Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jp Upper

PaulW

Got a call from my dealer saying the JP upper I ordered should be in Monday. I have had the lower together for over a month just waiting on the upper. I'll post pic's when I get a chance. Also I picked up a Browning Gold, the deal was just to good. But alas it seems to be finicky. I know, I know I need an Benelli from Benny. I even called Benny about it and he was super helpful over the phone. But the old wallet can only handle so much. Maybe someday I can get a Benelli from Benny. Or when I get pissed off enough at the Browning Gold, like I did 6 years ago to the 1100.

Just got in my Gold Clays gas piston.

You can try it out and see if it fixes the finickyness, my gun needed more gas with the heavy 3 1/2" spring and light loads.

My Barrel is at Briley being fitted with chokes after I shortened it. They offer a hunter choke package that is slightly cheaper than the full thinwall package.

Ordered mine today, so now it's waiting time...

Went for the CTR02, stainless 18", BC comp, LMOS, SRTS.

Scope mount arrived yesterday and the Meopta should be here tomorrow.

Wish it was January already...

You are not going to like that set-up!! You might as well call John and have him send it to me so I can dispose of it properly!! ;)

Good pick..

Mike

I just finished putting mine together and its very similar with your setup but with a 20". Let me know how you like the SRTS with the Meopta. I removed mine as I find the 1x setting suitable for close stuff; but it may come handy in situations that you can just twist the rifle instead of adjusting the magnification. I like to hear what others think.

Ok I pick it up tonight. All I can say is "WOW". I love this rifle.

Sorry about the crappy pictures. One question for you experienced guys....I have the LMOS but I thought it uses a different buffer. I di dnot get a different buffer and am using a standrad one. Am I missing something?

post-1541-1166492190.jpg

post-1541-1166492202.jpg

Paul,

If you didn't get a buffer, you just got the LMOS carrier then. The buffer is an option to the system. Not a huge necessity. You can pick the buffer up seperately either from JP or there's Shooters' Supply in Fayetteville, NC has them in stock.

Rich

Actually, the LMOS buffer that JP sells is a rifle length buffer that is lighter than the std. Rifle buffer. you can put the lighter carbine buffer and spring in....however you MUST use a spacer in the Rifle buffer tube, or use a carbine buffer tube.

Both work about the same......with the edge of reliablity going to the JP LMOS buffer as well as feel. Either way you go, it is much better feeling than the standard rifle buffer system.

Thanks Rich. I called JP and they are sending me one.

Another question; The upper was SUPER tight going onto the lower. Do I just deal with it (brass hammer and delrin rod) or is there something I can do to make it

The upper was SUPER tight going onto the lower. Do I just deal with it (brass hammer and delrin rod) or is there something I can do to make it

I can't believe that he used the words hammer and new JP upper in the same sentence!

I could have said sledge!

Total Rundown:

Stag Lower

JP fire controls

KNS anti-rotate pins

Magpul trigger guard

ACE stock

Ergo grip

CTR-02 upper 16"

Medium Contour

LMOS system

Bennie Cooley Comp

All Black

C-More Tactical or EOTech 553

BUIS

Lots of CC products AR-mags with gen II followers, silicone springs

Lots of Ammo

Well as I see it you have three options and only 2 of them I would consider:

1 - File a smidge off of the upper receiver to have it fit the receiver (which I would not do).

2 - File a smide on the inside of the lower receiver to accept the upper better (which is probably the best option.

3 - Live with it (which is easy to say but would annoy the piss out of me too and therefore #2).

As for the hammer to the upper, it happens. It's a tool to accomplish a task. It needs some scratches and dings for character. Prestine rifles equals a rifle that hasn't been shot enough.

Rich

I have a complete CTR-02 that I shot at the Ft Benning 3 Gun Challange. It was set up with a Pro Diamond (old model) 1.5-5 scope with the JP open sight bar on the forend. Based on the targets at Benning I am changing to the Trjicon TA-01. I shot one that was on another competitors rifle while I was there and it seems to be perfect out to about 350 yards.

Just wanted to give you my input for what it is worth since you are setting up rifles similar to mine. My JP has an 18" mid weight barrel with a BC comp. I also had John install the heat sink on my barrel and it sure helps down here in the heat.

As for the hammer to the upper, it happens. It's a tool to accomplish a task. It needs some scratches and dings for character. Rich

Paul,

Just to make me happy ... hammer on the lower part when you are trying to put them together or get them apart. As Rich said, I would rather damage the lower, if either of them are to be damaged.

Jax,

My rifle sounds as if it will be very close to yours: 18", 1:8 with BC comp and LMOS. I will use a Holosight for local matches and have not determined what the long range sight will be yet. Likely a Trijicon of some sort.

Just to clarify, no hammer has come into contact with the upper or lower. The hammer was used with a delrin rod to push the pins together on the lower/upper receiver. And don't worry, I learned long ago to work on the cheaper part, so no file or hammer will touch the upper.