Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kkm And Glocked Brass

WildWest N AZ

Tyring to decide if I want to go with an KKM barrel? I reload so it would be nice to shoot lead because its cheaper, and it would give my G35 a cleaner look. My ? is we all know about Glocked brass but the stock barrel on mine will take and function great with the stuff that barely dosent fit my case gauge. I know the KKM chamber is tighter than the OEM barrel but is it that much tighter that I will run into my reloads that dont pass case gauge inspection wont work with that barrel as they do in my stock barrel?

Thanks for the help. :D

I know that at our club the indoor range only allows lead/ cast bullets. One of our members bought a KKM barrel for a 9mm Glock not sure of which model, and he did have trouble with chamber being tight.

After the first stage with jams, he had to remove his barrel and case guage all of his ammo in it before continuing the match and he had quite a few that were no go.

I recently bought my first Glock, a model 35 and I am looking into getting a barrel to shoot my reloads in and was concerned about the same thing.

I was thinking of giving Storm Lake barrels a try:

http://www.stormlakemachine.com/index.html

They have some overruns on clearance for a very good price. $79.

Does anyone know if these barrels have tight chamber or other issues?

I have a KKM barrel in my G35, love it. I bought it so I could shoot lead (i.e. shoot MORE), and so my brass doesn't get worked and embrittled by the huge OEM chamber. I have 500 plain lead and 2K Bear Creek Moly-encapsulated bullets through the KKM barrel sp far, not one problem. Barrel seems as accurate as my stock barrel (maybe 2-3" at 25 yards unsupported slowfire, with me being a shaky old fart). My fired brass is easy to resize (I can definitely tell the difference between my brass and someone else's glocked brass). I crimp to .420... I don't use a case gauge per se, I use the barrel to fit-check the rounds.

Measuring my chamber with calipers (not sure how accurate this is, so please bear with me)... looks like .420 at the deepest point I can get my calipers into the chamber. Doesn't seem like an excessively tight chamber, but I would probably need to take a chamber casting to be really sure about the dimensions. All I really know is:

1. my glock always works

2. is accurate enough for me

3. doesn't show any indications of high pressure... zero

4. doesn't work my brass

5. is easy to clean

Based on my limited experience, I would recommend the KKM barrel. To me, it is well worth the 165 bucks I paid.

easy fix. just make sure you are using the Lee Carbide full sizing die set as far down as humanly possible. I have a KKM in .40 in my G20, using this die I never have issues with Glocked brass

A second for the Lee die. EGW sells a Lee die that they take some material off the bottom of to let you get down all the way. I use a EGW die and run a KKM bbl in my G22. I don't shoot lead, but do shoot once fired Glock brass (from factory bbls.). I load at 1.130oal with either Zero or MG 180gr. HP's and have had no issues with this set up.

Nick-

I think I will try the KKM. I am very careful when I reload and I dont think I will have any problems. Maybe I will pick up a Lee die as you guys have suggested, I will try my Dillon die for awhile and see how that works.

I think I found the answer to my questions about the Storm Lake barrel quality on a thread a few rows down. I dont think I will go that route.

If you just have to have an aftermarket barrel go with the Lone Wolf $89 barrel. It is just as well made and accurate as a KKM, Bar-Sto, Storm Lake or any of the rest. I have installed dozens of aftermarket barrels.

That being said, I am yet to find and aftermarket barrel that is any more accurate than my stock G35 barrel. Lead? I have been shooting lead through it for years. All aftermarket barrels have a tighter chamber = less reliability.

I use a standard Lee carbide sizing die. No need for the U/EGW die. I have not had any issues with overworked brass. I once loaded .40 brass 10 times with Major PF loads just to see.

I think I will try the KKM. I am very careful when I reload and I dont think I will have any problems. Maybe I will pick up a Lee die as you guys have suggested, I will try my Dillon die for awhile and see how that works.

I think I found the answer to my questions about the Storm Lake barrel quality on a thread a few rows down. I dont think I will go that route.

nope, wouldn't do that if I were you. There's a reason my friend with his Dillion press and dies won't ever try to reload a glock fired brass. It won't re-size it enough.

nope, wouldn't do that if I were you. There's a reason my friend with his Dillion press and dies won't ever try to reload a glock fired brass. It won't re-size it enough.

"erased trash I wrote"

The Dillon dies usually work OK. Adjust a little and give it a try.

Edited by Viggen

I have a KKM in my G35 , use an EGW die in an XL650 , and once fired Glock brass .

I have a few that won't case guage , most of these will still drop in the KKM barrel .

The KKM chamber is tighter than the stock barrel by quite a bit , but is larger than my case guage .

Go for it !

Travis F.

I also use the EGW die personally I dont think it does any better job than the standard Lee sizing die does. I still get 3 to 5 rounds out of 100 that dont pass factory sizing gauge. Although they still run through the gun with out any issues. I decided to pass on the KKM barrel it dosent seem to be worth worring about if my Glocked brass wont pass through it! My stock barrel loves that stuff and with eat out the same hole at 10yds if Im on at the range that day! I think that 165 or so dollars will be better spent on another 1000 of zero bullets.

