Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What .22lr Ammo Are You Shooting?

Federal American Eagle 40 grain High Velocity bought in bulk for consumption by my 22/45, used mainly for doing IPSC drills on the cheap. Always goes bang, but occasionally is underpowered and won't cycle the stock springed bolt.

Remington 36 grain Golden Bullet bought in bulk for similar use (production) in my Glock AA conversion. More consistent cycling than the above, but, in the two lots I bought, about one in a hundred is dead (no priming).

CCI MiniMags (the 40 grainers) if I want something with more reliable ignition, consistency and accuracy than the stuff above. I haven't shot steel yet, but that's what I got the MiniMags for.

Ely Standard Pistol 40 grainers when I try to get serious about accuracy.

Happy New Year back atcha...

:)

Edited by kevin c

I like the 550 packs of Federal at Walmart for $9. I haven't had any luck at all with Remington or Winchester bulk packs. I get too many mis-fires with Rem. and the Win stuff won't feed in either pistol. The cheap Federals have been nearly perfect for me.

The same Federal ammo for me. It works well in all my .22 pistols and rifles.

I have the same problem with the Remington and Winchester, A lot of dead rounds and does not feed well.

Good Luck !

I'm another one using the 550 packs of Federal at Walmart for $9.

My Ruger 22/45 has no problem with them nor does my Dan Wesson. I'm sure their are more accurate rounds out there, but I have no complaints for the cheap Federal stuff so far.

Am using Federal Champion Value Pack (525 ct., loose pack) for about $10 at Bi-Mart (Northwestern chain dept store) and the expensive stuff for matches--Federal Gold Medal Match (boxes of 50, cases of 500). The price of the Gold Medal stuff went way up earlier this year, so I don't use it nearly as much any more. But the Champion is--for the money--really nice quality and reliable in the Ruger Mark II...

I gave the Federal 550 pack another chance, I have shot over 2K this last two weeks and have not had any dead rounds. The last Remington gold bullet box had so many dead rounds that I gave away the half empty box, and the Wins were the same.

For matches that mean something CCI Mini mags or blazer rounds..........

DougC

My youngest daughter finished up her NRA Jr Distinguished Expert shooting Federal Auto Match. She was shooting tiny little groups with it standing, kneeling and prone. We had tried Fed Gold Match and two different types of the Wolf match ammo. The Auto Match beat all of them and at a much lower price. YMMV but I just bought four more bricks of Auto Match.

-ld

Federal Auto Match from WW is the best .22lr ammo I have ever used. It feeds reliably in every gun we have tried it in and is very accurate. People I know with guns having problems have tried this stuff and thier problems went away, I cannot recomend it enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody try the Federal Auto Match in their Advantage Arms Glock conversions? AA says Federal 22LR rounds generally don't feed well, and recommends Remington Golden Bullet instead. The Rem GB's are OK, but I'd be willing to pay a bit more for something that doesn't have a dud every 100 rounds, and that I can get locally for a bit less than MiniMags.

What do you use in steel matches, and just general shooting?

Btw, Happy New Year!

It depends on the gun I'm shooting. For target work, I shoot CCI Standard Velocity Long rifle bullets. I get a good price on them, they shoot where I point them, and, out of the last 4,000 rounds I purchased, I've had exactly zero misfires. I use them in my bullseye pistol and in my target rifle, both for practice and for competition.

My Kimber 1911 .22 conversion requires high velocity ammunition. For it, and for my other .22 rifles and pistols, I use Federal bulk pack ammunition. What I have at the moment, are hollow points purchased from Wallmart for about $10 per box of 550. They're less expensive than the CCIs, cycle the conversion kit fine and, so far, seem both reliable and accurate.

I don't shoot any .22 round with the word Remington on the box. Out of the last 500 or so I purchased, I got as many as 6 failures per box of 100. That's too much even for plinking. No more Remington .22s for me. On the other hand, I buy quite a few of their bulk pack center fire pistol cartriges in .45, .40 and 9mm. I seem to recall that they used to offer bulk packs of 10mm too, but it's been a while since I saw any.

Lee

I gave the Federal 550 pack another chance, I have shot over 2K this last two weeks and have not had any dead rounds. The last Remington gold bullet box had so many dead rounds that I gave away the half empty box, and the Wins were the same.

For matches that mean something CCI Mini mags or blazer rounds..........

DougC

I threw my Remingtons away. Sorry to hear the Winchesters are the same. I have a 500 count box of them too.

Lee

Anybody try the Federal Auto Match in their Advantage Arms Glock conversions? AA says Federal 22LR rounds generally don't feed well, and recommends Remington Golden Bullet instead. The Rem GB's are OK, but I'd be willing to pay a bit more for something that doesn't have a dud every 100 rounds, and that I can get locally for a bit less than MiniMags.

I have tried these in an AA kit! I like them they are very accurate and more reliable than most other bulk ammo in the Glock kits.