Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Mags

Nemo

I'm looking for 45acp SS mags. I've been using CMC PowerMags but the followers have started to slide forward after the last shot and not dropping free. I also have 3 Wilsons that fully loaded just won't work right in my Springfields (1st round feeding troubles).

Ysued gave me an ACT mag that he got with some pistola and that one works SUPER! in my guns. Wayne Novak sells the ACTs for about the same as the Cobra Mags from Tripp. These are a bit above what I want to pay for these mags.

I found Mec-Gars for a very reasonable price and they look very similar to the ACT's. Anybody have feedback on these less-expensive mags?

All input greatly appreciated.

¡Gracias!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May I make a suggestion? If I was in your shoes I would simply order Wilson rebuild kits and you will be good to go. The problem with your Wilson mags simply sounds like tired springs. Mag springs are not life time parts they do require replacement. I had simillar problems with my CMC mags and by simply relacing the springs and followers with Wilson parts the mags have become 100%. So for alot less than buying new mags you can simply get the rebuild kits and have your mags good to go. As always YMMV.

Thanx for the replies guys!

Last night I ordered 5 blue Mec-Gars for $12.99 ea. Not bad! I know, I'm cheap... But I'll also buy the Wilson rebuild kits for the 6 mags I already have.

Will report on how the cheap mags work.

When I carried a COLT as a duty gun I carried nothing but Wilsons! For competition I use the McCormick 8 round 45s and the 9 round 10MMs in my .40s. I have no problems with

MEC-GAR, Colt or any of the brands that are made by MEC-GAR and McCormick....

Most of the stuff in Brownell's is good stuff.....

Mick

A27257

I'm a big believer in Wilson 8-rounders. Properly-maintained, they are the holy grail of .45 magazines. I use Shooting Star 10-rounders in my .38 Super single stack.

The Mec-Gars are fine, but will not work properly with some magwells due to the basepad design.

By the way, at the Steel Challenge in '04, there was a vendor with a whole box full of what looked to be ACT mags marged "NOVAK" for $10 each!!

By the way, at the Steel Challenge in '04, there was a vendor with a whole box full of what looked to be ACT mags marged "NOVAK" for $10 each!!

There was a box on a vendor table in Tulsa last week-'Novak mags...$5.00'. Wonder if its the same box full?

Why do so many people complain about how much the Tripp CobraMags cost? They are only $29.99 and cheaper if you by 5 or more. Is that like twice the price of a Wilson or something????? I am new to the 1911 thing so be easy on me.

There was a box on a vendor table in Tulsa last week-'Novak mags...$5.00'. Wonder if its the same box full?

Who's table ?

There are many good mags, and many bad manufacturers. But if you want the best, by a margin x3 you need to contact Virgil Tripp (the "T" in STI) and have him fabricate and send his Cobra-Mag. Nothing comes close. He has .45acp, 40sw, and is going to reintroduce, 38 super and 9mm shortly. NO CONTEST for S/S. And one of the best gunsmiths in the country, with a turnaround time of 4-6 weeks not 4-6 months !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Mec-Gars are fine, but will not work properly with some magwells due to the basepad design.

Lo & behold, I had to return the Mec-Gars because they wouldn't work with the S&A magwell. Replace them with Novak-ACT's from Brownells. At $15 still a good deal although not as good as the box at Bianchi. Now...

I'ld buy the Wilsons and maintain as needed. The Novack/Act Mags may still be band from Single Stack as they extend slightly from the pistol magwell.

ACT mags banned from single stack? I thought the criteria here was the IPSC box. If a 1911 single stack pistol with a S&A magwell fits the box, it will do so with an ACT mag inserted. Actually, I thought the ACT's didn't give me enough magazine protruding below the magwell's bottom to properly seat it at speed. I just don't see why they would be banned.

Anyone?

There are many good mags, and many bad manufacturers. But if you want the best, by a margin x3 you need to contact Virgil Tripp (the "T" in STI) and have him fabricate and send his Cobra-Mag. Nothing comes close. He has .45acp, 40sw, and is going to reintroduce, 38 super and 9mm shortly. NO CONTEST for S/S. And one of the best gunsmiths in the country, with a turnaround time of 4-6 weeks not 4-6 months !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Virgil Tripp might be a great guy, but (1) some users have reported cracking of the Cobra magazines around the top, and (2) his website indicates he is no longer doing gunsmithing work anymore, just plating.

Some of the early ACT mags had an iffy heat treat, and if you have them they will crack up at the top of the lips in the back of the mag. They will replace them, so it is the cost of doing business.

As far as the CMC mags follower pushing forward and keeping the mag in the gun that is usually indicative of needing a new mag spring. That is what I have found in the classic mags, I havent seen that in the two Power mags I have, but I havent had to change the spring out in them yet either.

I have a Tripp mag coming, so I can't wait to try it out due to the reports I have been seeing. The simple truth is that if your gun is set up correctly and your ammo is within spec pretty much any mag on the market will work just fine. You should be able to change the springs once a year and go on for a long time. 7 rounders seem to last forever, but the 8 rounders do need replacement since it is a lot of work for the spring to cram 8 in there where 7 is supposed to be!

DougC

I use Les Baer's. They are great magazines, never had a problem. My only suggestion would be that the springs are so tight that you need to load them and leave them overnight because for IDPA tac-reloads the springs are so tight that you can have a real problem trying to seat the magazine with a round in the chamber.

Best Regards,

Ed