What absolute crock.

If somebody just feels in their bones that dropping in a KKM, Super Duper, Bar-Sto, or whatever barrel is the thing to do fine. But to suggest that Dillon's won't reload Glocked brass is silly.

Stock Glock 35's, well over 15K rounds through each and this is running ALL molly coated bullets(lead covered with molly). It works fine. So that's at least 30K of 40 with most of it being used several times being reloaded by Dillon Dies. Now for the 9mm, same thing except there the round count goes well over 50K reloaded over the past 3-5 years. Most of that was Glocked brass also. Also Dillon dies.

The Dillon Dies work fine, just set them up properly. If you just have to spend money buy barrels - if you think you really need to for some reason but the stock barrel works fine.

Buying stuff doesn't make the shooter or the performance better, when you already have good stuff to begin with.

Bettery yet, spend the money on components and go shoot.

But how do you REALLY feel Viggen? :lol:

What absolute crock.

If somebody just feels in their bones that dropping in a KKM, Super Duper, Bar-Sto, or whatever barrel is the thing to do fine. But to suggest that Dillon's won't reload Glocked brass is silly.

Stock Glock 35's, well over 15K rounds through each and this is running ALL molly coated bullets(lead covered with molly). It works fine. So that's at least 30K of 40 with most of it being used several times being reloaded by Dillon Dies. Now for the 9mm, same thing except there the round count goes well over 50K reloaded over the past 3-5 years. Most of that was Glocked brass also. Also Dillon dies.

The Dillon Dies work fine, just set them up properly. If you just have to spend money buy barrels - if you think you really need to for some reason but the stock barrel works fine.

Buying stuff doesn't make the shooter or the performance better, when you already have good stuff to begin with.

Bettery yet, spend the money on components and go shoot.

But how do you REALLY feel Viggen? :lol:

LOL

Darn, sorry Larry...... I just reread the thing. Sounds sort of grim doesn't it.

Don't tell them that nobody lets me near anything but a Daisy air rifle anymore.

The reason I amgoing to get a standard rifled barrel isnt to look cool (it would take much more than that to make me look cool) or that the stock barrel doesnt perform well.

It has gobbled up the few hundred jacketed reloads I have produced so far with my "Dillon" dies no problem with good accuracy.

The reason I need to get a new barrel is so that I can shoot cast bullet reloads at my clubs indoor range over the winter. Besides the fact that I have a friend with a commercial bullet casting business and can save a ton of money.

I am not going to shoot a bunch of cast bullets out of the stock Glock barrel. I am also not worried about spending $150-$175 for a barrel that will allow me to shoot cast bullets.

I have reloaded 130,000 various caliber rounds with Dillon dies on my Dillon 550 over the last 15 years without incedent, I will at least try the 40 dies that I have, if it gets to be a problem then I will get different dies, no big deal.

What I dont want to do is spend $150+ on a barrel that is pure junk, so I am asking for people with first hand knowledge about their experience with the various replacement barrels out there.

From my experience you usually get what you pay for. Right now I am leaning towards KKM or maybe even Bar Sto.

If there is a cheaper alternative that will work as well I would like to hear about it.

NX,

Sounds logical to me... I'd run with the plan you have.

I use a standard Dillon resize die in 40... never had a problem in any of the 40's I load for (2 glocks with both factory and aftermarket barrels, a Sig 229, and some S&W autos). I've heard all about the EGW-U die and it sounds cool... but I haven't seen a need for it. The dillon die works fine for me, my cartridges all fit-check into my chambers and life is good. Maybe I got lucky and got the only Dillon die that sizes down far enough :lol: . I shoot mostly lead and moly-encapsulated bullets, some plated, and almost no jacketed (bear creek moly bullets work fine for me, so why spend the extra $?). Been loading 40 since the G22 came out, lost count of how many have come out my 550.

Yeah, I'm a sucker that fell for the whole kaboom "myth". Guilty as charged, but have never had a kaboom myself. I shot the stock glock barrels plenty, then upgraded to aftermarket conventionally rifled barrels with SAAMI spec chambers when they became available. I did this for several reasons:

1. I can afford it, a small price for peace of mind

2. What if stock unsupported chamber + overworked brass really do increase risk?

3. lives/hands/eyes are worth more than the cost of a barrel

4. I don't like excessively working my brass, or struggling to resize it

5. My stock glock barrels perform poorly with lead bullets

6. I like the option of shooting lead bullets without undue risk (real or imagined)

7. I like being able to visually confirm that my barrel supports the case at 6 o'clock

8. My glocks don't seem any less accurate or reliable with aftermarket barrels, so why not?

9. The money I saved shooting lead vice jacketed has more than paid for the barrels.

I have had no problems with my KKM G-35 barrel, I like it. I also had a 1911 with a Bar-Sto that was awesome. Those are the two barrel manufacturers that I have personal experience with. That doesn't mean that every KKM and Bar-Sto barrel will act the same. I think that there is some variance between specimens from the same manufacturer. For instance, ParaJoe's Bar-Sto barrel has a tight chamber that may contribute to some FTF problems he had... maybe he will chime in and share his experiences. I've also read multiple reports on this forum about KKMs with excessively tight chambers, with associated failures to feed... Never seen one though.

