Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Florida Open - 2007 Now That The Match Is Underway

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now that I know you're an expert with an Open gun Fireant maybe you can help me figure out how to use my new blaster. I'm not sure I bought a good one though. I can't find the front and rear sights and someone drilled a bunch of holes in the barrel extension. Am I supposed to use that part to strain spaghetti? Also, for the life of me I can't figure out what use that magnifying glass is mounted above the frame. I suppose I'm supposed to use it to start a fire to keep me warm on cold mornings like Friday and Saturday :wacko:

Edited by XD Niner

It's been said before, but...

Place Name USPSA Class Division PF Lady For Age Points Stg %

1 Sevigny, Dave TY42164 GM Limited Major N N 1405.4477 100.00%

2 Jarrett, Todd L2458 GM Limited Major N N 1404.1166 99.91%

3 Tomasie-M, Travis L1973 GM Limited Major N N 1401.7111 99.73%

Unbelievable!

I have only been shooting USPSA for six months and this was really my first major match. It was extremely fun and the people at the match put on a great match. My best stage was the statistician - 32, 1 shot targets. Worst was the repairman when my gun jammed at the refigerator.

The only thing I wanted to know was why they had trophies for 1-3rd in every class for Open and Limited as well as trophies for 1-3rd in Military, LE, Senior, Lady in Open and Limited and only had trophies for 1-5 overall in L-10, production, revolver and single stack. I can understand not having that many for revolver, single stack and L-10, since they are usually a small amount of people, but there was still a considerably large amount of people shooting production. They never explained why they did it that way at the awards ceremony and I am assuming the match catered to the open and limited classes, but wondering if anyone else knew why they did it that way.

The only thing I wanted to know was why they had trophies for 1-3rd in every class for Open and Limited as well as trophies for 1-3rd in Military, LE, Senior, Lady in Open and Limited and only had trophies for 1-5 overall in L-10, production, revolver and single stack. I can understand not having that many for revolver, single stack and L-10, since they are usually a small amount of people, but there was still a considerably large amount of people shooting production. They never explained why they did it that way at the awards ceremony and I am assuming the match catered to the open and limited classes, but wondering if anyone else knew why they did it that way.

This, while unfortunate, was based on the expected participation at the time when the awards were ordered. Had Frank known the number of people that would sign up in Production, they would have been recognized more like Open and Limited were. To further illustrate this, the current plan for 2008 will have Production elevated to a level similar to Open and Limited with class recognition and a cash payback for the division. Obviously, the cash payback will depend on participation within the division.

This, while unfortunate, was based on the expected participation at the time when the awards were ordered. Had Frank known the number of people that would sign up in Production, they would have been recognized more like Open and Limited were. To further illustrate this, the current plan for 2008 will have Production elevated to a level similar to Open and Limited with class recognition and a cash payback for the division. Obviously, the cash payback will depend on participation within the division.

Nah Leo, this exact format will never change and no matter what Frank or anyone else says, I (along with everyone else) will not buy this one.

There was actually less shooters in Production this year at Fl Open than in the 2 previous years. In 05, there was 76 and in 06 there was 68. This year there was only 60 shooters in Production and no matter what the attendance is, every match always does this exact same thing. The national trend is that Production is growing faster than any division in USPSA and even though there were fewer shooters this year than in the last 2 years, they still again do awards, prizes, etc the same way each time. If that was the case, Frank has had a minimum of two years to change the format and nothing has been done.

The only match Ive ever shot that had Production remotely close to Open/Limited award/prize wise is this past years Open/Production Nats, and thats only b/c there were only two divisions and it was the Nats. This is the way it has always been and always will be, no biggie. You should be here for the fun of the match anyway b/c you're never going to get or pick up anything for any division except Open or Limited, those are the two bread winners.

Kevin,

I can't tell you what happened in previous years but he got the message this year. Maybe the last 3 years have proven that Production attendance will remain at a level that merits recognition? I was not at the awards ceremony but evidently enough folks got his ear, and twisted hard enough to get him to listen. Frank is not political or discriminatory, he is a business man and would prefer to have happy repeat customers. To prove that, I have been instructed to update the website for the 2008 (Tenth Anniversary Match) and it will clearly state that Production will be treated similarly to Open and Limited, including cash payback(based on the number of shooters in each division). If you believe that there is a conspiracy, that is your right, but his intent seems pretty clear to me. Once he puts it on the website, and match application, it is pretty much going to happen.

