sad thing is that when you've got the time, you don't have the money. When you've got the money you don't have the time...d'oh!

Billy,

I've been there myself. The sad thing is that when you've got the time, you don't have the money. When you've got the money you don't have the time...d'oh!

I wish I had the time! I'm taking a 14 Credit load this semester, work 30 hrs a week, manage a 4.0 (so far) and ..... Just had my 3rd son!

My life is a finely orchistrated ballet

:wacko::blink:

Billy

:D

If you're loading on a Dillon 550 or 650, a loose shellplate usually results in high primers. If the shellplate is loose, no amount of pressure will fully seat the primers.

Never reseat primers with powder in the case, lots of good reasons already stated.

If you're loading on a Dillon 550 or 650, a loose shellplate usually results in high primers. If the shellplate is loose, no amount of pressure will fully seat the primers.

Never reseat primers with powder in the case, lots of good reasons already stated.

BINGO!!

That is what happened to me at the Florida Open. Not fun!!!!

The whole batch was JUST out of spec, so I was having intermittent problems the first two stages. Took the gun to Derek of Millennium Custom, told him of the problem. He installed an extended Firing Pin, and I only had 3 more failures to fire the last 8 stages. But the hand racking first 2 stages pretty much ruined my match.

As for pulling bullets...

To me, that can be a time waster. Unless I was completely out of components, I wouldn't pull them until later.

I just toss the defective rounds into a coffee can or something. Later, when I get enough and find a moment to care...that is when I'll sit down and do a mass pulling of bullets. (like, every couple of years)

As a precautionary note, using an inertial bullet puller with high primers can be dangerous. There have been occasions where the impact of the puller allowed the primer to seat further, detonating.

I understand it can be quite exciting when the cartridge fires in a plastic mallet. Unfortunately, injury is likely from the shrapnel.

Guy

...that is when I'll sit down and do a mass pulling of bullets. (like, every couple of years)

Bullets I pull usually get marked up. The salvaged powder is also useless. The case and primer, provided it can be reseated safely, might be salvageable, but, being as after a couple years I've probably have moved on to different components, I wouldn't use them for much except for practice. I'm not sure it's worth disassembling.

As a precautionary note, using an inertial bullet puller with high primers can be dangerous. There have been occasions where the impact of the puller allowed the primer to seat further, detonating

...Unfortunately, injury is likely from the shrapnel.

THAT I didn't know.

I think now, given these comments, that I'll just try shooting off the rounds in the gun. If the primer doesn't seat and fire after one or two goes, into the trash or berm it goes...

:(:(

As a precautionary note, using an inertial bullet puller with high primers can be dangerous. There have been occasions where the impact of the puller allowed the primer to seat further, detonating.

I understand it can be quite exciting when the cartridge fires in a plastic mallet. Unfortunately, injury is likely from the shrapnel.

Guy

Thanks Guy, I did not know this either. Sounds like disposing of the high primer rounds in the trash ammo barrel at the range is the way to go.

Keith