Your plan makes sense. Recommend you call Kevin McIntyre at KKM and get some info on his barrels. I bought my barrel direct from KKM this way (maybe a contributing factor to getting a "good one" :D ). You may also be able to request specific chamber dimensions, but not sure.

You might also want to check into Storm Lake and Lone Wolf barrels. They are less expensive (about a hundred bucks), but I have never seen or handled one. I chose to bypass these brands for the KKM, in part due to threads on this forum indicating some problems.

The reason I amgoing to get a standard rifled barrel isnt to look cool (it would take much more than that to make me look cool) or that the stock barrel doesnt perform well.

It has gobbled up the few hundred jacketed reloads I have produced so far with my "Dillon" dies no problem with good accuracy.

The reason I need to get a new barrel is so that I can shoot cast bullet reloads at my clubs indoor range over the winter. Besides the fact that I have a friend with a commercial bullet casting business and can save a ton of money.

I am not going to shoot a bunch of cast bullets out of the stock Glock barrel. I am also not worried about spending $150-$175 for a barrel that will allow me to shoot cast bullets.

I have reloaded 130,000 various caliber rounds with Dillon dies on my Dillon 550 over the last 15 years without incedent, I will at least try the 40 dies that I have, if it gets to be a problem then I will get different dies, no big deal.

What I dont want to do is spend $150+ on a barrel that is pure junk, so I am asking for people with first hand knowledge about their experience with the various replacement barrels out there.

From my experience you usually get what you pay for. Right now I am leaning towards KKM or maybe even Bar Sto.

If there is a cheaper alternative that will work as well I would like to hear about it.

Im just wondering from everyone that use's the EGW die do you still get some reloads that dont case gauge or should I say dosent get rid of the bulge? I suppose if I or anyone goes with KKM barrel they can choose to buy rolled sized brass. From what Ive heard case bulge isnt issue anymore? Just a thought. <_<

Do to some experiences this week I will throw in my dice to the pile. I have a Barsto Barrel in my G22 and it has a tight chamber. I can get my calipers down the lead (sp), or where the case is supposed to headspace on the shoulder/crimp of the case, and it measures .419. Halfway into the chamber measures .424 and the mouth of the chamber measures .430. So it's almost like a funnel. I tried to load "book" standard loads of .420 crimp and they will not feed at all. Jam-o-matic on every round. So I had to gradually reduce the crimp to .415 to get it to feed. This caused a lot of pressure with the powder charge. So back to the bench and downloaded the powder to 4 grains and then 3.8. Same problems with pressure. So I tried a few small rifle rifle primers and no go. My RS trigger kit will not set those off. So I went back and tried something else. I loaded some rounds out to 1.135 OAL, .420 crimp, and 3.8 grains of Titegroup with the Federal small pistol primers. I had to manually feed the rounds into the Barsto barrel and they STILL showed signs of high pressure. So I put some through the stock Glock barrel, which fed perfect by the way, and they also showed signs of high pressure. So I have all but given up on the pressure issue. Just crimp it and shoot it.

Note: I reload on a 550b, Lee sizer, seater, and a factory crimp. I'm a poor military bastard. I didn't have the money to spend on the EGW or Dillon dies so I have no experience with these to speak of. But here are my measurements with the standard Lee sizing die. Run all the way down until the die touches the shell plate. Once fired WWB Glock Brass. It averages a .417 on the mouth and a 420 by the web. Good enough for gubmint work and good enough for me. I will say that I use no case lube at all except for the left over mineral spirits from the tumbling and once firing Glock brass is a biotch to size. I have gone to resizing in front of the TV with a Lee hand press. The press runs cleaner and smoother this way.

Note: I did not purchase my barrel. I won this at a match so it paid for my match fees. If anything it has been an annoyance rather than a cool factor.

Your mileage may vary. I'm just your average idiot working through this. Thanks

Joe

NX, guess you did not read my first post. If you just have to have an aftermarket barrel get the Lone Wolf. It is as good as any of them at half the price. OTOH if you want to waste money get a Bar-Sto or KKM. I have always felt some of the barrels, Bar-Sto and KKM, were way overpriced.

The lead bullet issue, with stock Glock barrels, is the oldest Internet myth. Ranks right up there with firing out of battery and the dreaded unsupported chamber myth.

I have put well over 20,000, probably closer to 30,000, lead bullets through my G34, G35 and G21 without any problem at all.

I run the KKM in my G34 and reloading for it using either the Dillon or Lee Sizing Die. Using either the Lee or Dillon Die, they both pass the case gauge and barrel test. No problems. Currently loading at 1.150.

I have a KKM in my 35 and have been reloading with a Dillon Square Deal B. I get about 1 case that won't fit in the barrel every 200+ rounds. These are all range brass too.