Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cold Weather Shooting - Keeping Warm

Jack Suber

Here's an idea for keeping warm on cold days - Get the Therma-care heat packets that stick to your back. I stick them on my back or T-shirt and then put a sweater etc. on top. They last about 8 hours and will really keep you warm. I use them for hunting and IPSC.

I thought I would bring this up for people that are coming to our Toys for Tots Match tomorrow. It will be 17 degrees tomorrow morning warming to around 51.

I dunno what LPatterson meant.

But Heatgear ( or similar off brand ) as a base layer under warm clothes works pretty well for me. Wicks sweat away from your skin and cuts heat loss .

A couple of layers of that type of material under something Goretex makes for a low bulk way to keep warm.

Travis F.

UA cold gear is made of the same material their heatgear is made from only it is much thicker. When worn as a base layer with aditional clothing it is quite warm and far less bulky than traditional insulating clothing. The downside is the stuff can be expensive, around $ 100. a set (top/bottoms).

UA cold gear is made of the same material their heatgear is made from only it is much thicker. When worn as a base layer with aditional clothing it is quite warm and far less bulky than traditional insulating clothing. The downside is the stuff can be expensive, around $ 100. a set (top/bottoms).

That makes me think the Heat Gear would work well on top of the compressed Cold Gear.

UA is expensive but I have not yet found anything that works better. :)

FM

Well you better make it south south Florida. Weather in Jacksonville for Saturday low 32 with a high of 54. If the wind is like it is today the wind chill will be in the teens in the morning and high 20s-30s in the afternoon. Hope the wind stops before tomorrow. I was going to shoot revolver tomorrow. I think I will shoot Limited or Open so I don't have to reload as often with numb fingers.

Yesterday morning (Saturday) we were expecting to freeze. Low 20's with a north wind blowing....

Got to the range and the wind had laid down and temps were about 30-32. Turned out to be a beautiful day. Even had to come out of some of the layers. Ended up wearing a couple of t-shirts.

dj

How about having propane heaters at every stage?...that'll will work for me :D

I think I was the only one who liked shooting at PASA in July :lol:

barry B)

We have people who bring portables and it does help a lot. The only problem is that you end up losing the hair on your nuckles. :lol:

Using summer gear (that isn't meant to be covered) doesn't work that great under stuff. the winter gear has a layer that pulls the sweat away from you and lets it evaporate there. With the summer gear, put something else on top that doesn't wick and it just gets soaked and makes you smell realllly bad. :) and sometimes even over heat.

i like hand warmers and the like in gloves ( a few fingers out of the gloves so you can paste) and mitten covers for the fingers when you aren't pasting :)

aaaah. shooting with snow blowing sideways. what fun I sure don't miss it.. but i'll probabally be doing it in the spring :(

Using summer gear (that isn't meant to be covered) doesn't work that great under stuff. the winter gear has a layer that pulls the sweat away from you and lets it evaporate there. With the summer gear, put something else on top that doesn't wick and it just gets soaked and makes you smell realllly bad. :) and sometimes even over heat.

i like hand warmers and the like in gloves ( a few fingers out of the gloves so you can paste) and mitten covers for the fingers when you aren't pasting :)

aaaah. shooting with snow blowing sideways. what fun I sure don't miss it.. but i'll probabally be doing it in the spring :(

I thought you guys shot barefoot? B)