Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The question is:

Why don't we already know where the 2007 Nationals will be held?

Why don't we know when?

Why don't we have the mix, ie., Open-Production-Single Stack, Limited-Limited-10-Revolver or whatever mix is decided upon?

Areas need to know to plan, Sections need to know, clubs need to know, and we as members need to know. We need to schedule vacation time.

Jim

Edited by Jim Norman

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the same reason we don't know this time every year. The contracts aren't signed by the clubs that are going to host them.

The way it works is all Area matches are scheduled, then Nationals is picked to conflict with one or more of them. Otherwise everything would run smoothly and no one would be able to complain on the internet.

I've got work stuff scheduled all the way through early 2008. I understand not everybody's situation is like mine, but many shooters need to know way ahead of time so they can keep the time slot(s) cleared of other commitments.

There is no reason USPSA can't handle this much more professionally.

This is a sore subject with me.

Edited by Carmoney

Next week, I sit down awith the 4 companies I work for to do my scheduling for 2007. Opps, I forgot the future wife, the 5 bosses I answer to for scheduling ;)

So, I guess I just have to hope the matches I want to shoot fall in time when I am not working :(

I realize this isn't the Olympics, but the current open bid is for Winter 2014 and the decision will be made July 4, 2007. The process started in April of 2004.

(let the math sink in)

I don't think we need that much, but wouldn't a rolling 3 year schedule be doable and desirable?

Is there a way to encourage the board to go ahead and schedule the next two years (for the next two years) or the next three years this year and then only have to worry about getting year three put together each year after that?

I realize this isn't the Olympics, but the current open bid is for Winter 2014 and the decision will be made July 4, 2007. The process started in April of 2004.

(let the math sink in)

I don't think we need that much, but wouldn't a rolling 3 year schedule be doable and desirable?

Is there a way to encourage the board to go ahead and schedule the next two years (for the next two years) or the next three years this year and then only have to worry about getting year three put together each year after that?

Three to 5 years in advance scheduling would be a most wonderful thing indeed. I'm sure we have enough people smart enough to make this happen. :)

The World Equestrian Competitions will be held in Lexington, Kentucky in 2010. If this were a shooting event, the best shooters in IPSC, USPSA, IDPA, Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, High Power Rifle, Sniper, 3 Gun, SASS and Air Soft would all be there.

(let the math sink in)

Three to 5 years in advance scheduling would be a most wonderful thing indeed. I'm sure we have enough people smart enough to make this happen. :)

The World Equestrian Competitions will be held in Lexington, Kentucky in 2010. If this were a shooting event, the best shooters in IPSC, USPSA, IDPA, Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, High Power Rifle, Sniper, 3 Gun, SASS and Air Soft would all be there.

+1

ARTICLE 5 - BOARD OF DIRECTORS:

The Board of Directors shall consist of the President and the elected Area Directors.

5.1 Business:

The Board of Directors shall be responsible for directing the overall policies of the corporation. A

primary responsibility of the Board is to provide strategic planning and leadership on key issues to ensure

the long-term health and viability of the organization. Specific areas of Board responsibility include, but

are not limited to:

iv.) strategies for the format and location of National Championship matches,

Based upon the above, it would seem that the BOD MAY have the power to decide when the Nationals location and dates must be announced. They may not be empowered to choose the location or dates based upon the powers ennumerated under the President, but they do appear to have the power to force action.

USPSA Bylaws

7.2 The President:

The President shall be the chief executive officer of the corporation and shall be primarily responsible for

the implementation of the policies of the Board of Directors. In addition to the other provisions of these

bylaws, the President shall

vi.) serve as, or designate, the Match Director of, and have full and final authority concerning the

United States National Championships,

There would seem to be arguments either way here. Apparently the President is the one that makes the decision, however the BOD is apparently empowered to force the issue.

Would that it weren't necessary for the BOD to do so. But we as members deserve to know the dates and format of our National Championships at least one year in advance.

