Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wow Pressure Is On Since I Got The M Card!

since i hit 85.98% and really work hard last year.(shot 26 classifiers) i got my Master card in open, the last 2 weeks..pressure was on to me soo much that I shot poorly. now i wish i should have stayed in high A class. and take my skills naturally and not to push myself too hard. I feel so ashamed and really feel down everytime i shoot...I crashed and shot 68% and 71% in the last 2 weeks? Im even thinkin of quiting shooting for a while since this happened. it really sucks. any thoughts or words of suggestions would be appreciated!!

Benos gave me something to think about! thanks Brian, but he suggest to get more feedback from you guys..

When I first started USPSA I treated classifiers like a huge postal match and I busted my ass to develop some pretty decent "clasifier skills", static shooting, reloads, the draw... In retrospect, what a waste of time. Six years or more of ego stroking only to reach a point where I can physically no longer maintain status quo. The card in your wallet doesn't mean squat when the buzzer goes off.

Couldnt have said it better myself, Ron. :)

Ed,

You are a great shooter, don't quit! But let's look at what you have done. You shot 26 classifiers last year. You were able to blow 76.9% of them and still get >85% ! Now that would work for classifiers but not real well for matches! I think you need to get things evened out a bit.

See ya at Norco Saturday...

"Pressure is what you feel when you don't know what you're doing." - Chuck Knoll (Coach of 4-Super Bowl winning NFL Teams)

I heard this the other day and it's perfectly appropriate for our sport. If we prepare and just do what we're capable of doing, everything else is unimportant. Relax, shoot your game and the speed/skill that got you to 85% will come out and mature.

Rich

we all fall into that trap..

you attained a milemarker..once you hit that milemarker..you set up expectations..and once you do that..

you're toast...

we shoot our best when we don't have expectations..we shoot for the moment..

that's how you got that M card..when you go to the match and you're up in the start line..

get rid of the expectations..

Been there...done that....asked similar questions:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...opic=16931&

The long and short of it.....initially you feel like you're going backwards....then the newness wears off and you go back to what you were doing before....and you start kicking butt all over again.

This is normal...happens to everyone.

Goal: Mcard--------->you achieved that goal

Now you need to become a consistent "M" class shooter. You don't try to shoot GM scores or even M scores. You just shoot. Once I got my M card I quit practicing classifier stuff, I would only work on field course type stuff. Movements in and out of positions, shooting on the move, course breakdown. Instead of keeping up with the top guys in my area on only the classifiers stages I started moving up in places near the top in the overall.

Make sure your fundementals are solid, continue to work on them. Start working on things that will shave time of your field courses. I went to over 10 majors last yr and classifiers hardly meant squat when it came to overall match performance. Don't get me wrong but in a 1100pt match every point counts but quite a few had only 1 classifier at 60pts and some didn't have any classifiers. I'm more worried about overall score now then what class I'm in.

When the shooting day is over its your overall performance that matters. If your an M shooting 70% that just means you had a bad day. It doesn't mean you not an M class shooter, it just means you didn't perform at your level that particular day.

Moving to M wasn't that bad, once I hit M is when the work really started. If you go to a big match and your not a consistent M class shooter you get left in the dust. The higher the level of shooting the more your mistakes will cost you because the guys towards the top are more refined. They had worked through what your working on now and figured out how to get past it and don't make alot of mistakes.

Get the class thing out of your head, its all about overall. You want to be consistent with your entire game......short, medium and long field courses.

Sit back, take a deep breath and ask yourself " What do I want, to win the classifier stages or win the Overall" Then get your butt back up and get to work........... ;)

I know your pain, I'm trying to become a consistent "shooter"(notice no class mentioned). I want to walk away from a match with no mistakes(no shoots, mikes and now D's are added to the list) I have a ton of work to do but its all fun.

Have fun

Flyin40

This is a problem I have not yet had to face. I'm C-class, and I've been ecstatic with the 71% and 61% I've shot in the last two local matches.

I can tell you that most of the other shooters are so concerned at their own performance that they don't care how other shooters finish. Unless they have to ride home with the other shooter. One exception is if a C shooter would ever beat an M, that shooter MIGHT notice. The fact is that everyone crashes and burns sometimes in this sport.

Worry about your game and don't worry what anyone thinks.

I would only work on field course type stuff. Movements in and out of positions, shooting on the move, course breakdown.

That's exactly what I have been doing the last couple of years and I think it's some really good advice. Unless there is something that will physically prevent you from improving (a disease, injury, severe vision problems, etc.), if you still have the desire and get your head in the right place, your performance will improve. It's all about mental management and the allocation of required resources.

As for getting whooped up on by other shooters. There is a huge difference between a taste of humility and be demoralized. ;)