Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Florida Open - 2007 Now That The Match Is Underway

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For all you guys you shot the Open, any recommendations on acceptable hotels within the Frostproof area? :unsure:

If price is not an issue, the Holiday Inn Express is a nice place for about $130/night. Otherwise the Qulaity Inn is cheaper and somewhat less nice. Those are my two choices.

Stayed at the QI. Decent enough place, though even the $81/night match rate was a little pricey for what I got, in my opinion. The bed was nice, the room was clean. Guess I can't ask for too much more, eh??? :D

I have stayed at the Green Gables in Lake Wales 3x, now -- last year's FlOpen, a class, and this year's FlOpen. About $79 a night, and 20 minutes from the range.

I'd have said it seemed reasonable, though this last go-round was a bit rough.

First, my reservations were messed up, and they had me for Th/Fr instead of Fr/Sat, so I was told I'd have to move rooms. But the good news was, I'd be getting a nicer room Saturday.

So check in, and find the bad news is, I'd be paying the upcharge for the nicer room, too. <grumble>. Anyway. Check in, open up my room, and some poor guy drinking beer in his underwear jumps off the bed about 3' in the air, when I open the door on him.

Back to the front desk -- "Ooops. Our records show that room was supposed to be empty."

Anyway, at 0darkthirty Sat. AM, I pack up all my stuff, and vacate the room only to get a call on my cell-phone later that afternoon, saying, "Mr. King? You didn't need to vacate, after all -- you can keep the same room." Nice.

I will say, the restaurant near the motel has improved considerably, though a far stretch still, from "good."

On another topic, this is only my second Open, but I really don't mind the wait between stages, for whatever reason.

For all you guys you shot the Open, any recommendations on acceptable hotels within the Frostproof area? :unsure:

Stay in Orlando! We were at the Crowne Plaza Orlando and it was a sweet hotel. Only $89 a night, no switching rooms, no moving rooms. More options for food despite the drive to the range.

Edited by surfwmn

Stayed at the QI. Decent enough place, though even the $81/night match rate was a little pricey for what I got, in my opinion. The bed was nice, the room was clean. Guess I can't ask for too much more, eh??? :D

I booked the QI Thursday afternoon for Thursday night on the net and got a rate of $76. Whoever set up the match rate, didn't try very hard.

I booked the QI Thursday afternoon for Thursday night on the net and got a rate of $76. Whoever set up the match rate, didn't try very hard.

That was because of your AARP discount combined with your ADA discount. The rest of us could not earn that rate! :P

I stayed at the Quality Inn this time and it was pretty nice, no complaints. But then again, if my vehicle is not broken into and everything stolen, Im fairly happy.

Leo,

Didnt you use to stay at Green Gables or Inn on the Green years ago? I dont remember the exact name, but I know it had something to do with the word Green.

How was it ?

Kevin,

I have been to the last 8 Florida Opens (missed the first one because I was out of town) in addition to seveeral other larger matches at Franks range. I have stayed at the majority of the nicer places. Inn on the Green was good, Quality Inn is good, Green Gables was good but Holiday Inn Express is clearly the nicest.

Being that I live about an hour and a half away from the range, I think it would be foolish for me to spend the night at a hotel that is an hour away from the range, so that eliminates a few potential much nicer places that are farther North (closer to Orlando) or South on Hwy 27. The place you were asking about is:

Green Gables

21380 Hwy 27 North

Lake Wales, Florida 33872

(863) 676-2511

I stayed at the Quality Inn this time and it was pretty nice, no complaints. But then again, if my vehicle is not broken into and everything stolen, Im fairly happy.

Leo,

Didnt you use to stay at Green Gables or Inn on the Green years ago? I dont remember the exact name, but I know it had something to do with the word Green.

How was it ?

This was by far the biggest match we've been to. Enjoyed watching all that talent! Congrats to all the winners. The stages were tops, great props, helpful staff. Thanks to all who helped put this on. Will try to keep Ol Man Winter from hitching a ride south if we make it back next year.

Sarah, Steve, and Sue

This was my first Florida Open and I had the luxury of staying at my folks house and be pampered by Mom, you just can't beat those accomodations. :)

On the positive side, the stage design was excellent and the facilities were top notch. This was the first time I saw pneumatic steel used for the shootoff and it was pretty cool. I was also on a very international squad and had an great time with the folks from sweden and belgium.

As for negative, the wait between stages was terrible. There have been lots of discussions on this already but I thought I'd put it in perspective a little bit. After shooting stage 1 or 2 (can't remember exactly) when our squad wrapped up we had a 1hour 55 min wait until we were scheduled to shoot the next stage. If you were the first shooter on the last stage, and now were the last shooter on the upcoming stage you are looking at >3 hour gap. Impossible to get into a rythym and it's like shooting the first stage of a match every time.

Unless the format is changed next year, I'll make sure to get on the Friday schedule. Of course please note that I fully intend on going next year as it was an excellent match.

LIMITED 10 OVERALL RESULTS

1 Burrell, Mike F42936 GM Limited 10 Major N N 1459.1463 100.00%

2 Dickerson, Kenny TY44332 B Limited 10 Major N N 1327.3547 90.97%

3 Savage-M, Peter U Limited 10 Major N Y 1247.0943 85.47%

Awesome match this year, better than last year!

Thanks to Frank and all the staff.

It was colder than we expected, my five pairs of shorts were not used much.

I walked right by a target on the Appliance stage and took two mikes and a procedural. That sucked.

The catfish were biting on chicken livers though, and I was happy with my finish. It only took us 33 hours to drive down this year vice 37 last year.

It's all good.

I think I'll have a go at Limited next year.

Thanks gang,

V7