Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uniquetek 550/650 Toolhead Clamp Installation

Well, my uniquetek toolhead clamp kit arrived today in the mail, and I was anxious to get it installed on my 2 toolheads. After loading for the 1st time on my 550, I found annoying variations in OAL in both .45 ACP and 9mm. . . variations that were reduced as I gained some experience on the machine, but variations none the less. These variations were at worst .005" and I routinely experienced a .002" variation.

Here is what I started out with. . . the back-side of my tiny bench in my bedroom with the toolhead clamped in place. :)

UniquetekInstallation-01.jpg

And, here is the kit as it arrived.

UniquetekInstallation-03.jpg

Ready to roll. . . I was a bit nervous.

UniquetekInstallation-02.jpg

A dose of preventative insight hit me as I thought about drill shrapnel flying all over the place. I taped off my dies. (Too lazy to take them off).

UniquetekInstallation-04.jpg

And, let the drilling begin. I used a 9/64" drill bit (not included in the kit) and enlarged the 2 holes in the toolhead. This was VERY smooth. . . the aluminum is soft, and I was able to get really clean holes with a hand drill no problem. You can even see that it's not particularly a good hand drill, but to my credit, the bit is new :)

UniquetekInstallation-05.jpg

Next, I used the included tap to thread the pretty hole I had just drilled. . . As the aluminum was so soft, I used the tap without cutting oil, and it worked fine. This also went very smoothly. I made sure to go slow with the drill as the aluminum is soft, and if the speed got out of hand, I could mung up the whole show.

UniquetekInstallation-06.jpg

Next, I used a 1/4" drill bit by hand and cleaned up the rough edges just a bit. Again, the aluminum is soft, and I cleaned them up no problems by hand. I used the inluded tool to insert helicoils into the holes. . . just enough so the helicoil sits slightly below the surface.

UniquetekInstallation-07.jpg

UniquetekInstallation-08.jpg

And, just a test to see if the hex bolt actually goes in. . . sweet!

UniquetekInstallation-09.jpg

And finally, the toolhead back on the press. . . w/ the bolt installed. No motion on the toolhead. Mission accomplished. This installation was super easy, and while I was a bit upset that Uniquetek charged me over $8 for shipping on an item that could almost have come in a standard letter envelope, I would have spend hours trying to figure out a solution to accomplish the same thing. I've only loaded up test loads so far, so until I get my butt to a chrono, I won't have need to make any more ammo. I'll report back concerning operation and AOL variation in the next installment.

UniquetekInstallation-10.jpg

It's simple, it's elegant, and I'm going to buy an extra toolhead just in case I mucked up the entire thing :lol: I like that the press remains un-modified and there is no additional clutter around the dies. Make sure not to tighten down the bolts too tight as the threads are not as big as I would like to have on aluminum. . . also make sure not to tighten down the bolts until you have all stations full and the press in the upward position so the toolhead is properly alligned.

OK,

I loaded up some test dummies to check OAL's. . . the unit has managed to cut my OAL variations. . . there is now a .0005-.001 difference between seating a bullet w/ all stations populated and seating with just the seating station.

I tested by loading a bullet with all stations populated. . . measuring it, and then removing casings from all other stations, and then re-seating the same bullet and measuring again. Previously, this is what produced the greatest seating depth variation

As for general seating variation, the run of dummies showed an improvement over my work-up load runs, but I still am seeing a .004" variation from time to time with the majority of cartridges now coming in within .001". My guess is bullet variation, seating die limitations (Lee). . . it's a toss up for me. Yes, it makes life a little easier in terms of seating die consistancy.

This is with Zero Jacketed hollow points, FMJ may give more consistancy as there are less variables on the bullet tip from bullet to bullet.

This mod did not make my system hold to within .001" every time. It does give me greater confidence in setup and the 1st 2 and last 2 rounds in a run. . .it also gives greater consistancy throughout the run, but not absolute consistancy.

Edited by chunger

OK,

I loaded up some test dummies to check OAL's. . . the unit has managed to cut my OAL variations. . . there is now a .0005-.001 difference between seating a bullet w/ all stations populated and seating with just the seating station.

I tested by loading a bullet with all stations populated. . . measuring it, and then removing casings from all other stations, and then re-seating the same bullet and measuring again. Previously, this is what produced the greatest seating depth variation

As for general seating variation, the run of dummies showed an improvement over my work-up load runs, but I still am seeing a .004" variation from time to time with the majority of cartridges now coming in within .001". My guess is bullet variation, seating die limitations (Lee). . . it's a toss up for me. Yes, it makes life a little easier in terms of seating die consistancy.

