Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ultra Dot L/t An Option?

dirtypool40

Seriously, he'll hurt me.

And Paul, if you find this, I'm just checking it out, I'm not buying one, honest.

ultra dot L/T

So anyway, is the Ultra dot any improvement in field, ruggedness or clarity over the Dr. / Optima series? It looks bigger in the pics but who's actually seen one.

I would still put it on a mount, but it might look cool and help with ejection problems (tiny mount well forward??).

Anyway, what do we know?

Edited by dirtypool40

Interesting. First the Burris dot sight comes along, aimed directly at the Docter market.

Now this one from Microdot.

Lens size on the Ultradot L/T is 26mm. That's larger than Docter/Jpoint, and compares

favorably with C-more's 29mm lens.

LIFETIME warranty, with advertised quick turnaround. That's a plus.

Negatives---dot size. Both the Burris and Ultradot are 4 moa. I would like to see

a 6-8 moa dot. It looks like the Weaver mount is integral to the Ultradot. I would

prefer a mount system like the Docter/Burris/Jpoint that would allow a melted in

slide ride mount.

Alan, actually I was interested in having it frame mounted, forward of the ejection port, so I don't have to go upside down c-more or something like that.

Just random musings solving problems that aren't really there.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.........

DOH!!! We're busted..... RUN!!!!!

:o

:huh:

:mellow:

:(

uhh, hehe... thread closed?

My buddy got one...maybe he will be along to post.

I hadn't mentioned it here..was waiting on a report.

The one he got was the last one that had at the time. It had a little issue of some sort with the lense. He had them send it, with the knowledge that it might have problems. It did.

But, it might be good to note that he has trouble with dots on his gun. He is shooting a G20 in an open setup. He's had two Leupold/Gilmore dots go down...probably others.

He had lots of good to report on it, but it is still unproven as to standing up to our Open guns. And...it only comes with a 4 moa dot.

I'm the one Kyle refers to in his post .The Ultra Dot L/T has alot of good points,lens size is larger than the Dr's ,Optima's and J-Points ,its more in line with the C-more,it has alot more size and heft to it,dot brightness is good,Lens quality is Exc. ,but its only a 4moa ,the Hunters and Bullseye types will love it ,a little small for the speed game .I had some problems with durability,their Warrenty is exc. I'm working on the second one now .I will use this one on a hunting set up .I find the dot size to be the major problem for our game .I suggested to their Reps. that it would be nice if a 6 or 8 MOA be added to their line .

As Kyle stated I have serious issues with the Leopold/Gilmore on durability ,but I will not get into that here.

Dale

I have 3 Leupold Gilmore dots and have never had a problem with them. They are about 6 years old. I am glad you posted about a problem with them. Were they newer models?

The Ultradot might be good on an AR. You don't need a big dot with your face anchored to the stock.

I have 3 Leupold Gilmore dots and have never had a problem with them. They are about 6 years old. I am glad you posted about a problem with them. Were they newer models?

The Ultradot might be good on an AR. You don't need a big dot with your face anchored to the stock.

Yes they were bought in the last two yrs . I have always used Leupold pistol scopes on the big boomers and not many problems ,Both dots were taken out on 10mm set ups ? Not a big boomer in my book .

Dale

Edited by dwt

Well ...

I'm always on the look out for new possibilities. Of course, I am burned out with spending money on new stuff continually being introduced ... can definetely use some input from actual "real time" durability issues of the dot module under continuous heavy pounding from a slide mounting installation. When, and if you/anyone can get this to post here it would be greatly apreciated. It would be nice if this one would/could work, and if the manufacturer/importer would import/manufacture it with the larger dots.

Keep the info coming as it becomes available. Please ??!!!! :)

I won't post the pic of me with the black eye and the shock collar PaulW put on me last night for starting this thread.

But then again that's what they tell me; either kick someone's ass right away or become someone's bitch. :P

( :huh: wait..... DOH!!! :blink: I Have a feeling I just replaced "man-crush" as my quote. <_< Damnit!!! Don't I ever get to be a tough guy?!?!? :angry: Verbal sensors failed to engage again)

I've used UltraDot tube sights on my Bullseye guns for years. Outstanding warranty and service (although I've never had to use it, a fellow shooter had to send one back). They hold up to slide mounting on a .45 better than anything else I've seen. I'm slowly building an open gun and thinking this might be the way to go. Need a 6 MOA dot though.

• 11 months later...
I'm always on the look out for new possibilities. Of course, I am burned out with spending money on new stuff continually being introduced ... can definetely use some input from actual "real time" durability issues of the dot module under continuous heavy pounding from a slide mounting installation. When, and if you/anyone can get this to post here it would be greatly apreciated. It would be nice if this one would/could work, and if the manufacturer/importer would import/manufacture it with the larger dots.

Let someone else spend there time and money to hash out and break new unproven stuff. If its made it can be broken.

If you want to come to the dark-side and unleash your true unrestricted Skywalker speed you have hidden within build or buy a mid length or full length proven setup. Look what the top guys are using, all but one its a standard cmore on a proven platform.