The match schedule for not only USPSA Sanctioned matches but also other matches that many of our members compete in and WIN needs to be set. Do we really want the Steel Challenge, Single Stack Classic and USPSA Open Nationals to be the same or even consecutive weekends?

Hierarchy of the schedule:

USPSA Nationals, ALL OF THEM

USPSA Area Matches

USPSA Sectionals

USPSA States, Special Matches, i.e.; Summer Blast, AWARE, Crazy Croc, etc.

With this known, we at the lowest level can put in for time off. Our club schedules can be set. Often the local match crew travels to the big matches and arrangements have to be made so that the 50-60 people not going to an away match will still have alocal match of the expected quality.

What is so hard?

Jim Norman

The match schedule for not only USPSA Sanctioned matches but also other matches that many of our members compete in and WIN needs to be set. Do we really want the Steel Challenge, Single Stack Classic and USPSA Open Nationals to be the same or even consecutive weekends?

Hierarchy of the schedule:

USPSA Nationals, ALL OF THEM

USPSA Area Matches

USPSA Sectionals

USPSA States, Special Matches, i.e.; Summer Blast, AWARE, Crazy Croc, etc.

With this known, we at the lowest level can put in for time off. Our club schedules can be set. Often the local match crew travels to the big matches and arrangements have to be made so that the 50-60 people not going to an away match will still have alocal match of the expected quality.

What is so hard?

You go, Jim!

I realize that putting on a nationals is not an EASY task, including selecting venue, format and dates in advance. However, it seems to me that it is so IMPORTANT that it needs to be done more in advance than it currently is. At a minimum, next's years dates / venue / format should be announced at the current year's event. Whatever it takes to get this done needs to be done.

What is so hard?

+1 If our dog club can put on a National Specialty and announce the locations years in advance, certainly USPSA can do it too.

Looks like it's kind of a USPSA thing? Others are apparently better organized.

Single Stack Nationals April 26-28 2007

ICORE June 15-17 2007

Canadian Nationals August 1-5 2007

Steel Challenge August 16-17 2007

What is so hard?

+1 If our dog club can put on a National Specialty and announce the locations years in advance, certainly USPSA can do it too.

ICORE June 15-17 2007

And yet Area 4, Area 8, two sectionals (South Carolina, Mississippi) and two "other" match (Summer Blast, Missouri) are already scheduled.

And yet Area 4, Area 8, two sectionals (South Carolina, Mississippi) and two "other" match (Summer Blast, Missouri) are already scheduled.

Area 1 is scheduled---It's the week after the Canadian Nationals IIRC

Crazy Croc is Saturday and Sunday of Labor Day weekend, whenever that is.

First off, I generally agree with everyone. It is not an unreasonable expectation to have USPSA articulate next year's national schedule. All the above examples of organizations being able to schedule their events are proof that it can be done.

I wonder though, if there are existing contracts that need to be reviewed and re-negotiated. I believe there were committments made to PASA that might need to be reviewed. Wasn't there something about Fl wanting nationals and making a great case for FL, then it was announce there was a 10 year deal with PASA/Quincy?

Perhaps then USPSA could look at dates and venues. I would suspect that once A2 is over, there should be no excuse for delaying the annoucement of dates, venues and divisions.

I will postpone my rant about the middle of the country logic as a reason for picking a venue.

What is so hard?

ICORE June 15-17 2007

Area 1 is scheduled---It's the week after the Canadian Nationals IIRC

Crazy Croc is Saturday and Sunday of Labor Day weekend, whenever that is.

SO four major matches are already scheudled. Now all we have to do is hope that the Nationals don't fall right on top of any of you.

Which is why it would be really really nice if the Nats were scheduled a year plus in advance.

I have at least 3 matches to get scheduled for next year, maybe 5 and it would be very helpful to know when I should not schedule them for.

Jim