This is with Zero Jacketed hollow points, FMJ may give more consistancy as there are less variables on the bullet tip from bullet to bullet.

This mod did not make my system hold to within .001" every time. It does give me greater confidence in setup and the 1st 2 and last 2 rounds in a run. . .it also gives greater consistancy throughout the run, but not absolute consistancy.

Chunger, using a flat seating stem on flatpoints and hollow points will give you practically no variation. Many folks use the concave stem on hollow points, but as you say, bullet variations throw off the oal. The flat stem doesn't touch the olgive so oals stay pretty darned consistant and the stem seats squarely on the bullet.. I think the biggest problem is that folks just don't have a flat stem. That's an interesting mod though.

Bronson7

• 1 year later...

I got mine here yesterday too. On this side of the pond, it's 99% impossible to find 9/64" sized drill bits though! I thought I would just need to tap the existing holes in the toolhead. Oh well, 3.5mm is only 0.0718mm (0.0028") difference from a 9/64", and aluminium is soft, so I guess I'll just go for it... (This is how all stories of epic failure begin.) :cheers:

Edited by askomiko

askomiko, If you will send me your address and the other information...I'll mail you a bit the proper size.

I really think this is a waste of time, but if you are an engineer or have a bunch of time to burn, I guess it's worth it. I have loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds in the last forty + years and if I need something that close to my specs...I'd use a single stage.

I think a thin piece of brass or copper could be used to shim the tool head if needed.

Buddy

I won a set of Uniquetek tool head clamping, and did not use it for 3-6 months, I too noticed on my RL550B that AOL variance was a little concerning, not much, but a few thousandth's, so I decided to give it a try on one of my tool heads. It worked so well that I ended up applying it to all tool heads, it is just a helicoil set, and the reason the drill bit size is strange is that it is non standard, same with the tap, it is helicoil thread size, and it is important to use the correct drill bit size.

I seem to remember a drill bit was part of the package?, or may be I already had that size?

The reason it works, is that the tool head (especially on a 550, I do not have experiance with a 650) is that the tool head floats in the frame, with just he two pins holding/guiding it, I know that when the ram comes up it lifts the tool head through the variuos stations coming into contact with the components, but it is not consistant movement, with the tool head clamps in place the tool head is completely stationary, and therefore a consistant distance away from the ram head.

For the low cost of the set, and the minimual installation time (you don't have to be an engineer, just utilize a little common sence and read the instructions) it is worth it's weight in gold!

Just my 2 cents

askomiko, If you will send me your address and the other information...I'll mail you a bit the proper size.

Thank you very much for the offer, but I already made it with my 3.5mm drill. I ruined two helicoils because the insertion tool was a bit bad, it didn't grip the wire properly.

I really think this is a waste of time, but if you are an engineer or have a bunch of time to burn, I guess it's worth it.

I agree. I noticed no improvement with pistol ammo, but there was no problem to begin with. :rolleyes: But I think it might help a bit when resizing 223 with only the resize die in place.

I am an engineer by trade and as such, can fully appreciate the fine art of over-complicating virtually anything but I have to ask this question: Has anybody ever said that " My ammo produced groups of x.xx" before I bolted down the tool head on my Dillon press and how it produces y.yy" groups which are z.zz% better! " ?

Just Curious,

Chuck

If you are hitting the bottom of the stroke with your handle, the "floating" tool head would have to move the same each time, wouldn't it. If it is free to "float" it seems to me that it would "float" each time, as long as the stroke was the same.

How much movement (up and down) did it take out of your press? Did it remove side to side movement?

I think you are getting different readings on your OAL due to inconsistent bullet nose shapes. Start weighing your bullets and see how much they vary. Put all of the same exact weight in a pile and load them and measure them and see if that doesn't make your OAL a little more consistent.

But guys, lets face it. In our sport most of our shooting is not for accuracy and we are loading long to facilitate proper feeding.

Buddy

P.S. I didn't intentionally take a shot at engineers. I just know that they like things to be exact. It wasn't meant to be demeaning.

Buddy

I am an engineer by trade and as such, can fully appreciate the fine art of over-complicating virtually anything but I have to ask this question: Has anybody ever said that " My ammo produced groups of x.xx" before I bolted down the tool head on my Dillon press and how it produces y.yy" groups which are z.zz% better! " ?

Just Curious,

Chuck

Right. I was just getting ready to post that. ;)

When I was competing in The Masters, I loaded all my 6.5 BR ammo on an absolutely box-stock 550, which I could consistently shoot into 1.5" at 200 meters, out of the Creedmoor position.

be

Just Curious,

Chuck

Our own Clay Autery (Cautery) did some some fine work in this regard. He was going off the theory that decreasing the jump that the bullet had to make to engage the rifling could increase the accuracy. His results showed that he was onto something.

