Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Concealment Garment

jetflyer

I used a khaki GAP unlined blazer with the sleeves neatly removed for a few years. It really fit my old fraternity brother look with the dirty white baseball cap. Then I started shaving my balding head and the look was quite strange. I used a gift card last Christmas to upgrade to a Columbia vest. B)

Any shirt jacket or fleece vest that I am wearing or the first thing I see in my work van. And to be honest when I feel like gaming I will put on a 5-11 vest because in real life very few people actually wear them.

I have also seen a few vests that have a mesh back to keep you cool from places like Duluth trader, but they are not legal.

I usually wear whatever concealment garment I'm currently wearing - most of the time in SW Louisiana, it's a Wal-Mart pseudo-Hawaiian shirt. The three months of the year it's too cold for one, I follow the same logic with warmer clothes. I don't wear my 5.11 vest to matches unless I happen to have it on that day. (It actually looks kinda good over a flannel shirt.)

I usually wear whatever concealment garment I'm currently wearing - most of the time in SW Louisiana, it's a Wal-Mart pseudo-Hawaiian shirt. The three months of the year it's too cold for one, I follow the same logic with warmer clothes. I don't wear my 5.11 vest to matches unless I happen to have it on that day. (It actually looks kinda good over a flannel shirt.)

I'm sorry I couldn't resist.......exactly who have you been taking fashion advice from?? ;)

I'm sorry I couldn't resist.......exactly who have you been taking fashion advice from?? ;)

Nobody - can't you tell? :D

I don't wear the Magnum PI-style shirts; most of them are some kind of pattern other than tropical flora (plaids and such), but they are square-bottomed shirts and do a good job of concealing full-size guns (4" revolvers and 5" autos), spare ammo and SureFire.

I use a Starter windbreaker that's slightly longer than waist-length, with my keys in the right pocket. I hit the keys with the heel of my hand, and they stay swung out of the way til I have the heater out. Only problem is that it gets a little hot in the Texas summers.

[EDITED TO ADD:]

I thought about getting a vest then using electrical tape to spell out "HE'S GOT A GUN!" on the back and to add a big arrow pointing down on the right side, and maybe a target on the front. But I figured that would be redundant.

Edited by Genghis

Domke Pho Togs vest.

Wilson used to sell it in his catalog, it has nice pockets, heavy and stiff enough to swing out of the way, but has a mesh back so it doesn't get to hot.

I have wore this and the 5.11 (actually mine is a Royal Robbins, the 5.11 before it was tactical) and the I like the Domke much better. The side pockets are bigger and easier to dump a mag in as well.

I use a short sleeve shirt to which added iron-on denim patches on the inside to make it stiffer. When I get a vest I'll have teh following embroidered on the back in big bold lettering:

IN THE REAL WORLD

YOU WOULDN'T CATCH ME

WEARING THIS!

• 3 weeks later...

For matches I use vest's that I bought at a surplus store. Tan when it's hot and black when it's cooler. I never use them when I carry. I usually wear oversized shirts or light jackets if it's cool enough for one.

I don't care what anyone says you can pick out who's carrying. The so called carry vest just scream look at me I am carrying a gun.We recently shot a big match and went out to eat. While were sitting there we noticed how much the vest stick out in public. We talked quite a bit about how easy it is to pick them out of a crowd.

Mike

For the first few years I wore a 5.11 vest, but it wore out rather quickly. It ripped right behind the neck and my SureFire light wore several holes in the pocket. While I don't wear it to work, I do wear it to the range and when I'm on vacation with my family. It is amazing how much stuff you can pack with one.

Now I'm wearing the Woolrich vest. It is much sturdier, but it is also heavier. Woolrich is supposed to come out with a light weight vest, I'm told. In the cool months, I wear a Windstopper vest. http://www.rei.com/product/47909129.htm It does not stick out in a crowd, but it's short on me. IWB is a must.