Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's The Proper Way To Shoot The Texas Star

AzoneHits

Thanks to all the replied. Your input was highly appreciated. I will start shooting from the top this time.

There's no question that top-down is the way to go, although there is some argument about whether to transition plates in the middle, or lock onto a side and let the plates come to you. I think distance dictates that for me, if the star is much farther than 10 yards, I can't transition fast enough, so I just lock on at 3 o'clock and let the plates come up.

H.

Thanks to all the replied. Your input was highly appreciated. I will start shooting from the top this time.

But I don't think that will help you at Double Tap Don. The "spyder monkey" stage has two Texas Stars rotating in opposite directions. How will you shoot something like that? :)

Bill

But I don't think that will help you at Double Tap Don. The "spyder monkey" stage has two Texas Stars rotating in opposite directions. How will you shoot something like that? :)

Bill

The thread that ihatepickles provided a link to contains a link to a video on youtube that has a two star set up from the Oklahoma Sectional that seems quite similar to the one that will be at the Double Tap. The only problem is that the video quality is terrible. Be prepare to squint.

p.s. two stars in line, three or four... it doesn't matter. When possible shoot plates off the top first.

<_< Fast helps too

<_< Ok I guess this sounds smart A**s = But if you start at the top is best and have a plan on what target you are going to look at next. On a moving target -The Harder you Look at it - the less it will apear to move.

Waiting on a target to reach the top or some spot, when the target is moving -Seams Very Silly to me.

But I may not know nothing

B)

Edited by AlamoShooter

<_< Fast helps too

<_< Ok I guess this sounds smart A**s = But if you start at the top is best and have a plan on what target you are going to look at next. On a moving target -The Harder you Look at it - the less it will apear to move.

Waiting on a target to reach the top or some spot, when the target is moving -Seams Very Silly to me.

But I may not know nothing

B)

The theory is this: you shoot the top plate, the star doesn't move. You then shoot either the 10 or 2 o'clock plate, and the star starts to move, in an upward direction on the side you shot. You now have a choice: do a very fast transition and hit the other plate, which will "stop" the star, or time the plates as they rise into the 10 or 2 position. This will be close to the top of the arc, and they are moving fairly slowly once they get there. As you hit plates, the balance keeps shifting to keep them rising.

I choose the "wait for the plates" method, because if you miss the transition plate, you've got a fully-moving star that is reversing direction by the next shot, which is a heck of a lot harder to hit. If I shoot the star "clean" by this method, it takes 3-4 seconds, I think.

In the final analysis, you need to go out and shoot a star a few times to see what works for you.

H.

• 1 month later...

here is the most evil star I have seen

This was demonstrated at the Nationals in Tulsa

This is the best star on the market and it is not prone to malfunction. The plates can be shot even with a 22.

I understand they even have 3" plates which were made for the Military.

http://www.securefirearmproducts.com/sfp_d...P/ts1681_2.html

This is the best star on the market and it is not prone to malfunction. The plates can be shot even with a 22.

EVIL!! I like it... :ph34r:

That is extremely evil! Oh my, I'd bet that'll be at a nationals near you this year.....

There's no question that top-down is the way to go, although there is some argument about whether to transition plates in the middle, or lock onto a side and let the plates come to you. I think distance dictates that for me, if the star is much farther than 10 yards, I can't transition fast enough, so I just lock on at 3 o'clock and let the plates come up.

Great, concise explanation.

Our local club set up the Double Tap Star stage, and if they got it right, it should be lots of fun. Two stars, each with an extra plate on one side near the top, and each with a stick to keep it from spinning. Open the door, the sticks are pulled out, and the extra plate starts the stars spinning then drop off. One spins each direction.

Scott Stockton from Dallas cleaned this stage with no missed plates, by shooting at each plate as it appeared around 10 o'clock on the clockwise-spinning one, and 2 o'clock on the counterclockwise one. He had two or three plates dropping from one of them before it really started to spin.

http://www.doubletapranch.com/Results%20an...ndex-DTC07.html

I'll chime in too. Top down, but if you shoot with confidence you may miss one and shoot the next and the thing goes a little weird. If I do my part it goes quickly, sometimes it gets funky. I think alot of it comes down to timing, and anticipating the shot. Some people are good and some are not. You could fix it with practice but some just hate stars. I have watched some decent shooters just totally go bonkers knowing they have to shoot one. I shot the double star at Area 6 last year (13 shots in all) in just 12.88 sec....my best stage. All the top shooters were fast but some had trouble...I was only 1 sec back from a well known GM. I still believe it comes down to, If you believe you can you will! Most of the time :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

That double tap star was fun! I did the stage in 13.something, a pretty good time. I also experienced my first completely unconscious shot; after I fired the first star shot and hit a plate on top, I heard two rings, and realized that I had somehow fired and hit another plate without being aware of it. I think I missed two times on the stars, and managed to finish them both with a single 10-round magazine. (two plates were hard cover, not necessary to shoot)

The hardest thing about that stage was the puny door that would blow shut unless you jammed a foot in it. I had to open it twice, unfortunately.

H.

I had the same question, I knew that there was going to be a star at my next shoot, so I looked on here and decided to shoot it from top down.

Top down worked great for me. This was my 2nd shoot at a uspsa match, I am just getting started, and it was my 5 stage all together. I am happy to say that I got them all and I finished the stage at 98.01% in my class(L-10) to a Master, not sure if I shot it that good or if he had a bad stage.

Needless to say I was really happy. So to answer your question for me the best way was shoot the top then shoot the top right and wait for the next one to come to the same spot. The last two were at the bottom.

Rick

I had the same question,

Needless to say I was really happy. So to answer your question for me the best way was shoot the top then shoot the top right and wait for the next one to come to the same spot. The last two were at the bottom.

Rick

Congrats Rick don't sell your self short by "waiting for the next one" let your eyes go to the target and lock on with your eyes, as you learn on more on movers you will not see them moving much any more. = look for the target as compared to looking at the movment. ;)

Its the cool thing about shooting to me - seeing things that are fast seem not to move at all. You can see and do alot if you don't limit your self to time

JF B)

I had the same question, I knew that there was going to be a star at my next shoot, so I looked on here and decided to shoot it from top down.

Top down worked great for me. This was my 2nd shoot at a uspsa match, I am just getting started, and it was my 5 stage all together. I am happy to say that I got them all and I finished the stage at 98.01% in my class(L-10) to a Master, not sure if I shot it that good or if he had a bad stage.

Rick

You should know that classifiers (which is how to get ranked as a Master) are a lot different than field courses or moving targets like the star. There are a lot of Masters that are beaten by Bs and Cs on full matches.

As mentioned, shoot the star as fast as you can break quality shots; as I've improved, I've migrated from locking on at 2:30, to slowly (controlled!) easing the gun down to meet the plates as soon as I can regain my sight picture. Right now, that means I shoot it

2:00

3:15

4:30

5:30

or thereabouts, with no misses.

H.