IRC...he first worked worked by getting barrels reamed to his specs...which proved out his thinking. Then, the variable that he was looking to eliminate (to get a consistent and short jump) became the ammo. So, he came up with the idea of locking down his 550's shell plate.

http://montac.net/index.html

Check out "bullet jump".

I do agree that the bullets themselves, and their contact with the seating die, are other factors in variance of OAL.

• 2 weeks later...

Well...Up until today I was only loading 38/357 and 45 Colt on my 550. I have (and use) Uniquetek's micrometer and really like it and about 6 months ago I bought the toolhead clamp kit but never installed it...Soooooooo today I got my new quick change kit from Dillon for 45 ACP and thought it'd be a good time to set it up. I ran accross the toolhead clamp kit and said "what the h***, I'll just install that too."

So I stripped the tool heads on all 3 toolheads and went for it. The installation went smoothly and when testing each tool head on the press everything is rock solid. I then began to set up the quick change for 45ACP and afterwards ran 10 quick rounds of 45ACP...smooth.

While I've never much cared for OAL or it's variances with 38/357 and 45 Colt (for cowboy action shooting...I just seat to the crimp groove), I thought since this was my first attempt with loading for a semi-auto pistol, that I should be more concerned with things like OAL and crimp diameter. What I discovered was a +/- .002" on OAL AFTER I installed the toolhead clamp kit. I then did a random check on some 38 spcl and 45 Colt loads and found the SAME variences in OAL...These rounds were loaded BEFORE installing the clamp kit.

At this moment, it seems that the clamp kit does not make a difference for me but I figure I really need to run some normal batches through the press for a final test. I also noticed that the cap/sizing die (a Dillon) does not seem to line up perfectly to the case...maybe Dillon designed the toolhead pins so it will float just a little: enough to allow for some ever so slight misalignment situations like this ???

This is the first set of Dillon Dies I've used and I've heard that the carbide ring's taper on the capping/sizing die is less that some other's...Any thoughts on this?

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to interject a bit of new data regarding the Toolhead Clamp Kit™ and OAL reduction. I recently got a call from a customer who was not getting the expected OAL reduction. He tried a few suggestions I offered and ultimately discovered that his decap/resize die was screwed down too far and would press on the shellplate hard enough to cause it to tilt. When he backed off the die just a bit, the expected OAL reduction was achieved.

Good feedback from several of you regarding the drill bit. We did not include it as we figured it was a common size and including it would increase the kit price needlessly. Heck even my set of cheap drill bits included a 9/64" bit. But I certainly did fail to consider the international market. Oops! :(

As always, if you have problems with any of our products, please call me! I can often offer a solution over the phone. And if we don't know that something isn't right, we can correct it. So don't be afraid to call.

Lee Love

480-216-2041

UniqueTek, Inc.

This is the first set of Dillon Dies I've used and I've heard that the carbide ring's taper on the capping/sizing die is less that some other's...Any thoughts on this?

Well, I have 2 dillon 38super die sets and one of the sizing dies sizes considerably further down on the case than the other. The one that came with my 550B requires no Lee crimp or EGW U die to sufficiently resize 100% of my supercomp cases. The newer one that came with my 1050 produces 1%-2% of my cases that will not chamber fully in my gun due to insufficient resizing. Both dies are adjusted for my 1050 so that the die is 1/8 turn from touching the shellplate yet they size differently. I am considering sending the weak one back for replacement......

Just Curious,

Chuck

Our own Clay Autery (Cautery) did some some fine work in this regard. He was going off the theory that decreasing the jump that the bullet had to make to engage the rifling could increase the accuracy. His results showed that he was onto something.

IRC...he first worked worked by getting barrels reamed to his specs...which proved out his thinking. Then, the variable that he was looking to eliminate (to get a consistent and short jump) became the ammo. So, he came up with the idea of locking down his 550's shell plate.

http://montac.net/index.html

Check out "bullet jump".

I do agree that the bullets themselves, and their contact with the seating die, are other factors in variance of OAL.

Especially true for benchrest rifle. Wilson Mfg. takes it a step further and has you fire your brass in the gun your loading for and machining the hand sizer/neck die to meet those expanded specs. for your particular chamber. That way, there is no irregular expansion in the chamber, but a lessed and more concentric expansion. The bullet seating die is where the OAL is adjusted to where the bullet is just a hair off the Lands to minimize bullet jump to rifling. All things add up synergistically.

Next step? Send in your fired brass to Dillon and they make you a custom sizer die??? I want royalites!!! :cheers: