Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fancy Beds, Air & Tempur

I have good bed now, but I'm wondering am I missing something??? Waterbeds were ok but I'm past all the sloshing.

Tempur sounds OK it is just that any time I sleep on foam it seems really hot, like no air moved through it. Same with air beds, I've slept on the temporary spare bed blowups.

So has anybody bought one of these and did they help back or neck problems?

Thanks in Advance

My in-laws have one of those Sleep Number beds from Select Comfort and I personally don't see/feel a difference that makes them that much better than a good regular mattress/box spring combo. After what seemed like a search that wouldn't end my wife and I ended up getting normal spring mattress from The Original Mattress Factory. My lower back is a wreck; we've had the bed for about 6 months and its been great.

Hey and we saved enough vs. the other types of beds to buy a new production gun.... ;)

My wife and I can never agree on a matress. She likes really soft matresses and I prefer something firmer for my back. In years past we compromised with something in the middle and she would add a foam pad underneath her side to make it softer for her.

When we decided to buy our last bed we decided to check out the newer style beds. We ended up getting a mid/upper version of the sleep number bed. It is not a miracle bed but did give us the opportunity to make each side firmer or softer, within reason. Besides the different whiz bang controllers and displays and quieter compressor, the only difference between all of the levels of beds is the thickness of foam padding between the air matress and you. In my opinion, the thicker the padding, the more pressure I had to add to get the firmness level I wanted. I was just as happy with the base matress but my wife liked the heavily padded matress so, once again, we compromised. I AM able to get the firmness that I want without going anywhere near 100% and she sets her side to about 20% softer.

If you are considering this bed, there are some ways to save a considerable amount of money. The base or pedistal is nothing more than a hollow plastic box (that they charge a lot for). You can simply use your existing frame and box spring and place the matress on that. Any type of waterbed frame (the correct size) is likely the best combination. We did not spend a lot of money and have a bed that is far less of a compromise than what we have had to tolerate in the past. If you and your wife agree on firmness, I think that you could find more comfort, overall, in a conventional matress.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

My wife and I bought a Tempurpedic bed a couple years ago. Best bed ever! We both have back issues but this bed took care of those.

My suggestion is find a store locally with both styles and go spend some time on the mattresses. When we test drove the Temperpedic in the showroom I had the typical junk in my pockets (keys, checkbook, wallet, cellphone, etc), my .45 carry gun, etc. Laying on that mattress I could feel NONE of these in my pockets. In fact, after laying there for about 5 minutes I fell asleep! According to the sales lady this is not unusual.

We tried the air beds in the showroom but they just weren't as supportive as the foam...at least for us.

Good luck and happy sleeping!

I used to be troubled with lower back pain. It stopped the very first night I started sleeping on one of the Select Comfort air systems (approx. 6 years ago). Like you've already been told, you can save some money on the foundation. I'm not saying the Tempur's aren't as good. I just don't have any experience with them.

They'll take my SelectComfort mattress when they pry my cold dead fingers off the remote control.

We have a Select Comfort mattress, too... We ended up getting it because my wife was having a lot of issues sleeping on regular mattresses. We ended up w/ the spendy one, cause I could feel the air bladder moving around on the others - I hate water beds for exactly that same feel, too. Heck, frankly, I just wanted her to stop bitching about the bed, so... :D

I used to like really firm mattresses - I find I'm sleeping better on softer settings on this bed. And, now that I'm aware of that preference and how it translates into sleep quality for me, I can't stand sleeping on most other beds... The only other ones that come close for travel purposes are the Westin/W "Heavenly Beds"...

Never tried the Tempurpedic...

Bought a Tempur about a year and a half ago.

The wife loves it.

Me, I can't sleep on the thing. I used it for a couple of months but I was barely able to walk by then. It feels good for about an hour but then my back will go "crack" like something dislocates.

I will not sleep on the thing. It does not work for me at all. The kids don't like it either, they have the same result with their back hurting if they sleep on it.