Now for my question, what the heck happened to the Single Stack attendance? Who would have guessed that Revolvers would have more folks in attendance!

Leo

Nah Leo, this exact format will never change and no matter what Frank or anyone else says, I (along with everyone else) will not buy this one.

There was actually less shooters in Production this year at Fl Open than in the 2 previous years. In 05, there was 76 and in 06 there was 68. This year there was only 60 shooters in Production and no matter what the attendance is, every match always does this exact same thing. The national trend is that Production is growing faster than any division in USPSA and even though there were fewer shooters this year than in the last 2 years, they still again do awards, prizes, etc the same way each time. If that was the case, Frank has had a minimum of two years to change the format and nothing has been done.

The only match Ive ever shot that had Production remotely close to Open/Limited award/prize wise is this past years Open/Production Nats, and thats only b/c there were only two divisions and it was the Nats. This is the way it has always been and always will be, no biggie. You should be here for the fun of the match anyway b/c you're never going to get or pick up anything for any division except Open or Limited, those are the two bread winners.

Edited by L9X25

Kevin,

I can't tell you what happened in previous years but he got the message this year. Maybe the last 3 years have proven that Production attendance will remain at a level that merits recognition? I was not at the awards ceremony but evidently enough folks got his ear, and twisted hard enough to get him to listen. Frank is not political or discriminatory, he is a business man and would prefer to have happy repeat customers. To prove that, I have been instructed to update the website for the 2008 (Tenth Anniversary Match) and it will clearly state that Production will be treated similarly to Open and Limited, including cash payback(based on the number of shooters in each division). If you believe that there is a conspiracy, that is your right, but his intent seems pretty clear to me. Once he puts it on the website, and match application, it is pretty much going to happen.

Now for my question, what the heck happened to the Single Stack attendance? Who would have guessed that Revolvers would have more folks in attendance!

Leo

I dont think there is a conspiracy and I know Frank doesnt intentionally do things like this, but this has always been the case with every match Ive ever shot, attended or heard about, except this past years Nats, and that is only b/c it was the Nats and there were only two divisions, Open and Production.

Anyone who has watched or paid attention to the Fl Open participation the past several years has seen that Production is not Revolver and bring in 5-6 shooters. But things still dont change and I dont have a problem with that, I just dont want new shooters to have this misguided belief that Production is going to be given any more merit than L10, Revolver and SS. Open and Limited are the bread winners for USPSA and that will never change. I shoot Production b/c I like it, not for any other reason. I could go back to Limited tomorrow if I was looking for finishes that mean plaques or prizes, but that is not what I want to shoot. I understand you're not going to get much of anything shooting in Production unless you win the match, and not just the Fl Open.

But again, I dont want the new shooters to have this misguided belief or be told something other than the truth about why Production is the way it is. As Ive said for the past 3 years (since the Tn Section 3 years ago), major matches but priority on Open and Lim and to some extent, and I mean some, that's semi OK b/c they have the most amount of shooters. I feel for the guy who wins B class in Production and finished 10th overall out of 60 and gets nothing, but the guy who wins first D in Limited finished 90th out of 108 and gets something or the top C finished 43rd overall in Lim and gets something. Again, Ive won my share of plaques and such, so I really dont care, but stinks for the guy on his way up in a division other than Open and Lim. That's why I say, shoot what you like and forget there is anything at the end, do it for the fun of it.

Kevin,

Leo

I dont think there is a conspiracy and I know Frank doesnt intentionally do things like this, but this has always been the case with every match Ive ever shot, attended or heard about, except this past years Nats, and that is only b/c it was the Nats and there were only two divisions, Open and Production.

Anyone who has watched or paid attention to the Fl Open participation the past several years has seen that Production is not Revolver and bring in 5-6 shooters. But things still dont change and I dont have a problem with that, I just dont want new shooters to have this misguided belief that Production is going to be given any more merit than L10, Revolver and SS. Open and Limited are the bread winners for USPSA and that will never change. I shoot Production b/c I like it, not for any other reason. I could go back to Limited tomorrow if I was looking for finishes that mean plaques or prizes, but that is not what I want to shoot. I understand you're not going to get much of anything shooting in Production unless you win the match, and not just the Fl Open.

