Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preferred/favorite Primers

charliez

I'm wondering what primer brands you prefer for 9, 40, and 45.

I've been using Winchester primers, the first one I've used and it seems to work well. The packaging is just perfect, all of them have the bottoms up (i.e. anvil facing down) so all I have to do is flip them once (place priming tray on top and flip) to they're right side up.

I've had to use CCI 300 large pistol primers, and there are usually 5-8 primers that are not right side up, so I have to do a little more work.

Federal primers are packaged sideways, so they require most work to get right side up.

Aside from packaging what are other differences between them? Would anything affect reliability, accuracy, shelf life, etc.?

Thanks!

A few years ago I switched from Winchester, which I had used for years, to Federal. They work much better than anything else in a revolver, and I have had no problems in my Glocks. And having one brand of primer makes things much easier. I would think that shelf life would be about the same in all of the major brands of primers.

• 2 weeks later...
A few years ago I switched from Winchester, which I had used for years, to Federal. They work much better than anything else in a revolver, and I have had no problems in my Glocks. And having one brand of primer makes things much easier. I would think that shelf life would be about the same in all of the major brands of primers.

I have winchesters :)

I load .45ACP in a Dillon XL650 for my 1911s. I do not shoot revolvers.

I have tried both Federal and Winchester large pistol primers. Both have worked perfectly once a round is finished. However, I have had multiple problems with the Federal feeding into the primer tubes and then ending up the correct side up in the casing. I've had no such problems with the Winchester. This problem and the fact that the Federal primers are packaged in such a poorly thought out configuration have led me to standardize on the Winchester. Of course, YMMV.

Winchester for everything except my Glock with the light trigger. Federal for that one.

The last 1K of Federals I loaded into tubes went in as slick as the Winchester. If this was always the case I'd switch to all Federal to simplify things. Normally Federal primers are a PITA to load in tubes using my vibraprime.

• 3 weeks later...