I think this is a real BUYER BEWARE situation.

If it works for you, fine. But I think they suck beyond belief. Better to sleep on a bare floor.

I used to like really firm mattresses - I find I'm sleeping better on softer settings on this bed.

Funny that you mention this ... I initially set the bed to a much firmer setting, to duplicate the feel of my old bed, and find myself gradually softening the bed without experiencing any discomfort from my back. One night on a conventional matress this soft would leave me in bad shape the following day. The air matress seems to be doing the job from an orthopedic standpoint.

I got the tempurpedic about 4 years ago and it is some of the best $ I've ever spent. They're expensive initially but if they last anywhere as long as they're warrantied. It feels as good as the day I bought it so far.

Just got back from a couple weeks in Hawaii with the g/f. Everything was great except the bed (which was a nice, expensive king size pillow top). Neither of us could get comfortable on it during our entire stay.

A week into our vacation:

G/F: 'Can't wait to get back to the tempurpedic.'

Me: 'Yup'

Bought a TempurPedic about a year ago. We had a "really good" mattress that was about 5 years old. We thought firm was the answer. I have an old back not bad, just not 20 anymore. I was not sleeping well and had problems. Withthe new bed, I can hoestly say my back feels much better, I get up in the morning (never an easy task for me) feeling rested and my back feels good.

Would I recommend this bed to anyone? Only if they spent at least 30 minutes lying on it before they bought. As has been said, no bed is for everyone. You need to fit or you will hurt.

In my case definately worth the money.

Jim

Thanks to all of you for your comments.

The problem I have, may just be the pillow. Is that when I sleep on my side, my fingers go numb. Not the side that I'm laying on, it is on top side. Also if I don't get my shoulder in just the right position the joint will ache all day.

Anybody had this and found a cure!!! I tried foam, feather, right now I use both a foam and feather on top if it. I'm large fella with big round barrel chest about 56 in diameter.

The problem I have, may just be the pillow. Is that when I sleep on my side, my fingers go numb. Not the side that I'm laying on, it is on top side. Also if I don't get my shoulder in just the right position the joint will ache all day.

Anybody had this and found a cure!!! I tried foam, feather, right now I use both a foam and feather on top if it. I'm large fella with big round barrel chest about 56 in diameter.

Hug a pillow. Get one of the cheaper harder pillows and drape you "top" arm over it, with the pillow sorta vertical on its edge. Think of the pillow laying on you chest, only you are on your side. It reduced the stress on your shoulder and being softer then your side it allows for more blood flow to you hand. I think this is common problem for people who are wide shouldered or barrel chested. The draw back is that if you like to sleep in a warm room or you are prone to sweating when you sleep, the pillow will make that problem worse. I like my sleeping area to be cool to cold so it isn't so much of a problem.

Edited by Vlad

I bought a Tempurpedic bed and loved it... I loved it so much I bought some for my kids. The whole family is on Tempurpedic now for 3 years. It really sucks staying at hotels because we are so used to memory foam. My in-laws seem to like coming to stay over more often, saying how comfy our beds are... that may be the only drawback to Tempurpedic :o

I slept on a Select Comfort bed last week. Better than most hotel beds, but certainly not better than a good quality mattress. I would only consider one if I had a sig. other with whom I had irreconcilable differences over mattress firmness.

I have the same trouble, with the off arm going to sleep. Doc told me that my barrel chest was putting preasure on the artery causing the problem. Solution is to sleep on my back or prop my arm on a pillow so that the preasure is relieved on the arm.

RPM

IF the wife and I ever get divorced, the only thing we will fight over is the Select Comfort bed we have. It was a wedding gift from my mom, CA King with the down cover on top of the mattress. I converted a capt's waterbed kit to the mattress, without the waterbed rails on it. You will not feel a difference in an air bed compaired to other mattresses unless you sleep on it for a week or so. Then forget it, everything else will feel like you're lying on a dung heep.

We've had the bed for over 7 years.