But again, I dont want the new shooters to have this misguided belief or be told something other than the truth about why Production is the way it is. As Ive said for the past 3 years (since the Tn Section 3 years ago), major matches but priority on Open and Lim and to some extent, and I mean some, that's semi OK b/c they have the most amount of shooters. I feel for the guy who wins B class in Production and finished 10th overall out of 60 and gets nothing, but the guy who wins first D in Limited finished 90th out of 108 and gets something or the top C finished 43rd overall in Lim and gets something. Again, Ive won my share of plaques and such, so I really dont care, but stinks for the guy on his way up in a division other than Open and Lim. That's why I say, shoot what you like and forget there is anything at the end, do it for the fun of it.

It's interesting to see/hear others talk about the lack of recognition for Production shooters...for a very long time I felt I was one of very few that felt that way.

I also question the award policy at the FL. Open and after shooting Production for 3 yrs there now, I just leave on Friday and know we ordinary guys have nothing else to look forward to in the way of awards or recognition.

The USPSA rule book states matches should recognize categories in each Division with enough shooters to qualify...Is there ever a High Senior or Super Senior Production award, a Production High Lady or Junior award? I've asked before and always get a shoulder shrug. Is the FL Open really a USPSA sanctioned match??? and following the same guidelines?

The FL Open is a GREAT match to shoot, but if the "ordinary Production shooter" (like me) wants recognition, forget it. It's a very HIGH priced match, plus another $25 for a shirt, w/no lunch included, and no division, class, or category awards.

Sometimes if you think real hard about it, adding in your travel, lodging and food costs, along with the out of the way location, the fun aspect wains some vs. the expense of things. Is there a real value there for the recreational shooter? Make it better for the non GMs...we pay most of the bills. Throw us a bone.

There are other matches that award all divisions, classes, and catergories (e.g. Production, 3rd C, or Production High Super Senior, etc)

The Rio Salado Desert Classic does that and has an outstanding prize table for each Division that shooters walk through in their order of finish in their division. It might be a good model for Frank to look at.

A good business man listens and learns.

Kevin,

I don't doubt what you are saying about all of the other matches, all that I am trying to relay is that the Open WILL recognize Production in 2008. The website and match application are being updated to reflect the changes for the 2008 match and Production was placed in the category with Open and Limited while Lim-10, Single Stack and Revolver remain at the secondary level of recognition. In the future, if Lim 10, Single Stack or Revolver can achieve and maintain significant numbers, they too can expect to be recognized as Production will soon be.

I cannot predict or control what other matches will do in the coming year(s) but this thread only pertains to the Florida Open.

Leo

Kevin,

I don't doubt what you are saying about all of the other matches, all that I am trying to relay is that the Open WILL recognize Production in 2008. The website and match application are being updated to reflect the changes for the 2008 match and Production was placed in the category with Open and Limited while Lim-10, Single Stack and Revolver remain at the secondary level of recognition. In the future, if Lim 10, Single Stack or Revolver can achieve and maintain significant numbers, they too can expect to be recognized as Production will soon be.

I cannot predict or control what other matches will do in the coming year(s) but this thread only pertains to the Florida Open.

Leo

It's interesting to see/hear others talk about the lack of recognition for Production shooters...for a very long time I felt I was one of very few that felt that way.

I also question the award policy at the FL. Open and after shooting Production for 3 yrs there now, I just leave on Friday and know we ordinary guys have nothing else to look forward to in the way of awards or recognition.

The USPSA rule book states matches should recognize categories in each Division with enough shooters to qualify...Is there ever a High Senior or Super Senior Production award, a Production High Lady or Junior award? I've asked before and always get a shoulder shrug. Is the FL Open really a USPSA sanctioned match??? and following the same guidelines?

The FL Open is a GREAT match to shoot, but if the "ordinary Production shooter" (like me) wants recognition, forget it. It's a very HIGH priced match, plus another $25 for a shirt, w/no lunch included, and no division, class, or category awards.

Sometimes if you think real hard about it, adding in your travel, lodging and food costs, along with the out of the way location, the fun aspect wains some vs. the expense of things. Is there a real value there for the recreational shooter? Make it better for the non GMs...we pay most of the bills. Throw us a bone.

There are other matches that award all divisions, classes, and catergories (e.g. Production, 3rd C, or Production High Super Senior, etc)

The Rio Salado Desert Classic does that and has an outstanding prize table for each Division that shooters walk through in their order of finish in their division. It might be a good model for Frank to look at.

