Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slings......

IanLock

Hello all,

i recenlty saw a load of pics from a pmc friend of mine in iraq, and i noticed that the majority of the guys pictured had what i would call a single point sling on their wepons, ie a loop that goes from under arm pit to over opposite shoulder with the wepon attached at single point at the front of the butt stock, around where your thumb would be....

So my question is, why single point over 3 point, i thought 3 point was the one to have??

is there any advantage of one over the other??

Anyone got any thoughts/ preferences, and why??

which would be best if we had to use one in competition??

Ian.

Ian,

3 point slings used to run 90% / 10% over single points like the Specter Gear MOUT sling or the Blackhawk ZM Sling. Now, the ration is probably 70 / 30 in favor of the single points.

The most common thing we hear is that the weapon mounted with a single point drops muzzle downwards when releasing as opposed to cross body with the 3 point. This makes transitioning to a side arm easier and also has a smaller Murphy factor of the the muzzle getting hung up in a small hallway or on an object. It is also easier to use a rifle on a single point sling as a blunt force weapon if the siuation warrants.

The feedback we get is from the law enforcement / military perspective, of course, so as to your question as to competition use, I think my personal preference would be a single point ( so the muzzle drops downwards) with a quick release buckle. Most competitions would frown on you retaining a slung rifle when transitioning to a side arm, so it probably does not really matter as it is not going to happen anyway.

If you are gonna get a "Tac" type sling for a 3gun rifle competition, the only one that I feel is really useful in that venue is the V-Tac sling from Viking Tactics. It not only holds the rifle muzzle down when dropped, but it can also be used to sling the rifle behind you in muzzle up, or down mode very quickly and slickly. It can additionally be deployed as very solid shooting support with just one quick sliding motion on the strap. Much more versatile and useable for competition that any other Tac sling IMO.

The other useful sling for competition is the Ching Sling, which may be less useful for carry, but it does offer great shooting support.

I have a V-Tac sling for all of my IPSC rifles and shotguns. You can see them in action and get them at www.vikingtactics.com. They are also available from JP Rifles.

+1 on the VTAC. Your best choices are it and the one being hawked by Larry Vickers which is very similiar.

The 3 point slings are hard to get in and out of and are ungainly. The VTAC allows you to quickly put the rifle wherever you want it: slung upfront, on your back, muzzle up, muzzle down, etc. etc. The VTAC can even serve as a shooting sling (as opposed to simply a carrying sling). You tighten it as you get into position which creates some stability and then you can quickly loosen it. Why anyone would still use a 3 point is beyond me.

I always have a VTAC and a ching sling in my rifle shooting kit.

• 3 months later...

When I got to Afghanistan, like an idiot, I forgot to pack my V-Tac before I left the house. Instead of buying some POS Ops, Inc. or Spec-Ops 3 point sling, I actually just rigged my own 3-point with two standard slings. It worked until our connex got here and thank goodness I packed an extra one.

The V-Tac sling is the heat! Plain and simple. There is no other sling anywhere that is more versatile for competition and for real world carry of your rifle. Because I left my original back in California, I picked up Kyle's padded one (not with the big honkin' pad) and it's pretty nice. Since I carry both the M-4 and M-9 on missions and spend a lot of my time on my knees or running around when I'm outside the aircraft, it was important to me to have a very fast and versatile sling platform that didn't restrict me from doing my job as well as allowed access to my vest and side arm on a thigh holster.

The V-Tac IS the only way to go, in my opinion. You may find something you like better, but you won't find a sling that's better. FWIW, Vickers' is a knock-off.

Rich

• 2 months later...

Since I haven't seen one mentioned, look at the Blue Force Gear Vickers sling as well. It's a two point that gets rid of the webbing that typically fouls the bolt catch and is the only way to fly for me. Single points sacrifice weapon control when slung and guarantee blunt force facial trauma for me, and the Vickers rig has replaced my go-to Wilderness 3 points universally.

I dropped both the 3-point and single point slings. The 3-points have too much webbing that gets in the way. Single points are nice for some applications, but you lose some control of the weapon, since it just dangles there with the muzzle banging into your knees and the butt slapping your face, unless you use one hand to control it. But then you've lost the hands-free virtue of having a tactical sling.

I've gone to the 2-point slings. I've been using the Vickers from Blue Force. I also have a V-Tac on order from Brownells. I think these two slings are the way to go for all long guns.

Ching on an AR.

Brownells sells a replacement front takedown (pivot) pin that has a sling stud built into it 923-000-032 made by KNS. It works reasonabally well for a mid sling point. Or drill and tap your free-float tube up close to the receiver.

I believe he has one sling stud towards the front of his float tube and one in the back of the float tube drilled in at about 7 o'clock.

Ted, Kurt may not answer you.......................he's basking in the warm sands of Aruba, for the next week or so.

I can't remember how his sling is attached.

Trapr

+1 for single point slings on a combat course (like the ITRC short course) or in the sandbox - other than that, realize they will let your AR smack you in the chin if you transition from standing to kneeling without holding the weapon (such as being forced to use a pistol)

Most of the contractors view needing to use a pistol as a major F-up, so that statement doesn't apply.

Other than that, 2-point slings are the heat if you want shooting support, never 3-point (too slow, too hard to deploy, too hard to get out of)