Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Case Feeder

My casefeeder (the mechanism that feeds the case into the shell plate) hangs up occasionally and tends to feed the case into the shell plate at a canted angle so the shell plate advances with the mis aligned case into the sizing die and SNAP goes the decapping pin on the side of the case. This continues to happen. I am using the U-die from EGW in .40. The only advice I could find, doing a search, was that I need to cut down the spring in the feeder as it can bind. Want to know if there is something else that is causal rather than start cutting springs. I noticed that the spring does bind a little, but the anti-binding post is supposed to take care of that. Everthing has been lubed etc. and the shell plate is tightened as advised in the manual. The die is also aligned in the down position on a case for adjustment.

Since you say it does this "occasionally", it makes me wonder if one location on your shellplate might be bad. Check to see if one station on the shellplate has a bent lip on one side or the other. That might account for why the brass is getting in there at an angle.

HTH

I had a similar problem with my Super 1050 loading 9x21. I played the shell plate adjustment and it cured it. In my case, just a little tighter.

Of course, when in doubt,

CALL DILLON

Edited by 9x21

I have the same issue loading supercomp. It happens very intermittently though probably averaging once or twice /K loaded.

I've always chalked it up to the powder sling getting in between the shellplate and the rim. Whenever I get anything from Dillon, I order a couple of the ten packs of the pins and call it good.

I had the same issue with 223 when I switched the press over from 40 S&W.

The shell plate wasn't tightened correctly. Sorry, I don't remember if it wa stoo tight or too loose.

Put a case in one of the stations and see just how loose it is. If it feels too loose, tighten it up. If it feels snug, loosen it.

Push down on the edge of the shellplate at the bullet seating station. If it feels springy, then the shellplate is too loose. Next, remove the bolt that goes through a roller and into the right side of the case feed plunger. Roll this bolt and see if it is bent. If bent, it can spasmodically rasie or lower the plunger, causing case insertion problems. Be sure bothe the bolt and interior & exterior of the roller are well greased. Good idea to lightly grease the underside of the shellplate lock ring, where it contacts the top of the shellplate. :ph34r:

Thanks guys. I pushed the shellplate and there was a slight, hardly noticeable, "click". I tightened the shell plate so the click was gone, made sure it cycled smooth and bingo, everthing feeds fine.

I appreciate the help.

• 9 months later...

I am not sure if this is the right thread, but I wanted to add my 2 cents on an improvement I may in getting cases to consistently feed in to the shell plate.

I did everything on this thread as suggested and achieved some minor improvement. I was watching the cases being feed into the case plate and noticed they seemed to be catching right at the corner of the receiving part of the case plate(this is a 40 case plate). I took the case plate and rounded off the edges of the receiving part of the caseplate from the sharp corner as it comes from the factory and now it work flawlessly. Said another way I put a bevel on the part of the case plate where the brass slide into the case plate.

post-108-1195312583.jpg

I hope this helps as I have really benefited from the posting on this thread.

Edited by ap3

• 2 years later...

I would pull the shellplate up and check the detent ball/spring. It may have a bunch of powder and gunk in it, and not pop up well. Usually when this happens the case is not getting fed into the shellplate due to media stuck in the recesses on the shellplate. I would clean them all out and see what happens.

Good luck,

DougC

I spoke with Dillon again they had me pull the press apart again. He had me recheck the shell plate. I put it on the cast iron table saw deck and guess what. It is bent a little. $68.00 and a new one is on the way. I wish I would have seen it the first time.

How would you bend a shellplate? I damaged a position on once. A bent decaping pin crunched the edge of the lip. Had to buy a new shell plate for that. But a bent shell plate? That's hard to imagine being your fault.

[/quote

I must have had it stuck between positions and the swage punch warped the shell plate a little. I think most of the problem is that the punch made contact close to the edge twisting the lip the case sits on. It made one side a little high. I ground it down a little and it works good enough to use till the new one gets here.

For some reason Winchester (9mm is what I load on the 1050) brass likes to hang up like that. I have to watch station 2 as it's being fed to make sure the case is right and proper. No biggie as it only happens once in a while. If I crush one, I just toss in the scrap bucket and go on with life.

I spoke with Dillon again they had me pull the press apart again. He had me recheck the shell plate. I put it on the cast iron table saw deck and guess what. It is bent a little. $68.00 and a new one is on the way. I wish I would have seen it the first time.

Is that not something that is covered under the no BS warranty?

I'm not trying to cause any trouble I'm new to Blue and just wondering.

ST

:)

I must have had it stuck between positions and the swage punch warped the shell plate a little

I don’t see how this could happen. The shell plate on the 1050 is located by two dowels that have to pass through the shell plate before the swage rod can be engaged.

My casefeeder (the mechanism that feeds the case into the shell plate) hangs up occasionally and tends to feed the case into the shell plate at a canted angle so the shell plate advances with the mis aligned case into the sizing die and SNAP goes the decapping pin on the side of the case. This continues to happen. I am using the U-die from EGW in .40. The only advice I could find, doing a search, was that I need to cut down the spring in the feeder as it can bind. Want to know if there is something else that is causal rather than start cutting springs. I noticed that the spring does bind a little, but the anti-binding post is supposed to take care of that. Everthing has been lubed etc. and the shell plate is tightened as advised in the manual. The die is also aligned in the down position on a case for adjustment.

Hi Putty:

I would not cut the case transfer spring and the binding is not the problem.

In my opinion the supplied spring does not provide suficient tension to insert eh brass into the shell plate properly if the plate inserts are not smooth or if the shell plate does not line up perfectly to accept the next inserted piece of brass.

Rather I would replace the supplied spring with an equal lenght spring cut from a 7# or 8# Government lenght recoil spring.

The extra spring pressure will aid in seating the cases into the shell plate without them spinning out.

However, you will have to pay attention to the cam and lub it regularly - it may wear more but it is a $7.00 part which is a small price to pay for not breaking de-priming pins, etc.

Grandpoobah in Scottsdale