Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seniors/super Seniors- Speak Up Now For Equal Recognition

BSmith

Seniors and Super Seniors,

As one of, it not the largest, dues paying groups in USPSA/IPSC it's time to ask for equal recognition. Below is a request to the USPSA leadership for USPSA recognised self funded Seniors and Super Seniors teams to the World Shoot.

If you support this endeavor please let the USPSA BOD and Leadership know, thier email addresses follows the letter. Best regards, Brian Smith

Subject: USPSA recognition of Seniors and Super Seniors for the World Shoot

As an active USPSA competitor, member, and match sponsor, I ask for your support of official USPSA recognition of a self funded effort to win the World Shoot awards for Senior and Super Senior.

IPSC does in fact award world championship awards to Senior and Super Senior, so how about a USPSA recognition of a team of Seniors and Super Seniors who are striving to win these individual honors?

If this group pays it's own way, how much of a "burden" could it be to USPSA?

Baby boomers are the most active, affluent group to hit senior status and are totally redefining the concept of "being old." We're going down kicking and screaming and living a life no one envisioned 20 years ago.

If USPSA wants to attract this demographic market as shooters, officials, sponsors, and active dues paying members maybe a little recognition of their ambitions and accomplishments would help in that endeavor. And in fact, Seniors and Super Seniors are, if not the largest group of USPSA members, certainly larger than other special interest categories.

The Seniors tour doesn't seem to have hurt the golfing world any, in fact it has become a huge profit center for the sport.

Let's all admit that we aren't competing for the money (except for a handful of professional shooters). We shoot for the feeling of self accomplishment and a few seconds of recognition by others that we are good at we we set out to achieve.

USPSA loves to showcase champions-to have the best mens, womens, and junior shooters in the world. So just add the best Senior and Super Seniors in the world to the list. Where's the down side to the sport and USPSA?

There is huge recognition difference in going as a "private citizen shooter" vs earning a spot on the USPSA team. And in fact the Senior World Champion may be a private citizen shooter.

But every coach, leader, and motivator will agree that the simple (and inexpensive) act of recognition is a huge motivator and reward in itself. Just being able to say "I made the US Team" is an honor in and of itself.

And that's what I'm asking the USPSA leadership to do. Simply give some Seniors and Super Seniors a little more motivation and incentive and inexpensive reward -earning a spot on the USPSA team to compete at the world shoot for the World Championship at their own expense.

Just the simple dignity and respect afforded Juniors, Ladies, and the Super studs.

To not do so is at best unfair and at worst discriminatory.

Best regards, Brian Smith fy25058

Brian L. Smith

Smith.Sholar.Associates.PLLC., Attorneys

1164 Nashville Pike

Gallatin, TN 37066

615-452-5282

615-451-1033 fax

bsmith@smithsholar.com

www.smithsholar.com

USPSA leadership and BOD email addresses are: : Office@uspsa.org; area1@uspsa.org; area2@uspsa.org; area3@uspsa.org; area4@uspsa.org; area5@uspsa.org; area6@uspsa.org; area7@uspsa.org; area8@uspsa.org; president@uspsa.org;

Seniors and Super Seniors,

As one of, it not the largest, dues paying groups in USPSA/IPSC it's time to ask for equal recognition. Below is a request to the USPSA leadership for USPSA recognised self funded Seniors and Super Seniors teams to the World Shoot.

If you support this endeavor please let the USPSA BOD and Leadership know, thier email addresses follows the letter. Best regards, Brian Smith

Subject: USPSA recognition of Seniors and Super Seniors for the World Shoot

As an active USPSA competitor, member, and match sponsor, I ask for your support of official USPSA recognition of a self funded effort to win the World Shoot awards for Senior and Super Senior.

IPSC does in fact award world championship awards to Senior and Super Senior, so how about a USPSA recognition of a team of Seniors and Super Seniors who are striving to win these individual honors?

If this group pays it's own way, how much of a "burden" could it be to USPSA?

Baby boomers are the most active, affluent group to hit senior status and are totally redefining the concept of "being old." We're going down kicking and screaming and living a life no one envisioned 20 years ago.

If USPSA wants to attract this demographic market as shooters, officials, sponsors, and active dues paying members maybe a little recognition of their ambitions and accomplishments would help in that endeavor. And in fact, Seniors and Super Seniors are, if not the largest group of USPSA members, certainly larger than other special interest categories.

The Seniors tour doesn't seem to have hurt the golfing world any, in fact it has become a huge profit center for the sport.

Let's all admit that we aren't competing for the money (except for a handful of professional shooters). We shoot for the feeling of self accomplishment and a few seconds of recognition by others that we are good at we we set out to achieve.

USPSA loves to showcase champions-to have the best mens, womens, and junior shooters in the world. So just add the best Senior and Super Seniors in the world to the list. Where's the down side to the sport and USPSA?

There is huge recognition difference in going as a "private citizen shooter" vs earning a spot on the USPSA team. And in fact the Senior World Champion may be a private citizen shooter.

But every coach, leader, and motivator will agree that the simple (and inexpensive) act of recognition is a huge motivator and reward in itself. Just being able to say "I made the US Team" is an honor in and of itself.

And that's what I'm asking the USPSA leadership to do. Simply give some Seniors and Super Seniors a little more motivation and incentive and inexpensive reward -earning a spot on the USPSA team to compete at the world shoot for the World Championship at their own expense.

Just the simple dignity and respect afforded Juniors, Ladies, and the Super studs.