A good business man listens and learns.

Well even though I had a totally good time and shot like @#$%, I did not think that this FL OPEN was worth a $200 entry fee. No shirt, bad food was on the bad side but great stages and lots of shooters is the good side. This is the first match that I have seen where everyone gets to the prize table in one big group. I think there is room for improvement on a few levels. But that is only MY opinion.

I have attended a few other matches for half the money which included your shirt, and lunch was on the house. The cash payback is a bonus though. Can't deny that good ole greenbacks do make it more interesting--especially if you are able to make the money.

I tend to agree with the comments of novafla. Granted, I am new at this sport, but I have been shooting with seasoned veterans who have experienced their share of matches. I too thought that the $225 match fee was steep, however, the work put in by the people at the match was exceptional, so it offset some of my annoyances (sp).

The food was not that bad... have you been to NC and had pink hot dogs, I'll take chicken salad and soup for $7 over that any day. The match was really located in a remote location, so there were not many options for food.

I am only upset in the fact that someone in limited Unclassified can obtain a trophy for third place, place lower than someone in Production Unclassified, and receive a cash payout (even though I know it may not be much of a payout). How is that rewarding someone for their acheivement? In my mind the guy in production unclassified with the higher score should be rewarded.

I realize that it is all politics, and maybe it should have been explained better at the match during the awards ceremony.

I also took offense in the fact that the match director stated that anyone who did not win an award would be able to walk the prize table (in my mind, this meant people who did win awards and cash payouts would be excluded from the prize table). Which I thought was great. However, I guess I was wrong, because as I lined up to get my bag from the prize table, people who had won trophies and cash payouts, fought me feverishly to get into the area for the prize table before me. That seemed a bit greedy to me, but this of course is just MY opinion.

When I signed up for the match, I remember the application stated that the prize table would be for Production and Limited 10 and Revolver, not for everyone, but again, I could be wrong. Speaking with other shooters the night of the awards, they were under that impression as well.

I hope that there are changes to the match, because I really had a fun time (minus the cold weather) and certainly learned a lot.

Well, first of all Frank is way to busy to have some sort of conspiracy against production or anything else. With as much time training over in the sandbox as he has done in the last several years, I seriously doubt that he has time to deal with that crap in anyway.

Nice job again with some very interesting stages that made me think heavily and argue many times with Dave S. about how to do them. That was a hell of a good time trying to figure out what to do! Not very often do matches have that complexity. It is the ONLY match that has that level of complexity with no no-shoots or hardcover. Fascinating how much of a pain in the ass the stages were without those items!

Thanks again for 10 very interesting stages. Thanks also to the 4H for some good food. Nice change compared to what kind of food happens at most ranges.

Congrats to Dave Re on his nice finish. (Next time don't have 6 misses. :-) I only had four and that match my finish! Would have been more humorous if you had had 8 for your placement.) hehehe

Wish I had gotten to shoot with you and a bunch of other guys and gals there! Btw nice pictures!

Fascinating how much of a pain in the ass the stages were without those items!

That was definitely entertaining. Setting up a lot of 15+ yard shots with nothing around them really gives you a chance to toss shots.... :wacko:

Well run, well constructed match. I will go again next year ;) A few bits of constructive criticism - it would be nice to have a couple more stages for the entry fee (its the most expensive match out there, aside from the Nationals). Instead of squadding in the "one on, one off" fashion, how about squadding like the nationals - shoot several in a block, and then the other rotation goes ??? Less sitting around, that way, and maybe it would be easier to get into a rhythm.

Thanks also to the 4H for some good food. Nice change compared to what kind of food happens at most ranges.

The ability to get a salad at the range - with nice looking greens, even - was awesome. They had a bit more selection over the weekend than they had on Friday, too.

Congrats to Dave Re on his nice finish. (Next time don't have 6 misses. :-) I only had four and that match my finish! Would have been more humorous if you had had 8 for your placement.) hehehe

:rolleyes: 6 misses was bad enough for my morale :lol:

Wish I had gotten to shoot with you and a bunch of other guys and gals there! Btw nice pictures!

Thanks, buddy ;) Next year, we'll coordinate better and get squadded up. Shooting w/ you, Dave, Brian, Chris, et all, would have been a lot of fun....

