Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2007 Area 6 Championship

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kath,

I have a long drive that night so I won't be partaking of the elbow-bending, but Nemo and Singlestack should be able to tell you what the plans are.

The plans are all right here. AFAIK, there is no secret. B)

You're really gonna make me read 7 pages of posts? I *MAY* get through them in time for NEXT YEARS GET TOGETHER :P

I can't answer for the shooter prize table (last year I was helping tear down, so I didn't see it), but the RO tables were pretty damn good. There were four pistols given away, plus a lot more stuff.

On the serious side, if your picking your matches by what the prize tables are like, then this might be the wrong sport for you. It's not about what prize you win, it's the knowledge that you gain by watching some of the world's best shooters, actually shooting beside those shooters on some of the best laid out stages. You will meet some of the best people at some of these matches. Just my .02 opinion.

Come on out and shoot this match. You will have a great time.

I meet some of the best people at local matches. I shoot with GM's and M's on a regular basis. I consider some of them my close friends. There is much that they have shared with me about this sport and being a relatively new shooter, I appreciate that. But you questioning if I'm in the right sport because I asked about the prize table gives me cause for concern. Two of my local friends, A and C class shooters, walked away with triple digit checks from the South Carolina match and they weren't even first in their class. I was simply wondering if we can expect the same type of payback at this event. Being an Area match I would expect that we could given the fact that there were four guns just on the RO table, but I thought it polite to ask. If this means I'm in "the wrong sport" I guess I can always take up shuffleboard.

I assure you that you are not in the wrong sport.

There's nothing wrong with inquiring about a prize table and no cause for concern about the feedback you got.

It's just a reflection of the fact that some folks get a little too concerned about the prize table and they have become a source of some controversy.

The prize tables are a nice reward for a good performance, but will never become the primary motivation to compete anywhere.

No matter how good a competitor is, the cost of competing will always outweigh the value of the prizes.

Area 6 is a first class match and usually has a wide variety of generous sponsors.

Come on out and play.

I've tried shuffleboard and it's highly overrated. :P

Tls

No, I don't think it is too late for apps. PM either GA Peach or wgnoyes and let them know that you want to apply. You will have to get your stuff in quick though. As far as the airport goes, Atlanta Hartsfield is it. It is (I think) 30-40 minutes away, plenty of hotels in the area. We welcome you to the match if you can make it.

Hello Everyone,

Just to give you an update on the match, we are full for Saturday All Day, and for Saturday Afternoon/Sunday unless we have some additional dropouts. We do have some slots available for Friday All Day, and for Saturday Morning/Sunday. We are going by postmark, so send 'em in soon.

I could use a couple extra Friday ROs, but I have plenty for Saturday/Sunday. Thanks for the response!

We are having our 'Send a Junior to Camp' raffle again. Derek Janowicz of Millennium Custom is building another gun for us, so please stop by and get some tickets at the match. We have a great list of sponsors as usual!

For the shooter asking about prize tables, the Area 6 is traditionally a cash award match and we do give prizes away to the competitors through a random drawing at the match. Every match has different expenses that have to be paid before any cash can be given away, so the cash awards are based on what remains after expenses. Generally speaking, Area Championships cost more to put on than State Championships. Last year we tried to go deeper than we should have with the cash awards and we were not happy with the results. This year the cash awards go down to 3rd place and plaques will go down to 5th place, depending on the number of participants in a given class and/or division. This is all published in the match book listed at 'www.uspsa-area6.org'. We use a formula that takes the total prize fund and takes into account the number of shooters in a division and then allocates the prize fund among the divisions. For example, there may be 125 Limited shooters, but only 10 Single Stack shooters. The prize fund for Single Stack will be much smaller than the prize fund for Limited.

That's a very basic explanation, but I hope it helps.

Cindy :ph34r:

Cindy & Co --

What's the traffic like around the range in the evening? I'm shooting the match on Friday, and was thinking about driving down from Raleigh about noon on Thursday (6hrs?) but didn't want to end up in a huge traffic jam around Atlanta in rush hour, or something... In that case I'll just leave a couple hours later.

Thx

Edited by boo radley

is it too late to apply?? what airport is near by? about what time on suday does the awards

end?

The Atlanta Airport (Hartsfield International) is nearby.

You can't miss it.

It's roughly the size of Portugal.

Tls

Cindy & Co --

What's the traffic like around the range in the evening? I'm shooting the match on Friday, and was thinking about driving down from Raleigh about noon on Thursday (6hrs?) but didn't want to end up in a huge traffic jam around Atlanta in rush hour, or something... In that case I'll just leave a couple hours later.

Traffic around the range (Covington) is fine. Traffic anywhere on the interstate system around here during either rush hour (rush "hour" is about 3 hrs each) sucks, and sucks BAD! :angry:

If this means I'm in "the wrong sport" I guess I can always take up shuffleboard.

Here is some information on the FL Shuffleboard Championships..Looks PRETTY RADICAL

http://www.shuffleboardclub.org/tourinfo.htm

I looked at their prize table....do not know the % but they pay cash to 4 places!! Even in the LOOSERS Bracket!! Might be worth taking a look into ;);)

"Prizes-

Cash prizes are awarded to the winners of 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th places in both the main event and the consolation event of each division of each tournament. " :P

ALSO Shuffleboard is an OLYMPIC sport ie... Wisconsin SENIOR OLYMPICS (for down the road)

http://www.wiseniorolympics.com

Even their OWN MAGAZINE

http://www.eshuffleboard.com/newsletters.htm

Appears to be a well organized sport for the highly competitive types!!

Hope this helps, :lol::lol:

Your Bud

Webb

Edited by DrawandDuck