Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who Chews Gum When They Shoot A Stage

mike cyrwus

I don't chew gum, but I move my jaw in a similar manner during LAMAR. I can't remember where I read it, but the reason I do it is that I read that it is very difficult for your body to be tense if your jaw is loose. Works for me.

It's not part of my pre-stage ritual to get a piece of gum, but more of an accident when I show up at the line chewing it. I've noticed in videos our group sometimes shoot at matches that sometimes I stop chewing while shooting and other times I never stop. I tend to look smoother when I don't stop chewing, so I guess it's an indicator of how relaxed I was during that run.

I searched the archives and came up with a mention that Eric G has been seen chewing gun during a stage.

I really believe that the brain capacity required of chewing gum is distracting the "thinking" part of my brain and allowing the "shooting" part to take over.

It does help. I think it clears the mind to focus on receivng inputs. Maybe gets rid of nervous energy to focus on the task at hand.

A pilot by profession, I chew it on every flight too. Since my stick time is reduced to mostly takeoffs and landings now, a new stick for each.

Can I borrow a stick of Beeman's? I'll pay you back.

Yep, I chew gum a lot too. But I usually spit it out when walking up to the stage. I think it does help me with "match jitters". I'm more relaxed when I chew gum. If it is a very fresh piece then I'll just tuck it between my front lower teeth and my lip. Makes it look like I got a dip in.

Lately, I have gotten into this ritual of consciously thinking about breathing at LAMR, Shooter ready?, Stand by, and BEEEEP. Usually, I take a deep (cleansing?) breath in at Shooter ready, exhale at standby and take another deep breath in right before the beep.

I think that helps with relaxing the neck and shoulders, which I think translates better through the arms and into the actual gripping of the pistola.

Edited by Chills1994

Chewing gum seems to keep the brain somewhat occupied so that I can shoot "on auto pilot".

A while back a snow ski instructor told me to whistle whenever I hit a patch of ice. The slight distraction kept me from tensing up (which usually resulted in a crash & burn).

Same concept, different sports.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...