I would like to add one more idea.

If the prizes are going to be handed out at random and in general be am/fm earmuffs, why not give the shooters a prize bag when they check in. Then Friday L-10 shooters don't have to come back and wait for hours in the cold for said muffs. If you know you are not going to be recognize some shooters in any way shape or form, why make them hang around waiting???

A few bits of constructive criticism - it would be nice to have a couple more stages for the entry fee (its the most expensive match out there, aside from the Nationals).

Instead of squadding in the "one on, one off" fashion, how about squadding like the nationals - shoot several in a block, and then the other rotation goes ??? Less sitting around, that way, and maybe it would be easier to get into a rhythm.

Dave,

Those two issues have received considerable attention but we keep runing into the same problems. While shooting in the "one on, one off" fashion, instead of having the shooters wait for the RO's, you have the RO's wait for the shooters. The net result is that overall RO efficiency is reduced and you are able to accomodate fewer shooters within the same timeframe. The way it is now, the RO's have a constant flow of shooters with almost no downtime. That is the most efficient use of the RO's time although it is a little more inconvenient for the shooters.

With the common 350 shooters that attend the match, we basically have 3 full days of shooting with the existing 10 stages (plus chrono), adding 2 more stages would stretch the existing squad/RO schedule to inhumane levels without even considering the reduced efficiency of the "one on, one off" schedule. Without adding another day (not likely) the match is about maxed out from a time stand point. If anyone can come up with solutions to these problems, I will be more than glad to pass them along.

Leo

While shooting in the "one on, one off" fashion, instead of having the shooters wait for the RO's, you have the RO's wait for the shooters. The net result is that overall RO efficiency is reduced and you are able to accomodate fewer shooters within the same timeframe. The way it is now, the RO's have a constant flow of shooters with almost no downtime. That is the most efficient use of the RO's time although it is a little more inconvenient for the shooters.

I think you meant this the other way around???

This doesn't make sense to me, though - you schedule the match such that each squad is allocated a certain amount of time on each stage. That time is generally based on the number of shooters in each squad. That wasn't any different in the "one on, one off" arrangement.The only difference was which squad showed up where.

Perhaps you're saying that having a squad waiting on the stage meant no downtime if a squad finishes a stage early and moves on? That allows the shooting to continue at a certain pace, I suppose. There's another trade off, though - the ROs never get a break to rest for a few moments between squads. Some may prefer that, some may not - I know that the folks on Stage 10 (the Clarks) didn't get much of a lunch on Sunday, due to running shooters in this fashion.

The key is that the stages all need to have a reasonable clearing time - stage 10 was a bit of a bottleneck, this time, but the match seemed to flow pretty well. I'd say that this isn't a huge problem for y'all. Running with the same sized squads, using the same squad schedule that was in our shooting packet, there shouldn't be any reason why half-day squad schedules would work any worse - the difference would be giving the ROs a break, and hustling the shooters around, instead of the other way around.

If anyone can come up with solutions to these problems, I will be more than glad to pass them along.

The solution, here, is keep number of shooters the same, cut the size of the squads down a bit (to speed up clearing times), and add in a couple of stages. Ultimately, there's a balance between number of shooters on a squad, and the number of stages you can fit in a match. At the SCC last year, we shot in a half-day format on Sunday - 8 shooter squads shot 8 stages in 4 hours. That's a similar pace to what you're running at the FL Open.

Seems like A6 handles a similar number of shooters in 3 days - perhaps their folks could give you some ideas on how to handle it with a different squad schedule?

Just ideas, anyway... :) I'm certainly not a high power match admin or something, so... :)

I have NO dog in this discussion, but I would like to point out that this is a match that takes place in the month of February, meaning, the daylight is is a bit shorter. I do agree with XRe's idea of scheduling. I think I will just keep shooting the Friday/one day format :D Things moved fast and we only waited on one stage, otherwise, when we walked over to the next stage, the RO's were ready for the walk-thru

Friday it is for me!!!

I have only been shooting for less than a year and this was my first Major match. All I can say is that it was the most well oiled match I have shot and I had too much fun. I thought everything was great (except the weather and I am from Minnesota :blink: ). Finished 68th in Open which I was really pleased with. Can't wait until next year.

Thanks to everyone who helped put on this match. It truley was a great time.

Matt Pitel

FY56131