To not do so is at best unfair and at worst discriminatory.

Best regards, Brian Smith fy25058

Brian L. Smith

Smith.Sholar.Associates.PLLC., Attorneys

1164 Nashville Pike

Gallatin, TN 37066

615-452-5282

615-451-1033 fax

bsmith@smithsholar.com

www.smithsholar.com

USPSA leadership and BOD email addresses are: : Office@uspsa.org; area1@uspsa.org; area2@uspsa.org; area3@uspsa.org; area4@uspsa.org; area5@uspsa.org; area6@uspsa.org; area7@uspsa.org; area8@uspsa.org; president@uspsa.org;

I like it....count me in. It is time my age counted for something other than a discount at the movies... ;)

I agree 100 %. I came from a skeet and sporting clays background. Both sports award seniors and super seniors the same prizes in order of finish as the regular shooters. It is time to recognise us at all shoot levels especially the Nationals and World Shoot. I am not good enough to make it, but those that are should be supported.

<_< Me too count me in .... :huh: now what are we talking about I, ah, forgot.

I think we should push for any one under 49 being refured to as -Younguns-

B)

Whew, just made it. I'd hate to be called a "youngun" :ph34r: And Juniors shall hence forth be referred to as "young whipper snappers" :D

AMEN...BRAVO...A BIG HURRAH...

I applaud Brian Smith fy25058 for these comments and the cause. I also have tried to advocate for Senior/Super Senior recognition, appreciation, and the potential this group of shooters has to both promote and contribute to our sport (see my letter in the Fall edition of Front Sight magazine).

We support our local, sectional and national organizations, self pay for our particpation, are eager to compete and we give much back to the sport. All we would appreciate is some consistent recognition at all matches as per our categories, and the opportunity to expand our participation.

Come on USPSA, open your eyes and look at this membership group as the valuable culture we are. Win us over, gives us some increased opportunities and let us play more.

Yes, a Senior/Super team is called for. Let's rally the troops here folks, voice your support, and come on "old guys", we are telling them how important we are...Stand Up and be counted. Get on board here.

Even if this particular issue is not your cause... speak up, let's have the Senior/Super Senior shooter be heard from.

James Martin, Ph.D

Super Senior

TY 48324

I may be mistaken, but my review of the proposed 2008 rules did not find any mention of team categories. It appears that, rather than recognizing us seniors and super seniors, the powers that be have decided to do away with team categories alltogether . . . or am I reading the rules incorrectly?

Lee

Age 58

I'm with Merlin on this one! Special recognition because 1) we failed to die and 2) we shot crappier than other guys ? Not needed. This is beginning to sound like the Special Olympics.

Later,

Chuck (6th year as a senior)

Edited by ChuckS

I think any four shooters ought to be able to put together a team and call it whatever they want. I also think USPSA should do some coordinating of those teams, especially ones made of recognized categories. I don't really want to sit through the awards ceremony though.

I was a Senior but I hear they are taking it away from us 51 years old guys and making us wait a couple more years. I'll jump on this bandwagon then.....

Mick, the age for senior at the world shoot -IPSC is 50, for some unknown reason USPSA is moving to 55. So you have 2 chances to shoot Senior on a USPSA seniors team at the World Shoot before you make Sr. in USPSA ( depending on your current age). Best regards, Brian Smith

I think any four shooters ought to be able to put together a team and call it whatever they want. I also think USPSA should do some coordinating of those teams, especially ones made of recognized categories. I don't really want to sit through the awards ceremony though.

I agree, USPSA should be serving ALL of its members. Best regards, Brian Smith

All right - I won't be a senior anymore, for a while. Change it to 70 for all I care. And getting special recognition for not dieing yet? Unless it involves me getting lots of money or free bullets, you can keep the SRC.

I was a Senior but I hear they are taking it away from us 51 years old guys and making us wait a couple more years. I'll jump on this bandwagon then.....

Mick, the age for senior at the world shoot -IPSC is 50, for some unknown reason USPSA is moving to 55. So you have 2 chances to shoot Senior on a USPSA seniors team at the World Shoot before you make Sr. in USPSA ( depending on your current age). Best regards, Brian Smith

I agree, USPSA should be serving ALL of its members. Best regards, Brian Smith

?55! realy? <_< 55 not 50 ?

I feal much younger now ... <_< Ok not as old thin

B)

At 51 I still feel old...

I'm young enough to remember how 40 felt......sigh

If I could be one age forever it would be 40!

I was young enough to still be physical....

I was old enough to be half way smart....

and I had worked long enough to be making some decent money.....

AND I DIDN"T HAVE TO WEAR THESE STINKING GLASSES TO WRITE THIS!!!

At 51 I still feel old...

I'm young enough to remember how 40 felt......sigh

If I could be one age forever it would be 40!

I was young enough to still be physical....

I was old enough to be half way smart....

and I had worked long enough to be making some decent money.....

AND I DIDN"T HAVE TO WEAR THESE STINKING GLASSES TO WRITE THIS!!!

COME ON GUYS...LET'S BE SERIOUS HERE.

If you want the BOD to take us seriously, let's try and be articulate and show them we are very specifically looking for them to respond to our concerns. :angry:

I think 1940 was a pretty good year except I missed the 4th of July. Hadn't had a war in over 20 years and back to being able to find things to buy. And that 40 Ford was a looker, my Dad sold it in 46 for twice what he paid for it originally.